The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-26-2017, 06:22 AM

Default PayPal safety

Does anyone have any insight or experience in using PayPal linked to a bank account instead of a credit card or sending money to PayPal? Is this an easy way to get your bank account hacked or is it safe? Recommended or not?

Jack
Old 03-26-2017, 06:59 AM

It's a bank transfer. Your risk would be like the risk you have with other bank transfers or direct payment.

The option for two factor authentication could make it more secure than other transactions you do.

You should do the safety you should have everywhere - strong passwords that get changed and do not use same passwords for different sites and services.

You can use their mobile app with your cel network only to avoid ways people and services can be compromised.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:55 AM

Another vote for two factor authentication on all significant accounts (ie. Paypal, Amazon, Apple, bank, brokerage, Ebay).

Also, if you don't know about "credit freezes", check out this page: http://www.clark.com/credit-freeze-and-thaw-guide

This is far better than "Lifelock" and the rest of the credit protection services. For about $30, you can tell the three credit reporting agencies (Equifax, TransUnion and Experian) to not share any of your information without you providing permission (via a password and small fee). This PREVENTS anyone from opening an account using your information, or accessing your credit information.

The only time that you generally need this information to be released is when you apply for a loan, mortgage or new credit card. This one tip has prevented at least six credit cards from being opened in my name after theft of my information.

best,

Rick
Old 03-26-2017, 09:02 AM

Default pretty safe

I've been using paypal for 3 years for my mail order business. Never had a single problem. Never been hacked, never had any money stolen. It's pretty dang safe IMO
Old 03-26-2017, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Selling guitars I used the bank account connection and didn't ship until the money was IN my bank (not PayPal).

Small buys using the bank account, larger ones I shift to using the CC.

PayPal is pretty good from my limited experience.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Another vote for two factor authentication on all significant accounts (ie. Paypal, Amazon, Apple, bank, brokerage, Ebay).

Also, if you don't know about "credit freezes", check out this page: http://www.clark.com/credit-freeze-and-thaw-guide

This is far better than "Lifelock" and the rest of the credit protection services. For about $30, you can tell the three credit reporting agencies (Equifax, TransUnion and Experian) to not share any of your information without you providing permission (via a password and small fee). This PREVENTS anyone from opening an account using your information, or accessing your credit information.

The only time that you generally need this information to be released is when you apply for a loan, mortgage or new credit card. This one tip has prevented at least six credit cards from being opened in my name after theft of my information.

best,

Rick
Yes, good points.

Two factor authentication can be easier than many realize. Quite a few sites will let you use Microsoft's or Google's authenticator apps.

Using a TNO password manager like LastPass is another thing to be considered here. Then one only has to deal with that strong password and get a whole lot of utility for managing private data.

Finally, make sure your computing device is not compromised or vulnerable. I get the argument from people and one group I call the XP fools or idiots who brush off patched and up to date systems but see my enterprise security appliances catch malicious activity users are not even aware of. Along this line I'll use my bank's app, PayPal app etc... on an up to date phone vs the risk put on me for a browser that might have a vulnerability. That can use the cellular network vs a public network.

PayPal done right is probably much safer than all sorts of transactions people do. Just think of how many little merchants, eateries, pubs, and gas stations do not really have the payment security they should have.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:05 PM
Dan - Charter Member

My PayPal account is linked to a savings account that serves little purpose except to be the backup to my PayPal balance. I keep only a modest balance there.

If I forget to replenish the PP balance, sometimes there are too many PP withdrawals in a month for the rules of the savings account, and the bank warns me. I could use a checking account instead to avoid this issue.

When checking out you can force the funding source to be the linked credit card instead of the PP or bank account.

I set up the account years ago when there was some advantage to having a "verified" PP account -- not sure if that is still important.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhalbert View Post
I set up the account years ago when there was some advantage to having a "verified" PP account -- not sure if that is still important.
for your first 50 or 100 transactions they make you wait like 10 days to access the money if you are not verified. They about ran me out of business those first couple of months, waiting to spend the money
Old 03-27-2017, 02:31 PM

Thanks for all the great info on this, folks. I like the idea of linking a savings account for that purpose and keeping the balance small. Thanks, guys!

Jack
Old 03-27-2017, 05:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default No problems with PayPal here

I have used PayPal for about 2 years connected to my bank account without any issues getting paid or purchasing stuff with it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic