The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-29-2014, 03:05 PM

I've had Nanos on my mini and my 12er but went to polyweb light-mediums on my 416 and prefer the tone and reduced "jangle". I'm trying a set of Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze on the mini after seeing Andy McKee at a sponsored event. The set of Nanos on the mini started getting fuzzy after a while but before they went dead. I got 6 months out of the set, but I clean my strings obsessively with fluid and a rag even though I play the mini at least an hour or two every day.
2011 Taylor GAce 12 fret SLTD
K&K Pure Pre-amp
Fishman Aura Acoustic Imaging Blender D.I.
Peavey Ecoustic E-110 Acoustic Amplifier w/effects control pedal/looper
Old 10-30-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBE View Post
Sure thing, buddy.
His post was about breakage due to metal fatigue, not tone. It is possible that you misunderstood his post an inadvertently made a straw man argument. If his post was in reference to tone, then you would be completely correct. However, as is, it is not.

Upon reading everything again, I think it is likely that you realized you were wrong. The author of the post in question was quite clear, and I'm sure you looked at it again after I called attention to it. I do understand it is a thing with younger people these days that they have a hard time admitting when they are wrong, for fear of losing face. If you aren't sure about something in the future, but don't want to risk what you feel is losing face, you can always shoot me a PM and I will set you straight!
Old 10-30-2014, 10:56 AM

The Phosphor Nanos fuzz, but not as quickly or as badly - that is to say, they will hold a crisp tone for longer...at least in my experience. I switched to them and love them because they hold tone for so much longer than anything else I've tried, and when I'm playing a lot, I have to swap out uncoated strings after a couple days, so I accept the short-comings gladly to get a month or two out of the same strings - I play hybrid style with a
1mm pick, percussive strumming, and chicken picking - I'm impressed enough to keep using them.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackmoresNight View Post
His post was about breakage due to metal fatigue, not tone. It is possible that you misunderstood his post an inadvertently made a straw man argument. If his post was in reference to tone, then you would be completely correct. However, as is, it is not.

Upon reading everything again, I think it is likely that you realized you were wrong. The author of the post in question was quite clear, and I'm sure you looked at it again after I called attention to it. I do understand it is a thing with younger people these days that they have a hard time admitting when they are wrong, for fear of losing face. If you aren't sure about something in the future, but don't want to risk what you feel is losing face, you can always shoot me a PM and I will set you straight!
Sittin' just a little bit too high up on that horse, dont'cha think?

FWIW, I also took Pitar's post to be about tone and not so much about breakage. I may be wrong in my asumption, only Pitar can comment on his original intent, but that's the way it seems to read to me.

I have also read, from some pretty reputable sources, that metal fatigue "does" play a large part in the degradation of a string's tone.

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."

Last edited by billgennaro; 10-30-2014 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
Sittin' just a little bit too high up on that horse, dont'cha think?

FWIW, I also took Pitar's post to be about tone and not so much about breakage. I may be wrong in my asumption, only Pitar can comment on his original intent, but that's the way it seems to read to me.

I have also read, from some pretty reputable sources, that metal fatigue "does" play a large part in the degradation of a string's tone.
I'm not arguing that metal fatigue doesn't negatively affect, just over what Pitar meant.

I'm not sure what you mean about sitting up on a high horse. All I did is simply try to understand why MBE acted the way he did, and then offered him some help, if he wants. If he doesn't want it, no one is forcing him to take it. Life is too short for unnessecary negativety, and I feel that a little bit of understanding and helpfulness go a long way.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I'm not arguing that metal fatigue doesn't negatively affect, just over what Pitar meant.

I'm not sure what you mean about sitting up on a high horse. All I did is simply try to understand why MBE acted the way he did, and then offered him some help, if he wants. If he doesn't want it, no one is forcing him to take it. Life is too short for unnessecary negativety, and I feel that a little bit of understanding and helpfulness go a long way.
What I mean is it certainly was not clear that Pitar was talking about string breakage as opposed to loss of tone. In fact, after re-reading it 5 or 6 times it seems more like his comments "were" about loss of tone (again, he may not have intended it that way but that's the way it comes off). So telling MBE that he is wrong, and that he cannot admit that he is wrong, and that you are the one that can straighten him out is not exactly "a little bit of understanding and helpfulness going a long way".

It just sounds so high handed.

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 10-30-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
What I mean is it certainly was not clear that Pitar was talking about string breakage as opposed to loss of tone. In fact, after re-reading it 5 or 6 times it seems more like his comments "were" about loss of tone (again, he may not have intended it that way but that's the way it comes off). So telling MBE that he is wrong, and that he cannot admit that he is wrong, and that you are the one that can straighten him out is not exactly "a little bit of understanding and helpfulness going a long way".

It just sounds so high handed.
What Pitar wrote did seem clear to me. On that point I think we will have to agree to disagree.

About MBE, my response to him wasn't completely motivated by just his behavior in just this thread. He does have a history of being unnecessarily difficult and often refuses to acknowledge when he has been proven incorrect. But I also understand no one is perfect, myself included.

About being "the one that can straighten him out", that way of putting it is giving a false implication about what I had said. My intended meaning was to offer to clarify anything for him, within my knowledge, related to guitar. I do admit I could have been a bit clearer on that. I also don't hold any illusions of being the only one that can offer him, or anyone else, help.

All I am doing is trying to offer another person some help and understanding. I'm not trying to come off as better as anyone else, as I am not. I have benefited from others being helpful and understanding towards me in my life, and I am grateful for it. I never felt that their positive actions ever put them up "on a high horse". I just like to pay it forward, as it were. If MBE doesn't want it, he doesn't have to take it, and that will be that.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
What Pitar wrote did seem clear to me. On that point I think we will have to agree to disagree.

About MBE, my response to him wasn't completely motivated by just his behavior in just this thread. He does have a history of being unnecessarily difficult and often refuses to acknowledge when he has been proven incorrect. But I also understand no one is perfect, myself included.

About being "the one that can straighten him out", that way of putting it is giving a false implication about what I had said. My intended meaning was to offer to clarify anything for him, within my knowledge, related to guitar. I do admit I could have been a bit clearer on that. I also don't hold any illusions of being the only one that can offer him, or anyone else, help.

All I am doing is trying to offer another person some help and understanding. I'm not trying to come off as better as anyone else, as I am not. I have benefited from others being helpful and understanding towards me in my life, and I am grateful for it. I never felt that their positive actions ever put them up "on a high horse". I just like to pay it forward, as it were. If MBE doesn't want it, he doesn't have to take it, and that will be that.
Let's take this to private messaging. I'm sure people here don't want to hear the rest of our conversation.

Last edited by billgennaro; 10-30-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:19 PM

Do any of you guys get bored to the eye teeth with these type of questions?

It just gets to the point where those that like 'them' defend them. Those that don't 'don't' and those that pour oil on troubled waters pour.

It's so subjective and is really tedious.

Guess I don't have to read them and acknowledge I'm a volunteer . . .
Old 10-30-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmay View Post
Do any of you guys get bored to the eye teeth with these type of questions?

It just gets to the point where those that like 'them' defend them. Those that don't 'don't' and those that pour oil on troubled waters pour.

It's so subjective and is really tedious.

Guess I don't have to read them and acknowledge I'm a volunteer . . .
I must say that Elixir has to be doing something right, to make people feel so strongly either way about strings.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
I must say that Elixir has to be doing something right, to make people feel so strongly either way about strings.
You're right. As it happens I use Elixirs exclusively on my three Martins and am deeply satisfied with them and never having had an issue with them.

But then someone comes a long and just seems to 'stir the pot' one way or the other.

Fact is, strings (of whatever flavour) are not really THAT expensive. So why not just try a set and make up your own mind. One person's 'great' is another one's 'OK' and age, temperature, guitar, humidity, experience are all variables which posters have no control over. It's SUBJECTIVE - simples.

I'm back in my box now . . . take care all.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion