The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-12-2014, 08:59 AM

Ridiculous to have to choose. I have two carbons I love. Just bought a hand built higher end wood guitar. Its wonderful. Why can't I like both?
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 09-12-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
Ridiculous to have to choose. I have two carbons I love. Just bought a hand built higher end wood guitar. Its wonderful. Why can't I like both?
It was a hypothetical comment, meaning I like the wood tone more. As in I had to sell all but one guitar to save my home or family, that's all, I don't plan on getting rid of my Rain Song.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:47 AM

I personally wouldn't have an all wood guitar if there is a better choice. I happen to not like wooden pegs for one thing although I still have them on my fiddle. Innovation happens! In many cases our choice is to accept it or continue to play on antiquated instruments. Sometimes the innovation is not clearly better or worse, it's just different or the results are inconclusive.

We're not playing on lutes, lyres and cat gut anymore because the modern guitar is clearly better (unless you are a lute player who refuses to accept change). We now see 7 strings and more, harp guitars, DoBros, tuner changes, string improvements, X bracing, etc…

Carbon fiber is just another direction that seems reasonable to go in. I have played about 6 or 8 different CF guitars. Some I have liked better than others. I have played probably on the order of 30 or 40 wood guitars. Some I have liked better than others also. The carbon fibers I have played are a smaller sample, but all the production ones I have played are definitely as good as any mid range ($500 - $2000) guitar I have touched or better.

Of acoustic guitars only, I currently own two carbon fiber guitars and three modern wood guitars. All have their unique place in my life (though I am considering selling my 7 string wood acoustic). I might give it to my kids someday though because it has a wonderful sound and I still use it for picking.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Played several...not a fan... Please don't try to tell me the difference between a carbon fiber and an Ovation. Neither one is made entirely of wood, that's all I care about.
My mama taught me that "if you don't have something nice to say, it is best not to say anything at all." Maybe you missed that lesson, because I'm sure your mama taught it to you as well.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 09-12-2014, 01:04 PM

Congrats, billder. I have a Rainsong Hybrid series WS that I love (and a Martin that I love). Don't let the CF haters rain on your NGD parade!
Old 09-12-2014, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

I played a Rainsong hybrid series 6 string acoustic/electric at GC today. Wow! What a surprise. Excellent sound, and loved the neck. Am definitely considering it for a future addition to our collection. Does anyone here know how consistent the sound is? I'm used to the variability of wood guitars, where with two identical models, one will sound superior.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 09-12-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Played several...not a fan.

I traded my Ovation years ago and I haven't missed it.

Please don't try to tell me the difference between a carbon fiber and an Ovation. Neither one is made entirely of wood, that's all I care about.
Sold my Ovation CC057 years ago and don't really that guitar either. However, carbon fiber rocks and there are a handful I would love to own. Love wood guitars too. I will say this: write about carbon fiber guitars or the latest reviews and they will read. Sell the carbon fiber and they will buy. There is a major trade-off to the cost of CF guitars, and that is their practicality. Try taking any all wood instruments anywhere you want to go and getting "away" for a moment in practice. You just can't do that with wood. Can't wait to get my Shorty. It will sound great next to my Breedlove.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
I played a Rainsong hybrid... Does anyone here know how consistent the sound is? I'm used to the variability of wood guitars, where with two identical models, one will sound superior.
Sean,

I spent a bunch of hours reading threads on AGF Carbon Fiber forum, and the "other" CF forum. It seems the consensus is that CF guitars are very consistent within a given manufacturer and model. It makes sense... less variables, and the CF material & resin are super consistent (whereas wood varies significantly in tone quality). Consistency is often stated as an advantage of CF guitars.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!

Last edited by billder99; 09-12-2014 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Thanks! That's reassuring. Now I don't feel I have to hurry back, and get the one I played today.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 09-16-2014, 11:57 PM

Quote:
You can ..... it's up too you

Last edited by tomana; 10-23-2014 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:30 PM

UPDATE: For the last 6 weeks, I have played nothing but my Rainsong WS-1000. It has required focus and a bit of determination, but my left hand is now used to the N2 neck and my ears have become accustomed to the balanced crystalline tone.

I prefer the more complex, warmer, richer tone of my wood guitars (Mahog/Adi being my fav combo)... but it has taken a lot of play time to come to that conclusion. The balance and note separation is so striking on the CF guitar... for lead playing, no acoustic is better. I play melodic rhythm and fills for vocal accompaniment, and in spite of the difference I make the CF work... it is very sensitive to dynamics, and I focus on that to put depth into a song.

However
, I didn't get the Rainsong for tone... I got it for it's ability to withstand harsh travel and it has done that in ACES. I have traveled up and down the Baja twice, put the guitar in the back of my stiff-suspension 4x4 truck with the sun on it all day, played early in the morning on the NoCal coast in cool moist dewy air... I actually dropped it hard (first time ever dropping a guitar) face down on a wood deck, not a scratch... wanted to give it a real test, and it has passed with flying colors. This beast is frickin' durable!!!

I'm now playing it more thru an amp and I like the Fishman electronics... the tuner is surprisingly good, and tone is as good as my K&Ks... I will always hate the barn door, can't stand the look, but oh well.

I'm glad I got the WS-1000. I really wanted a Shorty or OM size body, but I am used to the feel, projection and volume of a dread. This guitar is monstrously present in any group, loves single note work, fantastic for playing in a band. One last thing... I get tons of high complements on the look of the WS-1000... again, not really my aesthetic style, but it is cool that so many people love the look.

I am very happy to have taken the leap by trying a CF guitar, and I could not be happier than I am with the quality of Rainsong.

Last edited by billder99; 10-23-2014 at 10:35 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:07 AM

Well written and thought out. That is the CF journey in a couple paragraphs.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 10-24-2014, 04:49 AM
Charter Member

Hey Billder:

Congrats on the guitar. I got my rainsong out of necessity but now I play it because I love the sound. (Though my Stonebridge Is the one I go to for pure tone euphorea).

I also find the Rainsong/fishman/aura combo a very versatile system for live sound. Especially in situations were the sound system is not optimal.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 10-31-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Well written and thought out. That is the CF journey in a couple paragraphs.
Thanks Doubleneck. I actually loaned my E10D to a visiting musician for the last 5 days so back to my RS... still loving the Rainsong... I do think I will eventually move to a smaller body Rainsong, as that is my travel guitar... the WS-1000N2 is BIG!... gotta get to LAG to see Ted and compare to a Shorty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Hey Billder: Congrats on the guitar. I got my rainsong out of necessity but now I play it because I love the sound. (Though my Stonebridge Is the one I go to for pure tone euphorea)....
I also find the Rainsong/fishman/aura combo a very versatile system for live sound. Especially in situations were the sound system is not optimal.
I have been considering investing in an Aura for a long time, I'm a fan of Fishman engineering... regarding the Rainsong, the compression function of the Aura may be just what is needed to tame the beast... hmmm. I occasionally see them used for very good deals, which appeals to my parsimonious Irish heart.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Same for me; bought my Rainsong OM for play-anywhere durability, and love the almost piano-like tones. I love guitar, and am thrilled to have one I can keep in my car on just about any given kind of day. I also find that while we obsess over "tone", when I take the guitar out and play, it simply sounds like a guitar to anyone listening. I'm fortunate that I love it, though.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber