The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-30-2014, 02:42 PM

Great post. Thanks.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Mister Skydog.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:07 PM

According to Wiki, back in 2003 Rolling Stone had Duane ranked #2 in their top 100 guitarists, just behind Hendrix. In 2011 he was ranked #9. I know that these rankings can be very controversial but it's great to see Duane get recognized.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Duane's slide style, along with that of a certain guy he taught, Joe Walsh, inform all of my bottleneck playing. There were certain ways Duane attacked a note on slide that I learned. I've since branched out into lap steel as well, but still, the acorn doesn't fall very far from the tree.

And yes, I think Duane made Layla.

Bob
I'd love to hear the story of how Duane taught Joe to play slide. Was it before or after Joe got famous himself? I find it interesting that many famous artists had friendships with other already famous artist in their pre-fame days. Such as Glenn Frey and Bob Seger. Don Henley and Kenny Rogers. Tom Petty and Don Felder. Steve Earle and some semi famous Texas singer. I'm sure I've heard of other similar stories, but can't recall specifics.
When I was growing up in Katy Texas it was rumored that one of the members of ZZ Top owned a certain home. And that the band practiced there. It being a small town in those days, I passed by the house often and kept an eye on it to see if I could spot anyone I recognized. The vast majority of the time it appeared deserted. Then for periods of time there would several cars. But I never a person in the yard/driveway etc.
It never occurred to me that I would have any success in going to the door and saying " Hi, I'm a big fan and I want to be friends (and maybe get a guitar lesson or two). Much less getting back stage at a concert. But it appears it does (or did) work sometimes if you have the chutzpah to give it a shot. And that perhaps the associations were of help to the wannabe musicians.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:29 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Duane taught Joe when they were both touring and their paths crossed. Joe was with the James Gang. Joe said he had to modify Duane's technique because Joe doesn't pick with his fingers like duane did. Joe also shifted his slide to his middle finger. Joe's "Rocky Mountain Way" was intended to be his coming out as a serious slide player.

Duane was also a friend of Don Felder and also taught him to play slide. Quite the evangelist for slide, Duane. Of course you've heard that one of Don's students in Florida was "little Tommy Petty." Hilarious.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic