The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-17-2013, 09:01 AM

Default Stonebridge guitars....?

what do they sound like? compared to other makes?
Old 12-17-2013, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have never played one but have heard very good things about them. Here is a youtube video of singer/songwriter Dave Gunning talking about his Stonebridge guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvMYh6N3DRw

Dream Guitars now carries Stonebridge and Al Petteway and Paul Huemiller know really good guitars. I hope that you get a chance to check them out.

Best,
Jayne

Last edited by jaymarsch; 12-17-2013 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Correct a misspelled name
Old 12-17-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae View Post
That's just undercover name for Furch guitars.
http://furch.cz/
Search youtube.
I visited their showroom in Prague last year just to have a look and left with OM-32. You would have to pry it from my dead cold fingers.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae View Post
Hi Rae...

I played one and sat across the room from it for about an hour. It sounded and played nice. It was OM sized with Rosewood/Spruce.

Sure didn't set me on fire. It was no better than guitars which cost less.

My thought is, one guitar is not enough for me to make an overall judgement of a company on.

I'd love to play a few more to see if it raises my opinion of them.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-17-2013, 11:36 AM

I bought a mahogony OM-32 SM once, very nice guitar, but returned it the next day - tone was just way too bright for me.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Default Stonebridge guitars....?

Reminded me a bit if Taylor in terms of sound, perhaps a bit warmer. Would be on my list, along with Eastman, if I was in the market.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 12-17-2013, 12:27 PM

I have owned three and had two more in my possession for a while and I can tell you that they are as good or better than any guitar (custom, boutique or mass manufactured) I have ever owned. The one guitar, out of more than 30, I regret selling was a Stonebridge G25SR. I go back from time to time and listen to recordings and wonder what I was thinking to get rid of that guitar. I then owned a D33SR that sounded awesome but was too big. I now own a OM33SMDB that is my main stage and home guitar. It just sings to me and it has cured my GAS more so than any I have owned. Give one a try. You never know.

Kendall
2022 Yamaha FG5
2010 Taylor DN3
Old 12-17-2013, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallhadden View Post
I have owned three and had two more in my possession for a while and I can tell you that they are as good or better than any guitar (custom, boutique or mass manufactured) I have ever owned. The one guitar, out of more than 30, I regret selling was a Stonebridge G25SR. I go back from time to time and listen to recordings and wonder what I was thinking to get rid of that guitar. I then owned a D33SR that sounded awesome but was too big. I now own a OM33SMDB that is my main stage and home guitar. It just sings to me and it has cured my GAS more so than any I have owned. Give one a try. You never know.

Kendall
Hi Kendall...
I want to play yours!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-17-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Kendall...
I want to play yours!

I wish you could play mine Larry. It would be a great visit and an awesome learning session for me. Hope all is well!
2022 Yamaha FG5
2010 Taylor DN3
Old 12-17-2013, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallhadden View Post
I wish you could play mine Larry. It would be a great visit and an awesome learning session for me. Hope all is well!
Hi Kendall

Closest we got to your neck of the woods was Nashville this fall. I'd love to stop and see you one of these trips 'east'. Georgia just was not in the cards this time round. Needed to return to Cheyenne, and we'd already taken a week longer than we planned when we left.

We are loving retirement, and are enjoying the season (Christmas). We've been to 5 Christmas concerts so far, ranging from school programs to Lincoln Brewster Concert (plus Mannheim Steamroller and a College Vesper's Choir and Orchestra and Tuba Christmas Concert at the Depot).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 03-09-2014, 09:54 AM

Default My New Stonebridge!

I just purchased a Stonebridge S24SK from Roger Schmidt, the North American distributor of Stonebridge Guitars, at Brickhouse Music in Kitchener, Ontario. I'm turning 50 early next year and I decided that I wanted a legacy quality instrument - cheaper and safer than a fast car and every bit as fun!

This guitar is a killer!!! I''m no virtuoso, but in 36 years of guitar playing I've played countless acoustic guitars and heard countless more, but NONE, at any price, have the combination of tone, volume, balance, playability, build quality, and sheer beauty of this Stonebridge guitar! This Grand Auditorium model is truly a heritage instrument that can be easily called world class! IT IS A STUNNER!!!!!

I was looking for a dreadnought and Roger had a D24Sk in stock too, which sounded beautiful, but this Grand Aud. had power, balance, and note separation at a whole different level! TONS of headroom, articulated notes all up and down the neck, a true heritage/legacy instrument that I'm proud to say will hopefully be enjoyed by many generations of my family in years to come.

Here's some of the specs -

- Hand cut German Spruce = tons of silk in the very tightly grained top which is individually graduated, not just built to model specs.
- Master Grade EIR - very chocolatey with lots of beautiful grain throughout
- Venetian Cutaway
- Padauk Rosette and Body Binding
- Mahogany Neck
- Ebony Bound Ebony Fingerboard, Bridge, Tuning Heads, and Headstock Overlay
- Beautiful pinstripe maple inlay incorporated in the body binding along with the paduak and on the headstock too.
- VERY versatile, great for finger style, flat picking or strumming.

Yep, I'm gushing, but in my search over the past several months for "The Guitar," I've played dozens of instruments from every imaginable manufacturer - Martin, Larrivee, Taylor, Collings, Goodall, Bourgeois, Gibson, and more, and although all excellent instruments this Stonebridge IMHO blows them all away! When Roger played that first chord for me it was so powerful and full, balanced, and articulate, I was taken aback! Then when I played it and could feel the notes resonating in my own body I was very surprised!! It is more than a cannon, it's a Howitser, and gorgeous to boot. Go to my FB page to see some pics - https://www.facebook.com/Dave.Craig.1965

I whole heartedly recommend Stonebridge Guitars. I think they're the best kept secret in guitars right now and you should grab one before the prices go up!! BTW, with the CDN/US exchange rate, you'll do even better!
Old 03-09-2014, 10:09 AM

Excellent and underated guitars, their higher end models are right up there with the boutique makers for me. Im sure i'll own one at some point.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 03-09-2014, 10:30 AM

I stopped into Rodger Schmidt's (North American importer/distributor of Stonebridge) store in January. I played most of the models and was extremely impressed with the top end om deep bodied adirondack rosewood guitar he had in stock.It was a beautifully constructed instrument,great top, koa binding. Very responsive, with great balance and sustain.
I am traveling to Europe in 2 months and am currently arranging to get a similar instrument built for my by Furch. Plan on picking it up when we drive through Brno (on the way from Vienna to Prague) and fly back to the US with it. If all works out this will be substantially cheaper.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:53 AM

I've had quite a few. A Stonebridge G42CR, which just didn't sound right, a Furch G22CM, which was dead, a Furch D22SR, which was too resonant - the open strings just rang on forever, a Stonebridge G20CM, which was dead. Then the good ones - a lovely Stonebridge D22CM, beautiful guitar, just eventually found the body too big, and Furch D42CR, wonderful, but I wanted a resonator, so regrettably sold it.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:41 AM

They sound great !
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion