The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-18-2015, 10:40 PM

Question LOTS OF QUESTIONS HELP! I am a newbie

Hey guys, so a few questions, please give me your opinion and help! Greatly appreciated!

As you read, keep in mind i want to try to save up, i've spent a lot on the guitar itself, i feel kind of guilty, but also keep in mind that i do have money xD. So give me some options that are the "bang for its buck" (aka best price to function/ worth ratio)
---------------------------------------
1. Lately i bought a "Lakewood M32CP" with a "LR Baggs Anthem Pick-up". I would like to record with it, however i have absolutely no clue to use it, i tried Google but not had much luck. So how exactly do i use this thing to record? An interface? Are there other options?

2. I also want a microphone for singing, i play mostly fingerstyle guitar but lately ive been singing a lot as well, I currently have an USB condenser mic from Samson, so i want something a bit better. Anything suggestions? I know Rode NT1 have great reviews, but buying that for around 400 and phantom power for around 100 plus what i have to buy for the Lakewood is a bit much.
(and if this mic is also good with recording guitar that would be great, as i have other guitars with no other ways of recording other than a mic. So does that mean i should look for only condenser mics if i want good vocal and guitar? i have no clue)

THANK YOU FOR READING THROUGH ALL THAT! ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED

Zordinary
Old 03-19-2015, 06:34 AM

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-07-2023 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:36 AM

Since you ar emovingup from a USB mic (good idea to do so), I'd encrouage you to read this sticky thread over at homerecording.com:
Intro to Multitrack Recording

Basically, what you need (besides a decent mic or two) is an audio interface. People here will encourage you to mic your guitar when recording for the best overall acoustic sound, too.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

Last edited by MikeBmusic; 03-20-2015 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:16 PM

Thanks! I will check it out, do you have any suggestions for affordable interfaces? And if i get this interface would i still need to get a better mic (would doing so dramatically increase quality or is the ratio mediocre? )
Do you have any recommendations for a mic (vocal and acoustic)
Old 03-19-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Since you ar emovingup form a USB mic (good idea to do so), I'd encrouage you to read this sticky thread over at homerecording.com:
Intro to Multitrack Recording

Basically, what you need (besides a decent mic or two) is an audio interface. People here will encourage you to mic your guitar when recording for the best overall acoustic sound, too.
Thanks! I will check it out, do you have any suggestions for affordable interfaces? And if i get this interface would i still need to get a better mic (would doing so dramatically increase quality or is the ratio mediocre? )
Old 03-19-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimogbert View Post
I've been reading this incredibly extensive thread from the Reaper software forum. Postings by 'yep' are from a recording engineer who explains things quite clearly (nice analogies).

His approach is to encourage you to listen and work with what you have rather than cruise catalogs for more and more gear. There are basics of course but without knowing the basics of setup and experimentation you'll just buy lots of stuff and get poor results.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=29283
Thanks, ill take a read soon!
Old 03-20-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zordinary View Post
You won't be able to use the USB mic with a USB audio interface, so you will need to upgrade a mic as well.

Steinberg UR22, Scarlett 2i2 or 2i4, Tascam 2x2 (there are many more) are all decent 2-input interfaces and good places to start. they all provide phantom power for condensor mics.

Microphones can be a very personal choice - what works best for your voice is not necessarily the same as works best for someone else's. I use an AKG Perception 220 (new model is the P220) for most of my vocal and guitar recording. I've compared the tone with my other (not expensive) dynamic mics and found it to be consistent in tone production - since I added acoustic treatment to my tracking room. Prior to that I was recording in my largest available room to minimize near-wall flutter echo.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-20-2015, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zordinary View Post
Do you have any recommendations for a mic (vocal and acoustic)
I'm satisfied with my Focusrite Scarlett 6i6; for your needs I agree that the Scarlett 2i2 or 2i4 might be a good interface with just enough of a feature set. You could consider the ADK A6 for a mic to cover your vocal and acoustic needs; lots of mics to choose from.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD