The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-07-2010, 08:32 AM

Having never even seen an Eastman, let alone heard or played one, I can't offer an opinion. But I will tell you that if you decide on a Martin DX1, right now Elderly has a "limited" supply of them that are packaged with a Martin logo-embroidered gig bag, polish and cloth, picks, strap, strings, string winder and a pitch-pipe (?) all for the same price that other vendors like GC and Musicians Friend have for the guitar alone.

1977 Martin M-38
1982 Stelling Staghorn
2013 Larrivée D-40R
2014 Andrew White Eos 1011 (sold)
2016 Pisgah Possum
Old 04-07-2010, 08:41 AM

You can do much worse than an Eastman for your first guitar. I wish I knew about Eastmans when I first bought a guitar...

However, the best advice I could give you is that if it's the Martin sound you're after--and you're gonna have to ask yourself this question--then get a Martin (a used D18 could be had around 11 bills). If the Martin sound is not that all important, but quality and price is--get an Eastman. Get a used, all-solid wood Eastman for around 6 bills!

Jason

---------------------------------

'09 Martin D35
'08 Taylor 816ce
'73 Yamaha FG700
'09 Chuck Gilbert Dread C/M
Old 04-07-2010, 08:48 AM

As you can see in my signature, I have two OM's, a Martin and an Eastman. Both are quality guitars, and I enjoy playing each of them.

However, if one had to go, it would be the Eastman. It's a wonderful guitar, but its fit and finish are not as good as my Martin's, and the clarity of the notes is not quite as good.

Also, though it is a very pretty guitar, the finish on the Eastman is more delicate than the Martin's. I bought the Eastman new a year ago, and I've managed little dings all over the place. The Martin is a 2005 model, and it's ding free as far as I can tell, with the exception of a couple of small places which resulted from the installation of a pickup. I haven't dinged it playing, although I know I will. I have a gift to ding! I'm the third owner of the Martin, having bought it last July. All I'm saying is that the nitro finish on the Eastman is more delicate than the nitro finish of the Martin.

So, if you can buy only one guitar, my suggestion goes for a D-1 or, preferably, a used D-18.. The Eastman is a really good guitar, but if you've got the Martin sound in your mind, only a Martin (and maybe a Blueride) will satisfy that.

Best to you in your search.

Bill
Old 04-07-2010, 10:22 AM

If your married, hock your wife's engagement ring and buy both guitars. If your single, you should be able to afford both guitars anyway.

Stanford PSD-21
Martin HD-28V
Martin 000-15
Fender DG100

I once thought that I had made a mistake. But, as it turns out, I was wrong.

www.chilhoweemountainband.com

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/slowpickr?feature=mhee
Old 04-07-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixiron150 View Post
If your married, hock your wife's engagement ring and buy both guitars. If your single, you should be able to afford both guitars anyway.
Do the first and you'll become the second.

Bill
Old 04-07-2010, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

I thought this was an interesting comparison: http://www.massresonator.com/2009/05...-eastman-420b/

The Eastman 420B may not be a current model anymore, however.

I have owned a Martin for 43 years now. If that's what you want, my advice is that you really should save up for it. The advice to look for a used D-18 I think is a very good suggestion. http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

Regards, Glenn
Old 04-07-2010, 11:27 AM

I'm not sure it's wise to "pit" one against the other. They will both have a "unique" signature sound -- not to mention the fact that no tow instruments of the same brand ever really sound identical.

If you know the "sound" you hear in your head (thinking guitar, of course) -- then buy the one that most closely matches it -- regardless of the brand.

YHMD (your hearing may differ) -- I said that.

Peace,
Bill
Old 04-07-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acehigh08 View Post
The fact of the matter is I can get a nice used eastman 4 series or better for cheaper than I can get a martin 1 series or x series.
In the US, a used 15-series or 16-series Martin is priced similarly to a new Eastman.

While you're right that valuewise, nothing compares with a used Eastman, it sounds like you'd be happiest with a Martin.

FWIW, I own a Martin, an Eastman, and a Blueridge. The Eastman is my favorite, but the Martin is a close runner-up. While the Blueridge does have a nice sound, the high-gloss poly finish makes it very un-Martin-like. Martin also generally has better build quality and nicer necks than Blueridge, IMO.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 04-07-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by random works View Post
Well, this is a chance to honor your dad. Believe me, this could mean a lot to him, and although I like an Eastman, " nothing sounds like a Martin" probably means a lot to him.

Guitars come and go.

You are fortunate to have a dad that played guitar, double so that he played acoustic.

Does he still play?

Anyway, here's my 'vote' ...MARTIN as the best thing to do.
Yes my father still does play. Called me the other night exited as a schoolgirl, because he just got a new D-18. Thanks for asking.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:12 PM

Default hello!

I am not a fan of Martin guitars, that said they make a wonderful instrument and unlike my favorite guitar of the past (Gibson), they maintain a consistent level of quality and are well worth the extra money. Now enough of this even handedness...

I would suggest that you not forget Taylors and give them a try (warning: bias here!!!!!). Despite complaints about Taylor "brightness," they are good at traditional music and are worth the effort it would take to try them out.

I have not had any experience with Blueridge products, so I cannot comment.

However I have had some access to Eastman guitars and feel that they are a value for what they are asking for their product. Solid woods - top and tonewoods - nice figure in the maple series, a variety of body styles and what I percieve to be a unique voice - somewhere between gibson and martin territory.

If you can afford to save for a Martin, the scotsman in me says go for the name and quality. But if you would like a quality instrument to tide you over until the time comes for an investment in a name brand instrument, then Eastman is a great value.

And after all this, I would suggest that you not forget to play as many of the guitars that are mentioned here as you can and don't be afraid to buy the one that sounds best to you. I find that if I really like the sound, I'll play the guitar more, if I don't...then it sits in the closet and is sold when I get over being disgusted with myself for buying it (and it pains me to say that I went through that with my last gibson).

Good luck to you.

john

Martin OM-15m custom

Opinions subject to change due to experience...
Old 04-08-2010, 04:10 PM

Thank you all for your wonderful advice. I have found it truelly helpful. This is a great site, and I have been telling all of my acoustic playing friends about it. Again thank you to everyone.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:57 PM

If it's a dread you're interested in I would check out those Eastman AC320B / AC420B models. Lots of value in those used and new IMO. I've seen them sell used for crazy (low) prices.

I might as well point out (someone likely already has) that I don't know that Eastman is trying to capture Martin tone, even in their dread body guitars. The quality of Eastman guitars is supposed to be outstanding and if I was in the market for an affordable dread I'd likely jump on one of the ones mentioned above. I'm a fan of the 1-3/4" nut and an Adi top would be great. You will pay a heck of a lot more for a Martin with an Adi top.

Last edited by 66strummer; 04-08-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:12 PM

I think I'd rather have a Martin and be sorry about spending the money than to NOT have a Martin and be sorry I DIDN'T spend the money.

Back in the day Buicks, Oldsmobiles and Pontiacs were fine cars......but they weren't Cadillacs!
Old 04-08-2010, 09:27 PM

I saw some Eastmans and they were impressive, but they're not Martins. But I might prefer an Eastman to some of the lower end Martins. I'd buy a Larrivee. Actually I did buy a Larrivee, four times.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion