The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-28-2010, 08:16 AM

Default Need advice on cable configuration

I have an ES equipped taylor that I want to run into a signal chain that will be unbalanced. I already have the inline transformer from radio shack and have used that before with good success. My question is that i have heard horror stories from some people about the quarter inch part of the transformer breaking off into whatever it is plugged into. Is this accurate? Has anyone else had this problem? What are some ways to fix it if so? Thanks for your input
Old 09-28-2010, 03:48 PM

I am using the same transformer for over a year with no problems. I suspect it depends on how you care for your setup and where it is used.

The transformer (RS) is pretty sturdy and i am careful with all my stuff.

Depending on where you place the transformer in your signal chain, i suppose it could be more prone to breakage. For example, my signal chain goes something like this ... Taylor, TRS/TRS cable, transformer, TurboTuner (inline tuner), and short TS/TS cable to DI box. So my transformer sits on the floor away from me - less chance of mishap. But if the transformer is used to connect to say an acoustic amp then it may have a higher chance of mishap.

2cents.

Ken
Old 09-29-2010, 07:26 AM

doesn't seem like you'd be getting any benefit whatsoever from the TRS/balanced output with a setup like that. Check and see how clean your signal is with regular guitar cords especially if you're going into an unbalanced pedlaboard, etc.

Otherwise if the balanced cord turns you on, then get the Taylor balanced breakout box so you have an unbalanced output for a tuner and a balanced output for the mixer or snake.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:11 PM

thanks for the advice, just wanted to know if anyone else had had this issue as well, just wonder if anyone had also found a similar adapter with a female 1/4' end instead of the male one?
Old 09-30-2010, 06:03 PM

so what are you plugging into ?? An amp? or into and FX processor or EQ? Pedal board? Wondering why you need an unbalanced chord.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion