The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-26-2017, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

By the way, in the spirit of Toby's recent thread on improving our conversations:

The OP never asked about case-vs-uncased. He never talked about humidity or temperature or exposure. He was deciding between a floor stand and a wall hanger and asking about stress on the neck.

Most people made up their own question to answer and said " case versus hanger......yada yada yada" but didn't even discuss the OP's question.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 06-26-2017, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
...It's very difficult to control humidity and temperature when a guitar is out in a large room (vs. nice and comfy in a case).

Your strings will also die quickly when exposed to the elements.

Casual passers-by or neighbors may be treated to a great view of what you have to steal.

So yeah, hanging guitars on the wall is a great idea.
This ^^^ indeed.

Santa Cruz H13
Huss & Dalton 00 Custom
Santa Cruz OM Grand
Boucher SG21G
Collings CJ35
Bourgeois Slope D Custom
Furch D22TSR
Gibson J45 Deluxe
Furch OM MM
Larrivee OM-02
Paul Beard Resonator
Nashville Tele
Slick SL-55
Sire Larry Carlton S7
Slick SL-60
Harmony Comet
PRS SE Silver Sky
Custom S Type
Thinline Tele
AXL USA Artist
AXL USA Bulldog

Old 06-26-2017, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
By the way, in the spirit of Toby's recent thread on improving our conversations:

The OP never asked about case-vs-uncased. He never talked about humidity or temperature or exposure. He was deciding between a floor stand and a wall hanger and asking about stress on the neck.

Most people made up their own question to answer and said " case versus hanger......yada yada yada" but didn't even discuss the OP's question.
True enough.

As long as they're not on an outside wall, arguably the wall is a safer place than a stand as they're less likely to be kicked off balance by a careless person or pet.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:01 AM

I hang about 70 guitars on the wall at any one time. Larger stores hang hundreds. If there were any issues, the thousands of guitar stores around the world would long ago have invented a different way to display instruments.

There's effectively zero extra tension/pressure/whatever from hanging the guitar on the wall, especially relative to the 170 pounds or so of string tension—that's like there's a teenager hanging from your guitar!
• AGF-only discounts
Free Shipping + Free Returns
Shoreline Rewards
Videos
• Guitars from Taylor | Mcilroy | Larrivee
• Stage gear from K&K | Fire-Eye

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...s/namm_x_6.jpg
Old 06-26-2017, 08:23 AM

I have seen the occasional person miss the wall hanger at guitar stores. I have also had a basement flood. I keep my stuff on floor racks and not in a basement. I also lock the door because I have an EVIL 5 year old.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:36 AM

Oh my...fazool is right!
I missed the point, and along with many, hi-jacked the thread down a trail I thought was pertinent.
I was wrong.

With that established, please allow me to respond to the OP--

In choosing between leaving a guitar on a floor stand vs a wall hanger, I know of no reason to worry about a wall hanger causing any undue stress on the guitars structure in general, or the neck in particular.
Guitar stores do it all the time with no adverse consequences.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

In the spirit of a wide ranging conversation of interest, I'm for a rambling discussion.

The only thing that grinds my gears is folks telling you what you should buy because they have one.

OP: "So, how about those Waterloos"?

Someone Else: "You should look at Eastmans"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post

Old 06-26-2017, 09:03 AM

Wall hangers are way better than floor stands IMHO.

They're usually cheaper.

They save floor space.

More secure. Any floor stand can be knocked over. Someone mentioned earthquakes, I don't live in such an zone, but other than the building coming down (in which case, all bets are off, including cases) I don't see how a wall hanger is less secure than a stand. If nothing else, the higher something is, the less likely they'll be hit my something else falling, and I can't see a quake shaking a guitar off something like a Hercules-style hanger no matter how severe.

I think they display the guitar better, you look at it straight on and more at eye level.

If one is talking about kids, the intoxicated, or the klutzy, again a wall hanger beats a stand. In some rooms, with some heights of kids you can even keep them largely out of reach.

To protect the wall and the back of the guitar you can put a bumper on the wall behind the body of the guitar. A small carpet sample can serve for that.

Negatives? Multiple guitar stands keep more guitars in reach. I have 7 guitar stand right behind me when I record. I can just reach back and grab a different axe if what I had been playing isn't working for the tune.

Someone mentioned what I'd do if I had a Ferrari. I'd build a ramp so that I could drive it up onto the wall of my favorite room right next to the ramps for my Porsche and my Sting Ray, just so I could look at it when I wasn't driving it. I would prefer that to keeping it inside a car cover in a garage that I didn't spend as much time in myself.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 06-26-2017, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

This is what I have for a floor stand, Hercules Stands Hercules Guitar Rack -5 Space. Not in the way, difficult to knock over.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:24 AM

Speaking of earthquakes I used to live in Alaska, where I experienced many more seismic events than I ever perceived during my nine years in Northern California (except the big 1989 Loma Prieta quake that caused the Bay Bridge and Nimitz freeway collapses). My Hercules hangers always worked fine.

Depending on which direction the motion came from, the guitars would either swing out away from the wall a bit and settle back into place, or rock side to side on the pivoting mount -- just like the picture frames did. Either way, I felt much better about their security using Hercules grabbing wall hangers versus floor stands. But you have to do whatever lets you sleep at night and brings you enjoyment.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:30 AM
Guest316

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
True enough.

As long as they're not on an outside wall, arguably the wall is a safer place than a stand as they're less likely to be kicked off balance by a careless person or pet.
Or angry spouse.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Someone mentioned what I'd do if I had a Ferrari. I'd build a ramp so that I could drive it up onto the wall of my favorite room right next to the ramps for my Porsche and my Sting Ray, just so I could look at it when I wasn't driving it. I would prefer that to keeping it inside a car cover in a garage that I didn't spend as much time in myself.
Someone should market a clear, see-through guitar case, then we'd all be happy and safe.

I might be able to get behind something like this.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:49 AM

Yes, absolutely. All guitar stores do it even with their most expensive acoustics. No problem at all with the neck. Just control the RH in the area. Mine hang on the wall 24/7 all year long.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 06-26-2017, 09:51 AM

I think it's a great idea! I have a fantastic wall for them - you can hang as many as you want there!
Old 06-26-2017, 10:08 AM

You asked about excess strain on the neck and the the neck-body joint. I see this question come up regularly, and it's interesting in light of the forces already in play.

Think about this--if you have a typical dreadnought strung with typical medium gauge strings, you have about 185 lbs of tension on the strings. The nut and the saddle (or if you prefer: the neck and the body) are being pulled together by 185 lbs of force. Go to light gauge strings, then it's more like 165 lbs. Go to heavy gauge strings, then it's over 210 lbs. Ignoring for the moment exactly how any forces from a hanging guitar would be directed (i.e. ignoring how the weight of the supported neck is negated by the yoke, and only the weight of the body comes into play when calculating the force subtracted from the heel joint but added to the string tension), a typical dreadnought weighs abut 4.5 lbs. I simply cannot see how adding 4.5 lbs of stress to a joint already operating under well over 150 lbs of tension, and overbuilt to handle more, could possibly cause an issue.

Tuning any strings up induces much more stress than the weight the guitar. Increasing the gauge of even one string a single hundredth of an inch is about the same tension increase as the weight of the guitar. The mere act of strumming increases the tension more than the weight of the guitar.

My experience is that hanging instrument (even banjos, which have much lower string tensions and higher body weights) causes no problem, and that makes sense to me based on the my analysis above.

Hope that helps.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion