The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-24-2017, 11:58 AM
Guest 1928

The TS pick is natural wear. That is my pattern for modifying other picks such as Blue Chip.

The process is pretty simple. I use a six-sided nail buffer and just reshape the rounded edge to match what I see in my natural wear pattern. Start with the coarsest cutting surface and work my way down through the finer surfaces on the buffer. You could use a file for the coarse work if you wanted.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:58 AM

How do we define "performance improvement?"

“We are all bozos on this bus."

1967 D-28 (still on warranty) / 1969 homemade Mastertone / 1977 OME Juggernaught / 2003 D-42 / 2006 HD-28V burst / 2010 Little Martin / 2012 Custom Shop HD-28V / 2014 Taylor 356ce 12 / 2016 Martin D-28 Authentic
Old 06-24-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCawber View Post
How do we define "performance improvement?"
For me, its more volume, cleaner and more articulate tone, no noise,neutral sonic coloring, and enhanced control.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:03 PM

The bevel's effect depends on how you hold the pick. On really thick picks (2-4.0) I think a speed bevel works really well because it reduces the contact area considerably, mimic-ing a thinner pick at point of contact. (Few of us hold the pick so that the wide beveled surface contacts the string; it's the thinner, "front edge" of the bevel that contacts the string.) On thin picks (1.0) I find no benefit in a speed bevel.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

I wouldn't buy a pick that doesn't have aspeed bevel now hence my fondness for Wegen & BC.

However I've got some old picks large triangle picks that I might have a go at tomorrow - just as an experiment.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=Mick's Goat Whiskey Picks;5385524]Another thing too for the folks who think they're not advanced enough to benefit from a bevel.

I'd agree here and defer to Mick's pick wisdom. I finally purchases an expensive pick for mandolin (sorry, Mick, it was from another well know source-I was led astray by my mandolin instructor but I now repent!). This pick came with a speed bevel option that I chose and it makes a significant difference in the speed and tone of my playing. I"m a rudimentary mando player at best so I would encourage all who are considering trying out a speed bevel not to wait until you're 'good enough'. Time's a wastin' !
Old 06-26-2017, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
I'd agree here and defer to Mick's pick wisdom. I finally purchases an expensive pick for mandolin (sorry, Mick, it was from another well know source-I was led astray by my mandolin instructor but I now repent!). This pick came with a speed bevel option that I chose and it makes a significant difference in the speed and tone of my playing. I"m a rudimentary mando player at best so I would encourage all who are considering trying out a speed bevel not to wait until you're 'good enough'. Time's a wastin' !
No worries about that at all my friend. I don't use my picks for mandolin either. My picks are fairly specific to the guitar family. For mandolin I either use a 1.5 Primetone triangle or a Dunlop Americana pick. There are probably better out there, but my mandolin abilities are rudimentary at best and these work for what I do. You should hear my picks on a Dobro though!!
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 06-27-2017, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Default Speed Bevels experiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I wouldn't buy a pick that doesn't have a speed bevel now hence my fondness for Wegen & BC.

However I've got some old picks large triangle picks that I might have a go at tomorrow - just as an experiment.
Only got around t this today - had an old JD purple (1.14) triangle, a Clayton translucent yellow 1.14, and a D'andrea pro-plec 1.5 m/m.

I got some sanding pads of various roughness (?) and finished off wth Jeweler's Rouge on a rough piece of leather.

I modeled the bevels I sought to achieve on a Wegen TF and a BC TAD 40. So, six bevels on each pick!

The best result was on the old Dunlop Purple pick, but I didn't achieve the angle or extent of the Wegen bevels.

I haven't "road tested any as yet ..... tomorrow.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Only got around t this today - had an old JD purple (1.14) triangle, a Clayton translucent yellow 1.14, and a D'andrea pro-plec 1.5 m/m.

I got some sanding pads of various roughness (?) and finished off wth Jeweler's Rouge on a rough piece of leather.

I modeled the bevels I sought to achieve on a Wegen TF and a BC TAD 40. So, six bevels on each pick!

The best result was on the old Dunlop Purple pick, but I didn't achieve the angle or extent of the Wegen bevels.

I haven't "road tested any as yet ..... tomorrow.
Silly, I look forward to your report once you play these. Once you get better and faster at it, you can perhaps begin to apply your bevel design to other picks. It's a popular feature, although I confess I don't seem to be a good enough player to notice the difference. Ah well.

Thanks for your post!

scott memmer
Old 06-27-2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
The TS pick is natural wear. That is my pattern for modifying other picks such as Blue Chip.

The process is pretty simple. I use a six-sided nail buffer and just reshape the rounded edge to match what I see in my natural wear pattern. Start with the coarsest cutting surface and work my way down through the finer surfaces on the buffer. You could use a file for the coarse work if you wanted.
This is exactly what I did one time. Worked great.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 06-28-2017, 04:26 AM

Speed bevels were originally designed to replicate the wear pattern that develops over time. That can be a subtle "ramp" to the rounded edge.

My thoughts are "go big or go home" so I bevel the full width of the edge. The bevel creates its own attack angle.

Here's what it looks like on a 4mm pick.

If you look at the right side of the photo, you can see the profile of the original edge at the top of the pick.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:00 AM

I've got a 1964 D-28 (BR), an elephant ivory saddle and a TS pick (No bevel)! A triple CITEs offender, "Give me some cover fire, I'm gonna do Wildwood Flower"

Fog
Old 06-28-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogducker View Post
I've got a 1964 D-28 (BR), an elephant ivory saddle and a TS pick (No bevel)! A triple CITEs offender, "Give me some cover fire, I'm gonna do Wildwood Flower"

Fog
I take it you're not on the World Wildlife Fund mailing list?
Old 06-29-2017, 11:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogducker View Post

Fog
Shhhhh. I won't tell anyone fog; it's our little secret.

sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion