The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: How long will you keep Elixirs on your guitar before you have to change them out?
One week? 3 2.34%
Two weeks? 3 2.34%
Three weeks? 7 5.47%
Four weeks 10 7.81%
6-8 weeks? 36 28.13%
Forever and a day? 69 53.91%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-23-2017, 03:17 PM

Default UPDATE- 4 weeks

Got a gig tonight and I had to make a decision of which guitar to bring. I made a quick recording yesterday of my Taylor 614ce with 4 week old Elixirs on them. I made an 11th hour decision to change out the strings to D'Addario Nickel Bronze and did a quick follow up recording. Here's what I can ascertain...

I like the tone on the Elixirs a lot, even after 4 weeks. The new NB's sound brash and have too much shimmer right now. However, what I think my major complaint about the Elixir strings after time is the loss of bass projection. Maybe I'm looking for a 814 sound on a 614, I don't know. I can see how some folks might keep them on their guitars for a long time. I'll have to see how the NB's mellow out in a couple days, but at this point, it was a trade-off; Bass response and too much Taylor shimmer vs mellow tone and receding bass.

Edit: Did the gig with the 614 and new NB strings. After an hour they settled in and were less brash. My buddy who also has a 614ce (2007 3 piece back) came to play. He had 4 week old Polywebs on his, so I asked him if I could play his guitar for a moment. I hadn't paid much attention when he put the strings on 4 weeks ago, but what was even more apparent with his guitar was that the 4 week old strings had totally lost bass projection! The general tone of the strings was still there, but his guitar sounded "castrated" and weak.

So at this point I think I prefer the tone of newer Elixir nanos. And while they do seem to retain their tone for a long time, I think my objection when they age is the loss of projection, bass projection in particular. Maybe I'll change my mind, but I've got to try to find some cheaper sets. $16 for a set of strings? Seriously?
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

Last edited by vindibona1; 06-24-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:20 PM

I get about 6 months on the guitars I play regularly. I can get a year or 2 out of the stuff I'm not playing.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:41 PM

No, the coating comes off. Depends on what you mean by "last".
Old 06-23-2017, 04:43 PM

Yes, they do
Old 06-24-2017, 01:50 PM

I've made some recordings so I can listen for myself and I'm a little surprised that I do prefer the Elixir sound on my Taylor. But again, the loss of bass projection seems to shorten the life expectancy on optimal sound for me. I don't know why I didn't realize it, but there are Elixir 12-56's available. I ordered a set of those with two more 12-53's. I'll have the 56's on Monday and I'll change them out then and see how I feel for the gig that I have in two weeks.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 06-24-2017, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_C View Post
Number 2 for me but... you should add:

3)Do you even think that the elixir nano or polys sound good on day one?

No sir.
Exactly! And they make every guitar sound like a guitar with Elexir strings on it.

I hate them but wish I didn't as I change strings A LOT!

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com

Last edited by Yrksman; 06-24-2017 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:54 PM

I just got a set of Cleartones for my 000-15m. I usually put Lifespan Sp's on it. I decided to try something different. So far I like them, maybe sound a bit louder than the Lifespans.

The Lifespans are great strings, I just got bored and wanted to try something different. I almost got the Elixr's but for these instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2017, 09:37 PM
Brendan @ Heartbreaker Guitars Brendan @ Heartbreaker Guitars is offline

Absolutely. Love these strings...
Old 06-25-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrksman View Post
Exactly! And they make every guitar sound like a guitar with Elexir strings on it.

I hate them but wish I didn't as I change strings A LOT!

It's all about finding the string that best balances the sound for EACH INDIVIDUAL guitar. It's all in the player's ear and what he expects to hear. Frankly I don't give much credence to others' concept of what "good sound" is as I often scratch my head in wonderment asking what beauty many hear in some of those sounds. I digress

Depending on what you want to hear some Elixir models will bring out the best in SOME guitars, while leaving others sounding less than their optimum. Elixirs are the strings I hate to like because while they seem to be the best sounding string for my Taylor (at this moment) $16/set (WTF???). And while they seem to maintain a decent tone for a fairly long time, the loss of bass projection will make me want to change them out before the actual tone begins to fail.

So my next step in finding the Elixir that will last the longest is to step up to 12-56's in hopes that the heavier bass strings will compensate for some of the projection loss over time.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:02 PM

I simply don't subscribe to the theory that it takes a certain string brand to bring out the best in a guitar.

As I've said before, if that were the case with my guitar it would be on the market, not in my music room.

I think far too much attention is focused on finding the right string brand and not nearly enough on finding the right guitar.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 06-25-2017, 10:19 PM

about ten minutes

it goes: eu, elixers! gotta find something else. aha! there's my changing tools!

*everything* is a tone control
Old 06-26-2017, 06:38 AM

You're supposed to change strings??? 😨😨😨

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion