The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-30-2017, 10:39 AM

Default Played a new Breedlove Concerto Saturday

Went down to Ye Ole Guitar Shoppe Saturday to see if they had anything new and they had one of the new Myrtlewood Concerto E guitars. Myrtlewood top and solid Myrtlewood back and sides.

I was really impressed with how big and deep it sounded. If it was painted, I would have never guessed it was a Myrtlewood guitar. I have played the all Myrtlewood Concert sized Breedloves and I thought those were a lot to bright for my taste. The Concerto sounds very different. Their website says “ Engineered for big lush sound, playability and comfort.” I would say that is accurate. It is certainly not a D-18 killer, volume wise, but it was significantly louder than my Engelmann topped concert but just as comfortable to play. I’m not buying one but I did like it. I’m hoping the shop gets one of each of the Concerto line. I’m very curious to try out the Legacy and Premier models.
Has anyone else gotten a chance to play one of the new Concerto line guitars? I would love to hear reviews from experienced players.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

On Saturday, I also got to audition a new for 2017 Breedlove Oregon Concerto E Sitka Spruce/Myrtlewood, and a new for 2017 Breedlove Concert Fire Light All-Mahogany. These U.S.A. made guitars were shipped ahead by a Breedlove sales rep who wants my favorite local shop's owner to check them as a prospective Breedlove dealer. I found both of these guitars sounding very nice and I may consider a Breedlove, which I've never owned, as a possible future purchase.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 01-30-2017, 02:58 PM

Interesting, I guess they are starting to get them out.
I really like the look of the Legacy Concerto. Adirondack top, Koa back and sides but what I like is the Celtic Knot inlay on the fret board and around the soundhole. Yes, yes... call me hipster but that guitar "looks" like one I should own. Probably should try it first...
I'm still paying off used custom shop Breedlove Concert so no new guitars for me, ... for a while.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

I just played the myrtlewood Oregon Concerto today and I just absolutely loved it. I played a number of Martin and Taylors as well but it was the Breedlove that got the majority of my time. I think if it had had a cutaway it would be sitting on my lap at home now, and the wife would be angry! LOL

Very, very nice guitar and it just played very nearly as easily as an electric as well. I will play it a few more times as I narrow down my search for my next guitar but it is definitely a contender and I honestly only picked it up because it looked so different.

EDIT: Just to clarify, the guitar I played had myrtlewood back and sides and the myrtlewood top as well.

Last edited by jim777; 02-12-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:01 AM

Default Breedlove Premier Copper E Concerto

I was down at AVM on Thursday last week and they had just gotten in several new Breedloves, including the Premier Copper E. Its the new concerto body size, with a Sitka top on EIR B&S. Its very comfortable to hold and play, but it is very deep at the lower bout (5 inches). Its appearance was classy, with a nice simple, thin abalone rosette, and nice shading. The rosewood was also attractive with an all gloss finish. It is a great guitar for somebody looking for a full voiced strummer. The bass was incredibly full and my overall impression is that it was very even and smooth sounding. The action was perfect for me and the neck was just right. (I have a Breedlove concert now and I really like the feel of that guitar as well, so I may be slightly biased). Overall fit and finish seemed very nice. At just over 2K it may appeal to someone looking for a powerful sounding strumming guitar, not sure it would be best for finger style playing. They also have a Legacy version, Koa & Adirondack, as mentioned earlier, and a Masterclass version, Cocoblo & Adirondack, both of which I would like to see in person. Its a nice, different, and powerful new body shape that I think may be worth your while to try if you have the opportunity. I was very impressed.
2018 Larrivee Custom OM-10 Rosewood/Alpine Moon Spruce/Torch inlay
2018 Taylor 524ce LTD NAMM Show all-walnut
Old 02-12-2017, 09:11 AM

Breedlove and Bedell in their American lines are both making some interesting guitars currently and are often overlooked.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:19 AM

My wife has a 2016 Oregon concert all myrtlewood.
I really like the sound & looks wise its killer
Fishman Loudbox Mini

https://soundcloud.com/fat-daddy-206551814

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEo...JZsD2t0JaE03xg

Last edited by kdn; 02-12-2017 at 09:20 AM. Reason: no reason
Old 02-12-2017, 09:30 AM

My Breedlove American C25-CME can do things my Taylor 812 CE cannot at 25% of the cost....

Amazing guitar....

Breedlove American C25 SME--Neumann KMS 105---Fishman Loudbox Performer---KORG PA 4X--Tascam DP 24
God, My Guitar, & Me
Old 02-12-2017, 02:06 PM

So, is the Concerto bigger or smaller than their iconic Concert size.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 02-12-2017, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

I'd like to get my hands on one to try out. That 5" depth adds a lot to the bottom end, I'm sure.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-12-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
So, is the Concerto bigger or smaller than their iconic Concert size.
It's bigger, AZ, and they are fantastic! Tried it at NAMM, and a couple of them followed me back to the shop where I was even more impressed.

Here are the dimensions:

Lower Bout Width 16"
Waist Width: 9.37"
Upper Bout Width: 11.745"
Body Length: 20.695"
Body Depth: 4" at neck, 5" at tail block
Old 02-12-2017, 04:35 PM

I recently acquired the Oregon Concert and I haven't put it down for 6 weeks. A good strumming guitar for me, a little wider body, mine has a cedar top, myrtlewood sides/back-----deeper, more complicated sound than the Masterclass Focus. American made Breedlove and Bedell guitars have hit my spot for price, looks, sound, and especially playability.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:35 PM

I've owned a Breedlove Cedar/EIR concert with the LR Baggs system. It was called the Focus line which also included dreadnaughts. It was built specially for GC, was a product of the Bend Custom shop and signed by Kim Breedlove. It was probably the 2nd best steel string guitar I owned after the Goodall RCJC.

I played the Breedlove Sitka/Myrtlewood concert and thought it to be better than the Cedar/EIR I had at the time. If that guitar had been available when I was looking at the Breedlove line I'd have opted for the Sitka/Mrtylewood.

Anecdotal: Kim Breedlove and James Goodall were on the same Little League baseball team as kids. I think I read that on Goodall's site.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:44 AM

I love both of my Breedloves, particularly my limited edition C20 Oregon. These concerto guitars seem to me to be a nod to the Larrivee L style body. I had an L at one point as well, and thought it was a great size box, although the 16-inch lower box was a bit much for my compact torso and short arms.

Amazing how a 15-inch lower bout can affect playability.

Do guys think I am correct that this is pretty similar to something like an L?
Old 04-19-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMFIST View Post
Do guys think I am correct that this is pretty similar to something like an L?
I thought with this body shape that they would more likely be trying to compete with Taylor GAs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
concerto