The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-25-2017, 11:17 PM

Default Your thoughts on Martin D-15 Special

Hi all, very new to this forum but had been lurking, reading and digesting posts from the wonderful folks here.

I recently acquired an itch (more like GAS) and went around shopping. Saw a Martin D-15 special that I "think" I really like.

Why "think"? Well, the time I have to try it is non-existent as it is from an online shop.

I dare not dwell on it too long as another interest of mine (a Gibson ebony J45 1960 reissue) was sold when I was still deciding.

Anyone who had played this consider it a worthwhile purchase?

How's the tone like? More suited for strumming, finger-picking or flat? Or a good all-rounder?

I already own the Martin D-28, Gibson J45 Vintage and Sigma SDR-18VT. Will the sound complement what I already have or it'll overlap?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-26-2017, 04:09 AM

I own an earlier version of this guitar

Aside from a few cosmetic differences, upgraded tuners and bone for the nut and saddle it's the same guitar as the Martin D-15 Special. It's also about $600 cheaper. You can upgrade your tuners, nut, and saddle for a whole lot less than $600. I upgraded the saddle on mine to bone for less than $20, left the nut and tuners stock.

Personally I've found my Custom D to be a great all-rounder. I use it for flat picking, finger picking and strummer. It's also going to have a tone that's complementary to the guitars you already own. The Martin A-frame X-bracing hits a unique sweet spot. If you decide to get the Special all of this would still apply. It's a fine instrument.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 06-26-2017, 05:56 AM

My opinion, since you have a D-28, I would go for it's first cousin a D-18. Nothing wrong with a D-15 Special, but to me a standard D-18 is a bit more guitar, my .02.....

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 06-26-2017, 07:13 AM

Are you only interested in drednoughts? To differentiate a bit more from your current arsenal, you might consider the 000-15 special. That said, I don't think there'd be too much overlap with your current guitars, the d28 is a different animal, as is the j45. Dont know much about the Sigma.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:59 AM

Alas, I checked the link that you gave but it doesn't ship to Singapore. Indeed, it is priced very decently...much more attractive compared to the D-15 Special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
I own an earlier version of this guitar

Aside from a few cosmetic differences, upgraded tuners and bone for the nut and saddle it's the same guitar as the Martin D-15 Special. It's also about $600 cheaper. You can upgrade your tuners, nut, and saddle for a whole lot less than $600. I upgraded the saddle on mine to bone for less than $20, left the nut and tuners stock.

Personally I've found my Custom D to be a great all-rounder. I use it for flat picking, finger picking and strummer. It's also going to have a tone that's complementary to the guitars you already own. The Martin A-frame X-bracing hits a unique sweet spot. If you decide to get the Special all of this would still apply. It's a fine instrument.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
My opinion, since you have a D-28, I would go for it's first cousin a D-18. Nothing wrong with a D-15 Special, but to me a standard D-18 is a bit more guitar, my .02.....
You're right! I tried a D-18 at my local shop and it is indeed very sweet...until I tried the Sigma SDR-18VT and realised that at a fraction of the price, I have something almost very similar to the Martin D-18

I may still go for the D-18 though...somewhere down the long long road to GAS-dom!
Old 06-26-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiousDevil View Post
Are you only interested in drednoughts? To differentiate a bit more from your current arsenal, you might consider the 000-15 special. That said, I don't think there'd be too much overlap with your current guitars, the d28 is a different animal, as is the j45. Dont know much about the Sigma.
PiousDevil, actually no...I only quoted the dreads that I currently own

I have the Martin 000-15M - very lovely with tight sound

I also have the Lakewood M18 that took a while to open up

Or do you think I should just forget about the D-15 and go for the 00L-17?
Old 06-26-2017, 10:40 AM

If the Sigma is that similar to a d18, I would imagine there would be some overlap with the D-15 special, though I've never played the two side by side.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion