The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Old 01-23-2018, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Default "The Tree" guitar aficionado gifts/accessories

I love the story and mystique of The Tree. For those not familiar "The Tree" is arguably the most famous single woodworker-lumber tree in history, and especially prized for acoustic guitars . Please see these links (and google "The Tree Quilted Mahogany")

Olson Guitars PDF writeup
Tale of Two Trees
The Legend of The Tree
Guitar Aficionado article

In the past, I had obtained some leftover pieces of The Tree from other guitar projects. I made myself an elaborate guitar accessory box (for capos, tuners, picks etc), then a truss rod cover, an armrest and a manicure pocket knife scale set.

I was recently turned on to pen turning and reached out to Harvey Leach (very well-known luthier, inlay artist and AGF member) who previously supplied me with some pieces of The Tree. Harvey was OK with me using his name to cite my sourcing for genuine pieces of The Tree. He had a small stash of cutoffs and drops which were perfect for this and I started making some pens.

The first set I made were for him and are shown in the referenced pictures.

High resolution pictures can be viewed HERE
Quick pics can be viewed in my classified post HERE

With the encouragement of the AGF staff, I became an AGF sponsor so I could continue as an active member and also sell these guitar gift/accessories here on AGF.

I have enough for about a dozen more and I thought that acoustic guitar aficionados like myself might be interested. Each is hand-turned and every one is unique but you can apply some basic customization (do you like a slender pen or more bulbous grip, chrome, satin or 24K gold plated hardware, etc.)

Because each is unique, the profile/shape, figuring and grain will all be different. But from the pics you can see what to expect.

I am not pursuing profit on this - it is not a business. I love guitar wood and thought folks here might also. I am only selling them for a price to finance my hobby and give me an excuse to make more for my own enjoyment.

I am selling these $75 here on AGF (and $150 on eBay).

If you are interested in one of these, please send me a PM so we can discuss.

teaser: This Spring I will be making a very limited number of guitar accessory boxes with The Tree bodies and Lucky Strike redwood tops!

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace