The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 11:09 AM
Musical minimalist

Default 2009 David Webber Jumbo w/K&K and original case - SOLD - SOLD

This is a wonderful sounding and playing David Webber Jumbo in Cocobolo and Spruce. David calls it a Jumbo Shrimp because it's not nearly as large as a true jumbo - the depth at the tail only being 4". The lower bout is 16" giving it a little more power than a typical OM sized guitar while maintaining the clarity of a smaller bodied instrument.

This instrument is in great condition - only imperfection being three very small marks on the top that will take you a while to find (none even coming close to breaking the finish), and one tiny scratch on the headstock. There is some evidence of pore filler on the back of the instrument - looks like small specs in the grain. I took the picture of the back in bright light coming at a hard angle to make it show up more than in normal lighting.. This came from David's shop like this and is common with Cocobolo. There is literally no fret wear and I've just completed a full setup - action is currently slightly above 5/64 bass and 4/64 treble with just a slight amount of neck relief. I've also done some fine compensation of the saddle to dial in the intonation.

The K&K pure mini is the sound hole volume version - really helpful when switching styles of play while amplified.

Regarding the spruce top - my ears tell me it's Engelmann Spruce, but visually I'm not 100% sure - from the coloration it could be Sitka. I've reached out to David to confirm, but he's retired now and probably hiking our skiing in the British Columbia back country and not checking email.

The Cocobolo back and sides are very straight grained - the kind you won't likely see much of anymore. The bindings and headstock inlay are also Cocobolo.

Nut width is 1 3/4 - saddle spacing is 2 3/16 (spreads over the saddle and plays wider at 2 1/4) Scale length is 25.5. Comes with original TKL hardshell case in 9/10 condition - just some very minor marks on the outside.

This is a very fine handmade instrument by a builder who has honed his trade and builds very consistently good guitars that are quite sought after in knowledgeable circles. I've buffed out the body, cleaned and conditioned the fingerboard and bridge, polished the frets and put a fresh set of D'addario EJ16's on - it's ready to go!

Priced for a quick sale at 1750 and actual shipping on my Fedex account to the CONUS only - NO EXCEPTIONS - NO TRADES. Add 35 if you want to use Paypal and I'll cover the rest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 009.jpg (43.8 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg 010.jpg (40.7 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg 011.jpg (45.2 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg 013.jpg (46.2 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg 021.jpg (30.7 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg 012.jpg (24.8 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg 020.jpg (53.3 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg 015.jpg (48.2 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (65.0 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (61.3 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (36.1 KB, 217 views)

Last edited by fitness1; 02-18-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:31 AM
Musical minimalist

Would let me fit one more in -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 009.jpg (42.2 KB, 214 views)

Old 02-18-2018, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Smile What a beauty!

Wow! Love that straight grain Cocobolo...

This one needs nothing, that is for sure. If I was not overloaded this would be VERY HARD TO RESIST!!!

The seller is a lovely guy and has been helping the tech challenged here on AGF for many many years! Thanks!!!

Best on this, Todd.

Everyone be well and play pretty

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 02-18-2018, 12:56 PM
Musical minimalist

Thanks Paul - this instrument gets as close to my customs as any I've had here. I was going to keep it, but the more I play instruments more narrow than my 1 13/16 - 2 5/16 preference, the more I noticed I'm not as accurate on any of them. I can't let that happen, so I'm thinking about having Bill build me another Charis to commemorate my Father who just passed.

Old 02-18-2018, 01:59 PM

Todd, what can you tell me about the tone in comparison to other tonewoods? I really didn't need to see this guitar.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:31 PM
Musical minimalist

I think the tone and volume are a bit intoxicating - very warm and round but really nice sparkle on the top end. The shallow (4" depth) gives it nice string separation and clarity. The only Webber I've owned out of a couple dozen that may have given it some competition was my Engelmann/Claro custom that David built for me.

Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars