The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-09-2017, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Default Novice needs advice

I know absolutely nothing about recording and all the technical talk makes my head spin.

I currently record myself (acoustic guitar, no pickup, and vocals) into an iPhone 4 and use some free software (can't remember the name, something like pro audio) to upload it to my desktop computer via wifi. Then I put it on Soundcloud. One track only.

The sound quality from the iphone is not great, and it is very difficult to position the mike to get a good balance between guitar and vocal. And if it can be edited after recording I haven't figured out how.

At some point I might want to do some overdubbing for harmonies and guitar fills, or use it to record a small jam session with a friend or 2. I suppose I might install a pickup in one of my guitars some day, too.

Budget? Cheap! A couple of hundred or less.

Thanks

Bob
Old 01-09-2017, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

There's a Zoom H4 portable recorder in the AGF classifieds for $85 (from forum sponsor Tim McKnight). The H4 is an older Zoom device (the current model is the H4n and there are also 'better' audio recorders such as the H5 and H6). I've had a H4 for many years.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 01-09-2017, 09:20 AM

That question is asked here often. For people with little or no recording/technical experience, starting with a small digital recorder with built-in mics is a good start. Look at the Zoom H4n - for $200 it'll take you up a few steps from the iPhone method.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-09-2017, 09:33 AM

It's difficult to give a simple answer to the question, but based on your post I'd recommend something like a Zoom R8 and a set of good headphones. This gets you EASY overdub capabilities (it has the feel and look of a simple cassette recorder) and the ability to export to your computer via USB for actual wav file editing if you want.

Why something like the R8?

1. It sounds GOOD. The built in mics are OK to start with and you can always add a nice condenser or two later.

2. It's EASY. No computer required, it's totally silent, it's almost as easy to use as an old school cassette recorder and there's little need to fuss with the menu structure if you don't want the advance features. It can be used with battery power; go record in that old stone wine cellar if you like the acoustics!

3. It's CHEAP. On sale occasionally, it's even cheaper. An R8 and a good set of headphones are litterally all you need to start your recording adventure. After that, season to taste.

Free or low cost programs are available for whatever type of computer you use that will allow you to easily do simple editing of your tracks into a finished mix. These can then be uploaded to Soundcloud, etc. or converted to MP3 if that's desirable.

Obviously there are many directions you can take to start recording or to advance your basic needs, but I like to recommend the route that gets someone's foot in the door without computer "issues" adding any complexity to the process. Anything that frees up the process so the player can concentrate on performance and not technical details is good IMHO.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

I think there might be two parts to the answer:

1. education to fill in the gaps of knowledge - for complex topics like this, (or statistics, or accounting, etc) I'm a big fan of the "Info for Dummies" series and also the "Idiot's guide to.....". Spend some time on YouTube - search a lot of videos and you're sure to find one that effectively communicates some of the things you need to know. Sometimes just hearing the unfamiliar words a few times takes the shine off the scare factor of the unknown.

^ ^ ^ this step 1 will almost surely make the next step a little easier.

2. equipment that is user friendly- there will be plenty of that advice from the recording gurus here.

--- now when you read the user manual, some of those new terms might make more sense.

good luck!

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 01-09-2017, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I appreciate the help and will update this when I come to a decision. At this point I need to spend some time investigating my options.

Bob
Old 02-12-2018, 06:53 PM

Do you happen to have a mac? Garageband is a great program that comes with the OS (last time I checked) and not too difficult to make a simple one track recording.

I would also recommend the Apogee One microphone. There are a few different models, and if I recall correctly, there is a model that you can record directly into and don't actually need a DAW (digital audio workstation) like Logic or Garageband. The One is mono, but for recording a single guitar it's great.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

OP here. Nazump's post reminded me I never updated as promised.

I bought a cheap Samson usb mic and plugged it right into my PC to Audacity. Sounded very tinny and I couldn't adjust it to my liking.

Then a used Zoom H4n popped up here on AGF for a great price, so I scooped it up. Loving it so far.

Thanks to all who replied!
Old 02-12-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
OP here. Nazump's post reminded me I never updated as promised.

I bought a cheap Samson usb mic and plugged it right into my PC to Audacity. Sounded very tinny and I couldn't adjust it to my liking.

Then a used Zoom H4n popped up here on AGF for a great price, so I scooped it up. Loving it so far.

Thanks to all who replied!
Awesome! Glad you found something that works for you!!

By the way, I see I'm living in your neck of the woods - my wife and I just moved to the east coast recently. I'd really love to get in touch and maybe you could introduce me to some public events or groups that I could get into!
Old 02-12-2018, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

Hi naz,

Welcome to Corrupticut.... I mean Connecticut ... If you have only been here a short while you might not get the joke, but let's just say some of our politicians have been ethically challenged, on both sides of the aisle.

So I'm strictly an at home player, can count on one hand the number of times I've played with other folks. I should break out of that, but I have a lot of other interests and obligations and not sure I have any more time for guitar at this point (just ask my wife )....I know there are some open mics, but I've never been to one, let alone take the stage!

You might post something in the play or events subforums. I know we have quite a few members living in the state, and some of them might be able to point you in a good direction!

Let me know if you hear of anything promising
Old 02-16-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
I think there might be two parts to the answer:
<snip >
--- now when you read the user manual, some of those new terms might make more sense.

good luck!
Most user-friendly post in the thread. Thanks.
2015 Northwood R-80 MJ
Old 02-16-2018, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazump View Post
Awesome! Glad you found something that works for you!!

By the way, I see I'm living in your neck of the woods - my wife and I just moved to the east coast recently. I'd really love to get in touch and maybe you could introduce me to some public events or groups that I could get into!
nazump, check your pm's, I sent you what I could find out....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD