The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-11-2018, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

Default Alternatives to PreSonus Capture for simple multi-track recording to iPad?

I’d appreciate suggestions for a basic recording setup to do multi-track recording for personal use (i.e. no publishing, no complex mixing). Record scratch track and individual tracks to iPad via simple interface, then do basic mixing on real computer.

It looked like the PreSonus Audiobox iTwo and Capture for iPad combination I have would be a good fit, but Capture looks like it is on life support based on recent reviews and release history. Before I start to use the system heavily I thought I’d see if there are alternatives with a longer glide path.

It would be great if I could use the AudioBox iTwo with some other software on the iPad but if that is a throw away at this point, I am open to replacing the whole front end with a more recent alternative.

Thanks for any suggestions.

----------------
Additional info -

I have dynamic and condenser mics, but no USB mics

I have a Zoom H4n but really want a graphical interface on the iPad

I really do not want to do the basic capture to my old, noisy iMac. But I have Studio One 3 as well as Cubase LE Elements 6 on that machine for mixing purposes

I have no plans to include in the mix instruments that I do not play directly.

I think I need at least 8 tracks to cover the scratch track and instrument/vocal overlays.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:39 PM

Capture is not intended to be a DAW, just a way to capture simultaneous tracks from a mixer to then transfer to a DAW. Sounds like what you want to do is overdubs that add additional tracks to a previously recorded project/track? That's not what Capture does...you need a DAW for iPad and I don't think Presonus has one.

I've heard good things about Cubasis from Steinberg but that may be because I've used Cubase in the past. I've also heard good things about Auria and Auria Pro from WaveMachine Labs but, to be honest, the cheapest solution might be GarageBand from Apple. It will likely do what you want. Have you tried it?

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:51 PM

Spire is a new DAW. It has hardware associated with it but it works pretty well with an ipad/iPhone mic.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:52 AM

Auria is astounding. I've used it on my iPad Air.

http://www.auriaapp.com/
Old 02-12-2018, 10:44 AM

My Tascam Dr-44 stopped working. So, I just started using GarageBand with my ipad and iphone. I have good mics.

I like the way it sounds, the reverb and compressor is just perfect for what I record -- acoustic guitar and vocal, and later possibly overdub mandolin, bass, etc.

But, I like to record an hour or so straight and Garageband for ios stops at 640 measures (you can't even use a timer) which is less than 30 minutes or so.

So, I have to try something else. This is a good thread.

I will admit Garageband sounds really good for my application, it just doesn't record long enough. I've used Sonar and Reaper on PCs, but I'm simplifying life now, and that is way more power than I need. I'm old school having started with 4 track cassettes.

I've used a lot of digital recorders and DAWs. Despite what the experts say, they do sound different and I'm not sure it's just the preamps and converters.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:48 AM

Auria is awesome and way more robust than most things you'll fine.

HarmonicDog's DAW is lightweight and useful but not intuitive.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:01 PM

I’m also at a similar point to the rest of you and have opted to purchase a Steinberg UR22 mkII as an interface to the iPad. I have used an Apogee Mic into GarageBand and it’s a great combo, EXCEPT, it’s only one mic. To record vocals and guitar, I will need an interface for two - hence the UR22. I will be using it with Auria.

I have also used Reaper as a DAW and it’s a great program, but it’s tied down to my upstairs PC. The iPad will allow me to setup just about anywhere.

One note: for Christmas I got a new iPad Pro. What a difference that made! My old iPad had a habit of crashing or just not working when too many demands were made on it. The pro model takes whatever I throw at it.

Best,

Rick
Old 02-12-2018, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for all of the responses.

Looks to me like a good short term answer is to replace Capture and Studio One 3 with Auria, with the option of an upgrade to Auria Pro if I need it. The setup would then be:

Two dynamic or condenser mics linked to
PreSonus AudioBox iTwo linked to
Auria on iPad for capture and for mixing

I’ll let you know how it works. If anybody knows that it won’t, that would be great to know now.

JK
Old 02-12-2018, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

UPDATE

Looks like this simple solution works for my purposes. Certainly can get the input done through the PreSonus box into Auria. Bought the basic Auria system (not LE nor Pro).

Have not tried to use the DAW components but they seem well beyond my needs and I know I need to get through the learning curve.

Only one question for Auria users - am I correct that in the basic version I have the only way to move a project is via dropbox? Looks like there may be a direct way in the Pro version but I've been reading about it instead of doing so I may have missed something. Sooner or later I will need the space.

Thanks again for all the input.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:04 PM

My UR22 just arrived - hooked it up to the iPad and voila! Not only was it easy, I am getting great audio. I installed Cubasis LE, which comes with the interface. Then I'll try Auria. Garageband works very nicely, but it is limited - better to record on two separate tracks (vocal and instrument). The mics are a pair of Sterlings that I got from Guitar Center some years back - A large diaphragm condensor for the vocal and small directional for the instrument. They were inexpensive and yet still sound pretty good to my ears.

Even though the interface is almost the same, this seems so much easier than Reaper on my desktop computer. This should be fun!

Next project will be using the iPad to record simultaneous video. I may have to resort to a second iPad or iPhone - we'll see.

Rick

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD