The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 11:34 PM

The sad truth is that Esteban has more skills than 99% of the people who diss him.

Seems like the guitar he plays isn't much better than the ones he sells though as he goes severely out of tune in that video.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:49 PM

caveat emptor
Old 11-05-2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
People who misrepresent the quality of the crap they're selling should be held accountable. I don't care how good of a player he is. He should not be held in a position of respect.
Enough said!!

Martin 000-18GE, Rainsong CH-OM, Rainsong Vintage OM
Kopp NL, Kinscherff Concert,
Journey OF660
Old 11-05-2013, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
The sad truth is that Esteban has more skills than 99% of the people who diss him.
Indeed - that's pretty nice playing in that video.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:54 AM

Why do you guys not like Esteban??

Jealousy? Or maybe we just need to hate somebody? I dunno.

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 11-05-2013, 01:23 AM
Charter Member

seagal is for real, at one time the first and only american to have an Aikido school in japan. i think he married his sensei's daughter-need to double check that info but if my memory from a couple decades ago is right..............

enjoy some early Seagal-a real master Aikidoka:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/94751/...th_dan_aikido/

d
Old 11-05-2013, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Yep.

Another superb musician who has become the punch line of innumerable jokes is Zamfir, master of the pan flute. I first learned of Zamfir and heard his music when I was living in Scandinavia in the early 1980's, where he was treated with immense respect, not only as an instrumental virtuoso, but also as a composer of classical music for orchestra and pan flute.

But in the United States he apparently took some bad advice and made recordings of inoffensive music that didn't challenge him or anybody else. When these recordings got flogged in late night television infomercials, it became fashionable to poke fun at him.

But Zamfir's a genius musician, and fortunately the classical music station here in Anchorage plays his orchestral compositions quite often. The program director at the station trusts his own good taste, and doesn't worry whether Zamfir is getting sneered at by people who haven't actually bothered to listen to what the man can do.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 11-05-2013, 04:32 AM
Guest4562

I don't dislike Esteban, I just don't want one of his guitars.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:53 AM

People dislike Esteban because it's human nature to diss someone who is successful for a number of disparate reasons. I'd bet 99% of the people who sneer at him wouldn't go up against him in a picking challenge. Conversely, I'd also bet a vast majority of that 99% would attach their name to a crap guitar to market on shopping channels if they thought they would be making big bucks off it as well. When the herd mentality gets involved in piling it on someone there's usually no stopping the tide as is evident in the occasional Esteban knocks posted on AGF. Personally, I'd be happy if I had 10% of his skill and I'm willing to bet I'm far from alone on that score. So someone is capable of finding a clip of him playing with a guitar going out of tune... what does that prove about his musicianship really? I don't have a dog in this fight as I'm not altogether familiar with his act, but I do agree somewhat he has created a persona that is an act. Wow, he's really on the fringe in entertainment with that one thing huh? All I've seen him do basically is some tv commercial and watched him pitch his guitars while channel surfing ONE night. The guy demonstrated several genres of music he claimed to be able to teach you with the cd included in the guitar purchase. I found that rather ostentatious, but his demos of it were perfection to the max. And then there is the fact that he's apparently NOT a member of this forum and therefore unable to defend himself from the criticism. If he were, I think the Esteban remarks would disappear nearly altogether. Human nature is amusing to observe in all its infinite varieties. Now, those claims Denny Zager makes deserve to be called out. Esteban as a performer... not so much.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:06 AM

Default Why?

I can answer in three words.

"Not my genre"
Old 11-05-2013, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
Why do you guys not like Esteban??

Jealousy? Or maybe we just need to hate somebody? I dunno.
That's me! He has a cool hat and I don't!

He's making mega-bucks, and I'm not!
Old 11-05-2013, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Yes, Estaban is a good player. That's it. So what?

In spite of that I have zero respect for him. He pawns cheap garbage to an unsuspecting public claiming it's the best value for the money which it never was in the first place. Buyer beware, but it's pitchmen like him that keep that phrase alive and well.

He also pitches a ridiculous learning method which like his guitars promise the world but are absolutely worthless.

I've seen many students and beginning players with holding those Fischer Price toys in their hands (actually, Fischer Price builds better products) with looks of disappointment because their guitars were falling apart. Should they have known better? Probably but it's the ignorant consumer that Estaban and his company preys on which is no different then most of those that are presented on late night T.V.

Wade said that he's probably crying all the way to the bank and I can assure you he is as he lives in a very wealthy suburb on Long Island. However Wade, the only thing that this guy has done right, the only way he's 'lifted his way out of anonymity and become a household name, something very few guitarists manage to do' is to become a very smart con man.

Zamfir on the other hand pitches his music. If you like it you buy it. There's nothing hidden or devious about it and it's not made to look better by commercial lighting.

Estaban? Zero respect for that guy. Absolute zero. Besides, has anyone ever seen Estaban and Zorro in the same room?

Ok.. I'm done.

Last edited by Toby Walker; 11-05-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:49 AM

Must be an American thing. . .

Never heard of the chap 'til now.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:51 AM

You have to admit, he dresses cool. I wish I still had the hat from my Zorro costume when I was 7 years old.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
You have to admit, he dresses cool. I wish I still had the hat from my Zorro costume when I was 7 years old.
Isn't that his first name: "Zorro Esteban"?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion