The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-15-2024, 01:29 PM

Default Is Ibanez positioning to compete with Cordoba for this market??

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had experience with the Ibanez AEG5ON. I'm always on the lookout for an 'entry level' nylon string cutaway with a narrower nut, like the Cordobas, so when I saw the AEG5ON at the local guitar shop for $329 I had to check it out and was pleasantly surprised, especially for the price. The shop owner has refused to carry Cordoba up to now because of quality control issues, though now that they've been bought by Yamaha that could change. Anyways it's good to see that another manufacturer is getting into that growing niche of hybrids.
Old 01-15-2024, 04:45 PM

I have no experience with the Ibanez model.

Among entry-level priced acoustic-electric nylon hybrids, I generally don't expect exceptional acoustic tone so I examine instruments for (a) quality builds and (b) quality electronics. These instruments are meant to be played amplified.

The Ibanez AEG50N at $330 looks like it has a rather basic onboard preamp (volume & "shape" controls only) paired with an under-saddle piezo. It may work well if you have a good amp with built-in equalizer controls.

The lowest-priced Cordoba hybrid is the Fusion 5 at $460 with uses the Fishman Sonitone VT. I don't know much about this electronics unit other than that it has two dials (presumably volume and tone) in the soundhole. Like the Ibanez, it may need to be paired with a better amp.

The Yamaha NTX1 is worth a look at $460 as it has a 3-band graphic EQ (with volume control and AMF) paired with an under-saddle piezo.
Old 01-15-2024, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Nelson View Post
I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had experience with the Ibanez AEG5ON. I'm always on the lookout for an 'entry level' nylon string cutaway with a narrower nut, like the Cordobas, so when I saw the AEG5ON at the local guitar shop for $329 I had to check it out and was pleasantly surprised, especially for the price. The shop owner has refused to carry Cordoba up to now because of quality control issues, though now that they've been bought by Yamaha that could change. Anyways it's good to see that another manufacturer is getting into that growing niche of hybrids.

I wasn’t aware of continued quality issues with Cordoba.

Most reviews from this forum have been positive.

Anyway, with Yamaha ownership, positive changes could be in their future!
Old 01-15-2024, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastStrings View Post
I have no experience with the Ibanez model.

Among entry-level priced acoustic-electric nylon hybrids, I generally don't expect exceptional acoustic tone so I examine instruments for (a) quality builds and (b) quality electronics. These instruments are meant to be played amplified.

The Ibanez AEG50N at $330 looks like it has a rather basic onboard preamp (volume & "shape" controls only) paired with an under-saddle piezo. It may work well if you have a good amp with built-in equalizer controls.

The lowest-priced Cordoba hybrid is the Fusion 5at $460 with uses the Fishman Sonitone VT. I don't know much about this electronics unit other than that it has two dials (presumably volume and tone) in the soundhole. Like the Ibanez, it may need to be paired with a better amp.

The Yamaha NTX1 is worth a look at $460 as it has a 3-band graphic EQ (with volume control and AMF) paired with an under-saddle piezo.
Thanks for putting the NTX1 on my radar, I haven't yet come across one in the stores but I'll keep looking. The amp at the guitar store was high end, but my impression was that the AEG50N has a decent sound for its class, plugged in or acoustic; good projection, consistency across the fretboard, and a relative lack of problematic overtones. With a proper set up, including a bone saddle and nut, it might could work.
Old 01-15-2024, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborne1 View Post
I wasn’t aware of continued quality issues with Cordoba.

Most reviews from this forum have been positive.

Anyway, with Yamaha ownership, positive changes could be in their future!
I have a Cordoba I like and treat very carefully because of the thin cedar top, (which has some minor warping around the bridge), but I think if you're the owner of a small guitar shop like the one I was in, it might only take a couple of bad experiences to put you off.
I'm also hoping for positive changes!
Old 01-15-2024, 08:26 PM

Quote:
I'm also hoping for positive changes!
RJVB had a bad experience with a Cordoba Fusion and he said he couldn't get satisfaction through their warranty service.

When folks are shopping for Cordobas, my recommendation is always to do a thorough inspection after the purchase and to be covered by a 30-day return policy (like Guitar Center's).
Old 01-16-2024, 07:34 AM
Get off my lawn kid

All three of my Cordobas (C5, Fusion 12 and C12) were bought from Sweetwater online and the quality is perfect.

The Fusion 12 and C12 are all solid wood. There's a noticeable difference in tone between those two and the C5, although if you bought the C5 first as I did you might not mind for a while. Technique and nails make a big difference in nylon tone.

I'm sure the all solid wood guitars would sound much better to someone who is a singer/player who just wants a nylon as a back up. I would avoid buying a laminate b/s nylon for that purpose.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-16-2024, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
The Fusion 12 and C12 are all solid wood.
I just checked for the Fusion 14 Maple I had, which AFAIK is the top of the Fusion line, and while the specs repeat several times that the top is solid no such distinction is made for the back & sides. IOW I'm pretty certain they're laminate. Which is fine, really.

And FWIW, mine sounded better acoustically than plugged in (i.e. a bit bland vs. piezo-quacky), and could stand its own among "real" classical guitars. Not really surprising for an instrument designed by Kenny Hill and that's really just a classical with a cutaway, a narrower, radiused neck and an UST.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 01-16-2024, 10:19 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
I just checked for the Fusion 14 Maple I had, which AFAIK is the top of the Fusion line, and while the specs repeat several times that the top is solid no such distinction is made for the back & sides. IOW I'm pretty certain they're laminate. Which is fine, really.

And FWIW, mine sounded better acoustically than plugged in (i.e. a bit bland vs. piezo-quacky), and could stand its own among "real" classical guitars. Not really surprising for an instrument designed by Kenny Hill and that's really just a classical with a cutaway, a narrower, radiused neck and an UST.
Wow, somehow I got the impression that my Fusion 12 was all solid woods. I thought I had confirmed that before ordering it. It does sound better than my C5 in any case.

Chalk that one up to user error, I guess I bought it because of the cutaway and mix blend pickup. I could have sworn........

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 01-16-2024 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-16-2024, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

I have been extremely impressed with Ibanez.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 01-16-2024, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I have been extremely impressed with Ibanez.
But that's a fairly recent development, right? I remember when Ibanez used to be known for poor quality. Now with the AEG5ON they have a $329 guitar made in Indonesia that is much better than you might expect. It annoys the heck out of me that you have to spend thousands for a guitar that isn't flawed in one way or another when a relatively simple build with inexpensive materials can be perfectly adequate, depending on your playing style. I had a cheap Japanese plywood acoustic that was one of my favorite guitars over the years, -so it can be done, Ibanez!
Old 01-16-2024, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Wow, somehow I got the impression that my Fusion 12 was all solid woods. [...] Chalk that one up to user error
Check the wood grain, if you see the same landmarks on the outside and through the soundhole. Maybe they made the error!

Quote:
Now with the AEG5ON they have a $329 guitar made in Indonesia that is much better than you might expect.
I've read about some very bad experiences about horrible finishing in much more expensive Ibanez jazz guitars coming out of Indonesia, recently, so maybe that one weirdly named instrument was a non-proverbial good apple!

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 01-16-2024, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I've read about some very bad experiences about horrible finishing in much more expensive Ibanez jazz guitars coming out of Indonesia, recently, so maybe that one weirdly named instrument was a non-proverbial good apple!
Which is why I would never order a guitar online. It gets good ratings though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical