The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-18-2017, 09:48 PM

Default Best (?) Power Cord?

On my pedal board I use one of these Conntek power strips (https://goo.gl/teznhp) which uses a detachable IEC cord.

The 15 foot cord I was using wore out and when I started looking for a new one I saw some people saying that they're not all the same. There's some that are even hundreds of dollars (http://www.lessloss.com/dfpc-series-p-213.html).

Does it really matter which one I use for this? Is there a difference? Will some actually help or hurt the sound?
Old 02-18-2017, 10:01 PM

I wouldn't worry about it - those are for audiophiles with more money then they know what to do with. Funny their demo's for showing it's attributes are MP3's!
Old 02-18-2017, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

A lot of it might be hype. As long as there is a good connection, it doesn't matter - the noise filtering happens after the power cord.

I'm sure the for the ultra high end applications (like super professional recording equipment a $600 power cord is worth the extra $596 dollars.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-18-2017, 10:23 PM

I wasn't really considering one of those super expensive ones, but it is a long cord (15 feet). Will a heavier gauge be be beneficial somehow?
Old 02-18-2017, 10:30 PM

#18AWG (typical lamp cord) is probably OK. If you are concerned about voltage drop, you could go #16AWG. Next increment bigger is usually #12AWG (American Wire Gauge).
Old 02-18-2017, 11:24 PM

14ga.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2017, 11:26 PM

10-12-14-16 most new houses are 14ga older homes 12ga 14ga is good for 15amp

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2017, 12:27 AM

15 Amp pedal board - that is REAL Rock-'N-Roll right there!
Old 02-19-2017, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacm81 View Post
On my pedal board I use one of these Conntek power strips (https://goo.gl/teznhp) which uses a detachable IEC cord.

The 15 foot cord I was using wore out and when I started looking for a new one I saw some people saying that they're not all the same. There's some that are even hundreds of dollars (http://www.lessloss.com/dfpc-series-p-213.html).

Does it really matter which one I use for this? Is there a difference? Will some actually help or hurt the sound?
Considering your pedal board is probably drawing less than 20W, any voltage drop across even 100' foot of 16GA cable will be negligible.

Of course, there are probably people that have bought one of those DFPC cables, then realised they had to rewire their whole house back to the service entry with the same cable as you can't expect the last 5' to matter if the rest of the cabling isn't up to scratch. Then, they realised, wait a minute, what about the 2 miles of cable to nearest electricity grid distribution transformer, so they dug that up too. Then thought, wait, that transformer needs an upgrade to make sure it's up to spec too. I mean, you don't want have a roll off of current handling because of skin effect at 2GHz. Most devices would use capacitors and common mode input chokes to to avoid problems with the internal circuitry and power rails. But, their devices must not have been designed by engineers as I'm sure they can hear a difference, but only when they know which cable is being used. In double blind tests they can't tell, but that's because blind testing just isn't fair dammit. It just isn't fair.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:04 AM

Provided the cord is well made, a cheapie will work just as well as a gigadollar special.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:10 AM

IEC cables don't really matter.

There are hundreds of thousands of feet of old electrical wire stuffed into the wall cavities of the venue you are playing in, the last 15 feet is not going to make much difference, unless you're trying to run your board off of a string of paper clips.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

For me the main thing is getting the proper length. I use the Hosa cords that are available at many music stores. I have them in 10', 15' and 25' lengths and use them for my powered speakers. Normally I'll have a couple of each with me for gigs so I don't end up cobbling stuff together.

As for the wire gauge, it can make a difference depending on what your application is. Try plugging your amp in with a lamp cord and then try it with a #14 gauge cord. Unless you're already running off some sort of extension cord you will hear a difference. Cords are cheap so I usually buy at least a #16 gauge.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:40 AM

Snake oil. A good IEC power cord, of proper gauge for the current being carried is all you need. If the AC at the wall is good, it'll be good for another 15 feet. Once the juice gets to your device it's stepped up or down, converted to DC, whatever ...
Old 02-19-2017, 11:32 AM

Interesting question, and one that's sure to have you reaching for your asbestos suit, should you ask it on most home audio forums, where folks pay sometimes thousands for a few meters (or less) of "ne plus ultra" power cable, connected of course, to that "hospital grade" receptacle, which is in turn connect to the 14/2 buried in your framing !!
Old 02-19-2017, 12:04 PM

The Socket Sense expanding power strips are my go-to - they expand to allow lots of power transformers and pack up nice and small. They're also very reliable, and their cord is (I think) 10'/2-1/2m.

http://www.getdatgadget.com/wp-conte...-Protector.jpg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification