The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-08-2014, 08:23 PM

Default The Marin Backpacker nylon strings Mystery

I bought a Martin Backpacker Classic (i.e. the nylon strings version) at Elderly. Lovely instrument. As I often do with a new guitar, I wanted to replace the factory installed strings
with a high quality set of nylon strings. And here comes the mystery: on the official Martin web site, under the Martin Backpacker nylon strings specs, it is clearly written that the strings the guitar comes with are Darco High Tension nylon strings. BUT, on the LABEL inside the guitar, it is clearly written:
"Classic Martin Backpacker. Use only extra light strings ! "
At first, I thought that they misplaced the label with one made for the steel string version, but...no: it is clearly written "Martin Backpacker Classic" as opposed to "Martin Backpacker Steel String". SO: which are the right strings for the Martin Backpacker nylon ? Extra Light nylon strings (that by the way I have never heard of) as clearly stated with an exclamation mark on the label, or High Tension strings as written on the Martin web site ? I asked for assistance from the staff at Elderly, they even brought the guitar to their repair techs, and after ten minutes they came back scratching their head.
Can someone in this Forum, who is familiar with the Backpacker nylon, help me to solve the Mystery ? Thanks !
Old 03-08-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardo1000 View Post
I bought a Martin Backpacker Classic (i.e. the nylon strings version) at Elderly. Lovely instrument. As I often do with a new guitar, I wanted to replace the factory installed strings
with a high quality set of nylon strings. And here comes the mystery: on the official Martin web site, under the Martin Backpacker nylon strings specs, it is clearly written that the strings the guitar comes with are Darco High Tension nylon strings. BUT, on the LABEL inside the guitar, it is clearly written:
"Classic Martin Backpacker. Use only extra light strings ! "
At first, I thought that they misplaced the label with one made for the steel string version, but...no: it is clearly written "Martin Backpacker Classic" as opposed to "Martin Backpacker Steel String". SO: which are the right strings for the Martin Backpacker nylon ? Extra Light nylon strings (that by the way I have never heard of) as clearly stated with an exclamation mark on the label, or High Tension strings as written on the Martin web site ? I asked for assistance from the staff at Elderly, they even brought the guitar to their repair techs, and after ten minutes they came back scratching their head.
Can someone in this Forum, who is familiar with the Backpacker nylon, help me to solve the Mystery ? Thanks !
Yes, good question... I had the same confusion.

I emailed Martin guitar customer support and I got this answer:

"You can use the Martin M-260 classical strings for your backpacker guitar".

This is the string I have put on it and sounds pretty good.
BTW, you don't need to have Ball End strings, you can use plain end nylon strings and tie them.
I have not tried any high tension strings but have experimented with other normal tension nylons like the John Pearse regular tension nylon.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:14 PM

Thank you for your reply. I ordered the Martin strings 260, which are "normal tension"... So, basically, Martin writes on its web site that the Backpacker nylon is stringed with Darco High Tension strings, then writes on the guitar's label that the guitar should use only extra light strings, while Martin Customer Service suggests to use Martin normal tension strings. Well, if I am confused, I guess that Martin is confused even more ! :-)
Old 03-09-2014, 02:46 PM

I have a classical backpacker and had a steel also.

I think what they mean to say is that if you decide to put steel strings on, use light gauge.

I think any nylon strings would be fine.

rick
Old 03-10-2014, 02:36 PM

I had one - sold it to someone who appreciated it more...
IMHO, any classical strings will do - I wanted to try Martin Silk & Steels on her, or John Pearse Folk Fingerpicking strings - but I never got around to it...
Old 03-11-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanctr View Post
I have a classical backpacker and had a steel also.

I think what they mean to say is that if you decide to put steel strings on, use light gauge.

I think any nylon strings would be fine.

rick
That's what I was thinking too. Many people who don't know any better will put steel strings on nylon string guitars so they at least make an attempt to get you to use the lightest ones.
Old 12-26-2023, 09:18 AM

Default String options

Did anyone ever end up trying extra light metal/bronze strings on the classic backpacker? Thinking of trying some on mine, but nervous. 😬
Old 12-26-2023, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim1776 View Post
Did anyone ever end up trying extra light metal/bronze strings on the classic backpacker? Thinking of trying some on mine, but nervous. 😬
I don't blame you for being nervous. Steel strings, on average, exert twice the amount of pressure on a guitar than do nylon strings. Your backpacker isn't going to like that at all.
It's doubtful too that it would sound any good, or be easy to play. Here are four main reasons to make you think twice.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical