The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-12-2024, 01:29 PM

Default I need help

A few weeks ago I strung for the first time a 000 12 fret that I put together with parts from John Hall and Stewmac. I've recently retired from building custom furniture for 30 years out of my own shop, and this is my reward to myself, my first. The whole project went really well, jigs, assembly, finishing and set up. This knowledge and tips from this forum and some of the other guitar forums is priceless. But, there's a problem. The D and A strings produce a 'sizzle' sound when strummed or picked. It's almost like static behind the guitar's voice, coming from the bridge area, to my ear. I took it to a respected acoustic shop here in Baltimore, said the build looked great, but they were puzzled too. I've poked around the braces and bridge plate with feeler gauges the best I could, trying to find gaps or something loose. Bridge pins holes are properly tapered, and the strings are seated. I've tried a different bone saddle, different strings, I even made an ebony saddle for it today and tried it. No change. I'm grateful for the help and ideas. Thanks. Dan

Last edited by fardept; 04-12-2024 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-12-2024, 01:48 PM

The wonderful Frank Ford (RIP) did a fault finding article on buzz diagnosis on his frets.com site
http://frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/...buzz.html#Body
Maybe there is something there that will help.
Old 04-12-2024, 06:40 PM

Default Saddle contact point?

If the saddle contact point is overly wide this can cause this type of sound. The contact point should be rounded and well polished.

What sort of break angle do the strings have over the saddle? Too shallow and this can cause issues as well.
Old 04-12-2024, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikpearson View Post
If the saddle contact point is overly wide this can cause this type of sound. The contact point should be rounded and well polished.

What sort of break angle do the strings have over the saddle? Too shallow and this can cause issues as well.
Those are the first things that came to mind; the break angle and the way the strings are laying over the saddles. Can you post a photo of the bridge area?
Old 04-13-2024, 07:07 AM

I've been wondering about the saddle. I tried to make the top of the saddle a perfect half round. Should there be more relief on one side than the other?
Old 04-13-2024, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fardept View Post
I've been wondering about the saddle. I tried to make the top of the saddle a perfect half round. Should there be more relief on one side than the other?
The peaks on the saddle should be set to create correct intonation. Modern acoustics tend to follow a certain pattern based on the strings most people use. However, if you want a correct saddle and a guitar that plays in tune, carve the saddle for intonation.

A half round is not correct. It should ideally drop off pretty sharp on the north side, at every point where a string crosses over. You want the vibrating portion of the string to have a crisp break over the saddle. Half round could cause the issue you are describing.
Old 04-13-2024, 07:19 PM

Open strings or on all frets? This helps isolate either saddle or nut, or neither but at least one or the other.

Does it have electronics in it?

Can you make a high quality recording and post it?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair