The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-15-2024, 05:25 AM

Default LR Baggs M80 vs. Anthem

Hi everyone, I'm wondering if there are folks here with experience of the various LR Baggs pick-up systems. I have gigs coming up - some smaller events with a singer and others that are in a loud band setting. I prefer a natural guitar tone as I'm sure many of you can relate, but I'm quite conscious of the risk of feedback in a very loud setting. I've narrowed down the choices to an M80 or an Anthem. The Anthem appeals to me more for its sound but there are very mixed opinions out there regarding its risk of feedback, especially when playing as part of a band. I would be appreciative of any wisdom you have to offer
Old 04-15-2024, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-morton View Post
Hi everyone, I'm wondering if there are folks here with experience of the various LR Baggs pick-up systems. I have gigs coming up - some smaller events with a singer and others that are in a loud band setting. I prefer a natural guitar tone as I'm sure many of you can relate, but I'm quite conscious of the risk of feedback in a very loud setting. I've narrowed down the choices to an M80 or an Anthem. The Anthem appeals to me more for its sound but there are very mixed opinions out there regarding its risk of feedback, especially when playing as part of a band. I would be appreciative of any wisdom you have to offer
I would try the M80 first, since it's easily installed and uninstalled. Don't permanently install it yet...just let the cable hang out the bottom of the sound hole. If you like it then install it permanently later (through the end pin jack). If you don't, then return it and try the anthem.
Old 04-15-2024, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Agree with Jack, try the M80 first, especially for loud band situations. It's a nice sounding mag pickup and with a little eq it can sound real good.

As far as the M80 vs Anthem, they are completely different sounding pickups. Both very good, but different.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 04-15-2024, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

I have used both an M80 and an Anthem at different times in my Gibson 50's reissue LG-2. For me the M80 sounds much more natural and is the most feedback resistant. I never could bond with the Anthem as it's really bright and I didn't feel like it brought out the mid and low frequency woodiness of my LG-2.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 04-15-2024, 09:28 AM

I would go with the M80 but not with any cord hanging out of the guitar. If you are going to install a pickup in this guitar, having the end-pin drilled for an input jack, it won't make any difference in the end as you will need a jack either way.
Old 04-15-2024, 02:00 PM

Thanks Steve!
Old 04-15-2024, 02:03 PM

Thanks Mick! Nice acoustic tones in your track that you've posted here
Old 04-15-2024, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I would try the M80 first, since it's easily installed and uninstalled. Don't permanently install it yet...just let the cable hang out the bottom of the sound hole. If you like it then install it permanently later (through the end pin jack). If you don't, then return it and try the anthem.
Thanks for the tip! I'm gonna go with the M80
Old 04-15-2024, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPlayer View Post
I would go with the M80 but not with any cord hanging out of the guitar. If you are going to install a pickup in this guitar, having the end-pin drilled for an input jack, it won't make any difference in the end as you will need a jack either way.
Thanks Steve, yeah - I prefer to keep things tidy without things hanging out the guitar. Thanks for the advice
Old 04-15-2024, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Agree with Jack, try the M80 first, especially for loud band situations. It's a nice sounding mag pickup and with a little eq it can sound real good.

As far as the M80 vs Anthem, they are completely different sounding pickups. Both very good, but different.
Thanks Joe, after reading the comments I'm gonna go with an M80. Nice music btw! I checked out your Spotify - great stuff
Old 04-15-2024, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Mick! Nice acoustic tones in your track that you've posted here
Thanks bud!! It's just my LG-2 played into a really good microphone.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 04-15-2024, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hello Morton,

I've got a brand new M80 only used once with all original packaging for $120 if interested.

Thanks,
Billy
Old 04-15-2024, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Joe, after reading the comments I'm gonna go with an M80. Nice music btw! I checked out your Spotify - great stuff
Thanks much D!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

Old 04-15-2024, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks much D! And Welcome to AGF!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

Old 04-16-2024, 05:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
I have used both an M80 and an Anthem at different times...the M80 sounds much more natural and is the most feedback resistant. I never could bond with the Anthem as it's really bright and I didn't feel like it brought out the mid and low frequency...
This has been my experience as well when I used an M80 in my D18 for years.
Forget using the mic side of the Anthem at high volumes.
Harmonics are outstanding on the M80 too once you've dialed in the pole adjustments. Notes are more balanced as well as volume of each note up and down the neck with the M80 over pretty much any ust.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification