The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-10-2024, 09:14 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Down to 4 now - they’re flying out of there

I have to wait til the end of next month (my birthday).

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-10-2024, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsnax View Post
Good news for those of us who prefer the traditional classical guitar nut width and neck profile. Cordoba just released the Stage Traditional which has a 52mm nut width and flat neck profile.
Curse you Dogsnax! I was just FINE not having a Stage until this. Just......FINE.

Old 02-10-2024, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btbliatout View Post
Curse you Dogsnax! I was just FINE not having a Stage until this. Just......FINE.

LOL....I know whereof you speak! I don't "need" a Stage but I would sure like to have a Stage Traditional. I think both Stage guitars will be winners for Cordoba.
Old 02-11-2024, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Uh oh.

Luckily I didn't pull the trigger yet. I'll have to see if I like this one vs the crossover neck. It sounds very good though.

I second the Oh Oh, Barry!

Now that neck interests me but may be a while before one is local...

A thousand years ago a friend had a Gibson Chet, great stuff for the time, very hard to figure what to play on it!

The Cordoba Trad, hmmmmm m mm. Mmm ...:I know what I can do now...perfect to put them off their wine at the winery!

Better go play my 1968 Ramirez Estudio!

BluesKing777.
Old 02-11-2024, 04:06 PM
Musical minimalist

Traditional might be something fun to try out after they start hitting the used market.

Old 02-11-2024, 04:51 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I'm eyeing the traditional too.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-11-2024, 05:35 PM

If the Traditional neck is similar to a 'real' classical neck, the Stage could be a truly excellent practice guitar for 'Classicalia'!!!....

Neck heavy, maybe? May be biting off more than we can chew, eh? I thought I played exactly the same way for chords on my classicals compared to say, my Waterloo WL-14X....bt the other day I played some Rev Gary Davis 'C tunes' and it was a shock - plain cowboy C chord with pinky added to 1st string 3rd fret plus play then bass on 6th string...hmmm.....ok until you start moving it around!

Because of that I would like to try the Stage (Standard?) next to the Stage Traditional.

(Urgently! )

Extension of that Corobo Stage stuff would be an (expensive) Lowden S50 Jazz of some description, love,love, love my Lowdens but have never played a crossover Lowden Jazz nylon. I want! Better get some Lotto.....used Lowden S50 Jazz at Carters for a meer $10K - what is the Cordoba Stage? Around $750?

BluesKing777.

Last edited by BluesKing777; 02-11-2024 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-12-2024, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
If the Traditional neck is similar to a 'real' classical neck, the Stage could be a truly excellent practice guitar for 'Classicalia'!!!....

Neck heavy, maybe? May be biting off more than we can chew, eh? I thought I played exactly the same way for chords on my classicals compared to say, my Waterloo WL-14X....bt the other day I played some Rev Gary Davis 'C tunes' and it was a shock - plain cowboy C chord with pinky added to 1st string 3rd fret plus play then bass on 6th string...hmmm.....ok until you start moving it around!

Because of that I would like to try the Stage (Standard?) next to the Stage Traditional.

(Urgently! )

Extension of that Corobo Stage stuff would be an (expensive) Lowden S50 Jazz of some description, love,love, love my Lowdens but have never played a crossover Lowden Jazz nylon. I want! Better get some Lotto.....used Lowden S50 Jazz at Carters for a meer $10K - what is the Cordoba Stage? Around $750?

BluesKing777.
Yes, that's currently normal retail price. They pop up as open box and B stock fairly often, and there's always seeing how much your favorite retailer will discount. I've seen them for as low as $500 B stock / open box.
Old 02-13-2024, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

My wife and I spent 20 minutes with one and then put it back in the box and ship it back to Amazon. We liked both the acoustic and electric sound and the feel of our other Cordoba guitars much better.

Having said that, I’m sure that the Córdoba Stage is a good choice for many people. It is a good looking guitar, too.
Old 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post
We liked both the acoustic and electric sound and the feel of our other Cordoba guitars much better.
I assume that the Stage will suit certain players. I'm thinking that it might be more feedback-resistant.

For myself, I'd prefer either (a) the Yamaha SLG200NW for its portability, built-in nylon-string mic-modeling, and ability to play "silently" through headphones or (b) a full-sized acoustic electric with a blendable mic-and-under-saddle-piezo pickup system along with an onboard preamp.

The latter would probably sound more resonant through its internal mic. I also wouldn't need to make any adjustments as a player to accommodate a much shallower body.
Old 02-23-2024, 05:05 PM

My verdict is a big thumbs up. I love this thing. For me, it's an endgame nylon-stringer. For me.

I'm not a classical guitarist. I do occasionally play fingerstyle on a classical to accompany Taize singing at church, but that's always plugged into the sound system. And I do home recording with it. I don't have situations where playing a fully acoustic classical.

The pickup system is excellent. The under saddle piezo sounds very good, the body sensors sound even better, and the tone knob is versatile. When I load a 3Sigma Cordoba H IR into Space Designer in Logic it's close enough to a well-mic'd guitar for my purposes.

And being a non-classical guitarist I appreciate the hybrid-style neck with its narrower-than-classical nut width and the mild fretboard radius.

Between the sounds, the feel, and frankly the looks (a much more pleasant aesthetic than the Ibanez Tim Henson or even the Godin to my eye) I just don't see myself jonesing for an upgraded nylon-stringer in the playing years I have left. I'm crazy happy with it.
Old 02-23-2024, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie_D View Post
My verdict is a big thumbs up. I love this thing. For me, it's an endgame nylon-stringer. For me.

I'm not a classical guitarist. I do occasionally play fingerstyle on a classical to accompany Taize singing at church, but that's always plugged into the sound system. And I do home recording with it. I don't have situations where playing a fully acoustic classical.

The pickup system is excellent. The under saddle piezo sounds very good, the body sensors sound even better, and the tone knob is versatile. When I load a 3Sigma Cordoba H IR into Space Designer in Logic it's close enough to a well-mic'd guitar for my purposes.

And being a non-classical guitarist I appreciate the hybrid-style neck with its narrower-than-classical nut width and the mild fretboard radius.

Between the sounds, the feel, and frankly the looks (a much more pleasant aesthetic than the Ibanez Tim Henson or even the Godin to my eye) I just don't see myself jonesing for an upgraded nylon-stringer in the playing years I have left. I'm crazy happy with it.
Couldn’t agree more. The more I play mine, the more I like it. It’s a very welcome addition to my modest collection, and is easily earning its keep.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-03-2024, 09:07 PM

I tinkered around with one at our local big box shop back when they first hit the street. Lovely guitar. I had a bit of a time with the slightly narrower nut width with nylon strings. I don’t think it would take long to get accustomed to that minor design feature though. The electronics seem very well done, much better than the new Ibanez models, I imagine. I can’t get excited about the Tim Henson guitar. It doesn’t seem to know what it wants to be.
Now, I see Sire has one coming sometime this year. I guess it’s a thing now with these type nylons. I am hopeful that Epiphone will retool for an updated “Chet” model, since these types of nylon stringers seem to be gaining some popularity. I was on the fence getting one of those I kept waffling back and forth. Then they were gone, to my slight dismay. Was Epiphone just a slight bit ahead of the curve, a few years ago when they released that little “Coupe” nylon model? Or was it just not good? I never saw any demos and never saw one in the stores here. I really would like to have a thin body nylon someday. Full classical width nut, 630mm scale… those requirements ought keep my pocketbook from leaking!

Last edited by gmr; 03-03-2024 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-04-2024, 10:03 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmr View Post
I tinkered around with one at our local big box shop back when they first hit the street. Lovely guitar. I had a bit of a time with the slightly narrower nut width with nylon strings. I don’t think it would take long to get accustomed to that minor design feature though. The electronics seem very well done, much better than the new Ibanez models, I imagine. I can’t get excited about the Tim Henson guitar. It doesn’t seem to know what it wants to be.
Now, I see Sire has one coming sometime this year. I guess it’s a thing now with these type nylons. I am hopeful that Epiphone will retool for an updated “Chet” model, since these types of nylon stringers seem to be gaining some popularity. I was on the fence getting one of those I kept waffling back and forth. Then they were gone, to my slight dismay. Was Epiphone just a slight bit ahead of the curve, a few years ago when they released that little “Coupe” nylon model? Or was it just not good? I never saw any demos and never saw one in the stores here. I really would like to have a thin body nylon someday. Full classical width nut, 630mm scale… those requirements ought keep my pocketbook from leaking!
Corodoba makes one with the traditional nut width also.

Cordoba Stage Traditional

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-04-2024, 10:18 AM

Thanks TB. The cedar top and full width nut is an enticing proposition! I noticed these on the Sweetwater site just recently.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical