The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-05-2024, 07:58 PM

Default for what its worth

I re arrnaged this classic song last summer and finally had some time to record it in my studio over the holidays.
The lyrics are timeless
Old 01-05-2024, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

Nice job, sound is great!
Old 01-06-2024, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Good rendition, good sound overall. Always liked that song.
Old 01-06-2024, 03:46 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

Nothing wrong with the sound and overall production, but I'm not a fan of the arrangement. The original is iconic (and amazing).

IMO, this is the equivalent of taking a cut of filet mignon and pounding it out to make a chicken fried steak. The chicken fried steak can taste good, but it ain't filet mignon anymore. It's chicken fried steak. If you want chicken fried steak, then I give an enthusiastic thumbs up!

Please don't take offense to my honest opinion. The playing and production are really good.
Old 01-06-2024, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
Nothing wrong with the sound and overall production, but I'm not a fan of the arrangement. The original is iconic (and amazing).

IMO, this is the equivalent of taking a cut of filet mignon and pounding it out to make a chicken fried steak. The chicken fried steak can taste good, but it ain't filet mignon anymore. It's chicken fried steak. If you want chicken fried steak, then I give an enthusiastic thumbs up!

Please don't take offense to my honest opinion. The playing and production are really good.
That’s just because the original is so deeply engrained in your head. This version is foreign to you.
Old 01-06-2024, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post

Opinions are what allow people to come together, or at least give one the option to consider another perspective. Thanks for your comments.

Last edited by Dalegreen; 01-07-2024 at 07:49 AM.
Old 01-07-2024, 09:43 AM

I like it just fine, and enjoyed your arrangement.
On covers, I'm most interested in how somebody else hears and feels it, so I look forward to different arrangements.
If we only judge it by the original, then we might as well just play the original itself.
1977 Alvarez Yairi DY 57 / 2002 Martin DC-1E/ 2010 The Loar LH-700-VS/ 2012 Taylor Mini GS / 2015 Taylor 150e / 2015 Taylor 324ce SEB / 2018 Taylor 214e DLX / 2020 Taylor AD12e / 2021 Gibson J-185ce / 2022 Martin 000-15M
... and some electrics and such.
Old 01-07-2024, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

I enjoy hearing arrangements and interpretations of our favorite tunes. I can dial up the original 'iconic' version anytime I want but it is also fun to hear a new interpretation...and it sounds like you had fun doing it. Thanks for sharing! Dan
Old 01-07-2024, 05:07 PM

thanks everyone for all the comments!
Yes, great fun trying to a bit of justice to a song like this one. I intentionally recorded at a quicker tempo. Also I did want to try to capture the big vocal harmonies so tried my best at the outro section of the song.
Could not help adding extra harmonies thru out the verses as well.
I tried to give the electric guitar fills and solo work a bit of that slower laid back yet powerful feel of the original version.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell