The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-15-2011, 04:31 AM

It's not just a question of sanding down the saddle as I'm sure most of us realise. It has to be done accurately (flat and square) in two plains. Then, very often, the string break angle over the saddle is reduced and so slots have to cut from the bridge pins to reinstate it.

Now that, plus a truss rod set could be considered a minimum for an action lowering operation.

In stages, you could then add to that: 1) Nut slots recut (again a painstaking job that has to be done with knowledge and accuracy to work properly), 2) A fret dress.

The fret dress may actually be unavoidable if, after the saddle lowering, buzzing frets are found.

In the UK, for all of the above, plus new strings, plus board cleaned and oiled, bridge lightly oiled, proper lubricant applied to nut slots, I charge £60. As background, I have 40 years experience doing setups, I come to the task as a qualified engineer with knowledge of all manner of workshop theory and practice.

I'm not sure what it's like in the US, but in the UK a lot of shops say they can do setups and the like, but actually it's a salesman out of the shop who lies the guitar on the counter, his 'tools' comprise one truss rod wrench and a wetstone for fret jobs, and basically he doesn't REALLY know what he's doing. He got into it via being a shop assistant not via an engineering or formal luthier qualification.

My price may seem high to you guys in the US (comments welcome please) but in the UK, that's the going rate for guys who KNOW what they are doing. Also, it's a part time thing for me and I'm not interested in doing jobs for people for a few pounds. My investment in tools alone is around £1000.

Anyway, I didn't set out to tell you about or justify or even advertise my work, but really to say, I think a lot of people take set up work for granted, believing that it can be done for a few pounds. It can. But as I say, a well set up guitar is a joy to play and hear, a poorly set up guitar is a battle to play, and a toneless, ‘tuneless’ embarrassment. Generally, you get what you pay for. So, if your thing is always to find the cheapest, that's what you'll get; the cheapest. And mostly, that isn't the best, or even good enough.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:33 AM

Everyone needs to stop giving this guy such a hard time. Where is the crime in asking about getting something cheap? And yes, for some people, price means everything! I'm a house painter who is always looking for the best deal so I understand and relate to his question.

"You get what you pay for"... really? This is not a new concept and I'm sure the OP has heard it before.

All I'm saying is give this guy a break.

Cheapest I have paid was $40.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:33 AM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniggings View Post
I think maybe asking what people pay for a setup would be more helpful than asking what the cheapest is,setups can be free or cost quite a lot more.
And often times the "cheapest" set up ends up being more costly in the long run.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 04-15-2011, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

Hmmnnnn . . . and I was led to believe this was a friendly place. I've paid as little as $25 & as much as $100, depending on what needed to be done.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:05 AM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Buck View Post
Hmmnnnn . . . and I was led to believe this was a friendly place. I've paid as little as $25 & as much as $100, depending on what needed to be done.
In the world of internet forums? Heck yeah.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 04-15-2011, 07:17 AM

Around here it's $60. The tech I use charges $60 but will continue to "tweek" it until you're satisfied. Once he does it, if when you take it home, you find it's still not to your satisfaction you can take it back and he will continue to work on it until you are happy.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:19 AM

I live in a low cost area. My guy charges me $35 for a setup.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwoodall View Post
Everyone needs to stop giving this guy such a hard time. Where is the crime in asking about getting something cheap? And yes, for some people, price means everything! I'm a house painter who is always looking for the best deal so I understand and relate to his question.

"You get what you pay for"... really? This is not a new concept and I'm sure the OP has heard it before.

All I'm saying is give this guy a break.

Cheapest I have paid was $40.
Look, if someone asks a question that seems naive, then you have two choices in how you respond. You can answer literally and leave him to fall into the abyss - then he can justifiably say, "Why didn't you tell about that?!". Or, you can point out just what is involved, and that accordingly, the cheapest is not always the way forwards and may even be more expensive in the long run. And that's what people are doing; explaining, no-one is being nasty. Calm down! - as we say in England.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:14 AM

$35 the last time I had it done. No parts replaced, just a setup.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:24 AM

$40 for a full setup and checkup from my local luthier who is a perfectionist and master IMHO. His prices are generally very good all around though. Bonus is he lives about 4 miles from my house.
Beneteau 0-12 cedar/sapele
Old 04-15-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
it's called a set up which is more involved than just sanding down the saddle.......no tech will just sand down your saddle. They'll adjust your truss rod, file frets etc. etc.............cheapest I've paid was about $35.00
If the frets need work, that is a different job and I cannot believe your tech does it for $35.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:37 AM

Paul, at Elderly, set-up my XXX-KE last year. He also installed a new bone saddle. The whole thing was around $80 - labor and materials. The guitar then played at a whole new level. Worth every penny .......
Old 04-15-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyam View Post
Look, if someone asks a question that seems naive, then you have two choices in how you respond. You can answer literally and leave him to fall into the abyss - then he can justifiably say, "Why didn't you tell about that?!". Or, you can point out just what is involved, and that accordingly, the cheapest is not always the way forwards and may even be more expensive in the long run. And that's what people are doing; explaining, no-one is being nasty. Calm down! - as we say in England.
ROFL, perhaps you need to calm down haha. He made a very valid point lol
Old 04-15-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMartinFan View Post
I live in a low cost area. My guy charges me $35 for a setup.
Just what is a set-up? Obviously there's different levels.

What will he do for $35? Adjust the truss rod? Refile the nut slots? Lower the saddle? Level, recrown and polish frets?

How much work will he actually perform for $35? Just curious.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:39 PM

I've learned this lesson the hard way, go to the best you can find and pay them what they ask. Set-ups are not the place to skimp on price. A great set-up will change your perception. I've let a few people do mine over the years and on the last one I had I had a new nut put in and we really discussed what I wanted and WOW smoothest guitar I've played. This guy keeps great records and i'm looking forward to having him set-up another guitar in the future using those specs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion