The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-21-2024, 04:11 AM

I have 5 Taylors and for moderately priced acoustics I find they very easy to EQ live and very consistent. Running sound for a local club I've seen about every acoustic scenario and it's always a joy to see them coming.

I'm not please with their switch away from 9 volts, the Llthium hearing aid batteries have had several battery fails onstage. Luckily I always bring spares.

I don't play mine as much since I switched to Private Stock PRS acoustics.
Old 03-21-2024, 02:27 PM

I have never picked up an acoustic guitar from any manufacturer and even thought about how much it weighed. I would also wonder if this is a troll thread.

I guess they are all so light compared to Electric guitars that I play (and my electrics are all light) that I don't even think about it.

Somehow I'd imagine if you started weighing a bunch of guitars it would turn out Taylors are also not much heavier than average or aren't even heavier at all. If they are I bet it's an ounce or two, not a pound.

I don't know that I really think Taylors even have a set sound anymore. I actually think some of them are boring, like the 800 and 900s sometimes. But those are not particularly bright guitars to me. The Academy series, 100, 200, 300 have some bright guitars in the range, but not all of them. I don't think I've ever played a Grand Pacific Taylor that I thought was super bright. And Taylor always seems to be changing stuff so who knows, you might try a model from one year and you don't like it and then a few years down the line that model is different and you like it.

They're just a big company that has a huge model lineup and makes a ton of guitars, it's very hard to generalize about them.
Old 03-21-2024, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliudrosales View Post
I’ve wanted to love Taylor guitars. They do seem well made , and honestly, they look clean and tidy. But, the sound seems small and sterile. They typically sound (to my ear) like they might be made of synthetic materials as opposed to wood.
my thoughts exactly.
Old 03-21-2024, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninma View Post
I have never picked up an acoustic guitar from any manufacturer and even thought about how much it weighed. I would also wonder if this is a troll thread.

Taylor always seems to be changing stuff so who knows, you might try a model from one year and you don't like it and then a few years down the line that model is different and you like it.
LOL, I agree the weight has never even crossed my mind.

I also agree about the model line. I have one single Taylor, a 114e that my Dad gave me in 2010. I love it because my Dad set out to do something nice for me, but in regards to the guitar itself, I’m not crazy about it…But it’s a rock solid guitar and I do like the sound of it. Mine has Sapele back and sides and for an auditorium size guitar it is very loud and clear as a bell…The newer ones I’ve played, with Walnut back and sides, I do not like nearly as much…So the opposite happened to me. I like the earlier model fairly well but not the later one.
Old 03-21-2024, 03:53 PM

I've always found the Taylors the easiest to record. The bigger body boomers that everyone loves( me too) and are fun to play come across very rumbly on tape.
Old 03-21-2024, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Hate on Taylor is too strong a view. I think that every single Taylor thread I've responded to, I've given the Taylor lovers point of view. Heck, I probably like 20% of Martins, everything with an MLO neck I, from experience, ignore. I'm not in the camp I know what is best for anybody. If I were, I'd just say go buy a Santa Cruz. Collings makes a fine guitar, but there are tones I like better. And there are a host if imports that will fill the needs of the budget conscious. I wish they were as good when I was one.

And please, if one were to say Taylors suck, note that it's one meaningless opinion and move on.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-21-2024, 04:51 PM

====================================
A little over a year ago, I bought a used mex strat. Until then, I'd never actually held an electric, though I've seen them all my life. A guy said he'd fix it for me, but kept it. Anyway...I had no idea how HEAVY they are. I've been used to the lighter acoustics, I guess. Maybe some are lighter, but that thing was a tank.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12FanMan View Post
====================================

A little over a year ago, I bought a used mex strat. Until then, I'd never actually held an electric, though I've seen them all my life. A guy said he'd fix it for me, but kept it. Anyway...I had no idea how HEAVY they are. I've been used to the lighter acoustics, I guess. Maybe some are lighter, but that thing was a tank.

Strats are funny….I’ve owned some that were light as a feather and others that were almost as heavy as a Les Paul….
Old 03-21-2024, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

Smile This

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninma View Post

I guess they are all so light compared to Electric guitars that I play (and my electrics are all light) that I don't even think about it.

Somehow I'd imagine if you started weighing a bunch of guitars it would turn out Taylors are also not much heavier than average or aren't even heavier at all. If they are I bet it's an ounce or two, not a pound.

I don't know that I really think Taylors even have a set sound anymore. I actually think some of them are boring, like the 800 and 900s sometimes. But those are not particularly bright guitars to me. The Academy series, 100, 200, 300 have some bright guitars in the range, but not all of them. I don't think I've ever played a Grand Pacific Taylor that I thought was super bright. And Taylor always seems to be changing stuff so who knows, you might try a model from one year and you don't like it and then a few years down the line that model is different and you like it.

They're just a big company that has a huge model lineup and makes a ton of guitars, it's very hard to generalize about them.
I agree with beninma…. What they said! But I do NOT care for their ES2 pickup sound at all.

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 03-21-2024, 07:25 PM

I've played lightly-built guitars that great and some that were duds. The same goes for heavily built ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cip View Post
...Whenever I play the high end Taylors the first thing I notice is how heavy and dense they are. I always have been told the lighter the guitar, the lighter the bracing, the more resonant. But Taylors are always very heavy and dense...
Old 03-21-2024, 08:24 PM

What's the draw of Taylor guitars?

Easy. Been at this about 60 years.

Consistency of build quality, great sound, and a amazing variety of designs, woods, and resulting tones.
I searched for years to find a 12 string guitar I liked. Found it in a Taylor 355, bought it new in '99. Didn't know much about the company at the time, but I sure liked that guitar and it followed me home. And it's still going strong. Never played a Martin that had that effect on me.

I find Taylors are generally lighter builds.
And if I had to buy a guitar sight unseen and sound unheard, it would be a Taylor.
Which I did.
And I got a used one too, and that's a verified fact.
They are built to last.

What's all this crap about weight?
I used to play Gibson Les Paul's.
Still have one of them.
Now that's a 'heavy' guitar.

I fingerpick all my guitars, both 6 and 12 string varieties, using my nails as picks.

Be well and play well,

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 03-21-2024 at 10:48 PM. Reason: proof-reading
Old 03-21-2024, 10:01 PM

For some reason I didn’t want to bother with Taylor guitars. After trying everything else I played one, and bought one. They are the only acoustic guitars that I feel uninhibited playing. I today just bought my second Taylor in 3 months.

The quality and playability are outstanding. I don’t know about the weight, none I tried were heavy. I have a $3500 and a $500 Taylor. I’ll give you that they don’t sound as great, but the music I play on them is better so it’s worth it to me.

Also, they sound better with different strings, which you unfortunately can’t experience in the new guitar store.
Old 03-21-2024, 10:26 PM

Quote:
But Taylors are always very heavy and dense.
Taylors aren't particularly heavy (you can see from the weights at Sweetwater that they aren't any heavier than others).

What's the specific models you played?

Maybe you just got unlucky and got the heavy ones. Also, the wood can make a big difference in weight too. Of course, the body size matters too.

Quote:
Sonically, they sound very tinny and bright. It's almost like what it would sound like if playing an electric guitar that became acoustic. And I'm talking high end ($2000+) Taylors.

Taylors definitely have they unique voice; it's brighter than Martins for sure, but I wouldn't describe it as tinny (in fact, I wouldn't even remotely describe it as tinny because it's totally not). It's the opposite, it's rich (like Martin) but less mud (bass) than a Martin's sound.

I think because you're a beginner, your ears aren't developed yet. When I first started, SERIOUSLY, ALL GUITAR sounded alike to me. It took about a year before I can remember enough about the sound and get my playing consistent enough to be able to hear the differences.

Quote:
Why does everybody recommend Taylors?
They are well-made high quality guitars that'll last you a lifetime. Plus, everything I've heard about the company is all good: eco friendly and good post-sales/warranty service.

They also have models specifically targeting the guitar beginners: the Academy series. Being Taylors, they have high resale value, great out-of-the-box playability, and good quality.

Since you're a beginner, I think the GC salesman should have directed you to the Academy Series. My advice to a newbie is to not spend too much on a guitar within the first year. Get something that's decent and works (i.e. easy to play); and Taylor Academy fits the bill.
Old 03-22-2024, 03:35 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Let me tell you about the draw of Taylors. Back at the end of the '90s, Amy Grant came into my studio with her guitar, a Taylor 912ce. I had never seen or heard a Taylor in person before and I came from Martin country. She pulled it out and the first thing I was struck with was the beautiful fit and finish. It had the now-famous "Cindy" inlay up the neck and really nice detail in the binding. Then she played it and it filled the room, a little grand concert. She played with her fingers and it had a clear, full, defined tone. I knew I had to check them out.

At that time, there was a Mars Music superstore in the area and they had the ENTIRE Taylor line on their wall to be tried. On a holiday I went in. Ii happened to be a quiet day in the acoustic room so I played up and down the line, trying each one with fingerstyle. I kept coming back to one guitar. I went home and brought back my wife to listen. I played up and down the line again and she chose the same one. It was the Taylor K14c, koa/cedar.

It took six months but she eventually bought me one for our twentieth anniversary. I still have it and love it. It has a light, clear, well-defined tone.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-22-2024, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

My 814ce Builders Edition Was the one I chose to get me into Taylor. Beautiful guitar. Did my setup My strings. Beautiful guitar.

Didn't like the way it felt. Didn't like the tone unplugged. Didn't like the tone plugged in.

Played it for a couple weeks. Played through my PA one day , after an hour trying to dial it in. I got frustrated. Plugged in my 000-28e Modern Deluxe. "There's the sound".

Traded the 814 back to GC for a 2002 J-200. Much happier with the Gibson.

I guess we like what we like. I'll never look at Taylor again. More for you guys to play.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion