The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2023, 05:00 PM

I get it. There’s a humongous market for guitars and a zillion options and a zillion marketing angles.

As for faux wear, and pre-beat-up versions of new guitars, I think it’s a gratuitous thing, but I see a lot of great new electric guitars that are sold that way. I would buy one if I liked the guitar itself.
Old 01-17-2023, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

For example Kopp guitars take what Gibson does and improves on it.

I'm more attached to my Gibsons that to my Kopp... even though it is
exciting every time I open the Kopp case to play it...

I've never played a real Gibson AJ...

-Mike "my Kopp's an AJ"
Old 01-17-2023, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Well, I HAVE played a Pre War ... yup even this old Limey!

Isaw John Reichsman and the Jaybirds here in "Engle-land" just before all the civid lockidown era.
His guitarist, was Patrick Sauber who I first saw as he was changing strings on a slightly tired looking D18.

We chatted very briefly as he needed yo get to the soundcheck, and I needed to get a couple of drinks, and get a front row seat.

So I watched this superb band play the first half and spent some time looking at his guitar, no Martin Logo ??? Ah could it be one o' them thar "pre-wars?
So in the interval I asked him and he was thrilled to bits to meet a Limey guitar nerd that had heard of Pre-war. and in the wings on the side of the stage, he handed me the guitar and his Blue Chip TAD something, and just let me have at it, I meas, was it going to hurt even if I scratched it?

It wasn't a good place to test it out, too bramped and too noisy, but I have to say it didn't knock me out tonally, but in the band it surely fitted in the mix - they had a crowd of about 300 but only used one large condenser mic.

Of course as already said, Martin designs have been copied by almost every brand known.

I don't really get the "distressing" thing, but as my best local luthier makes and sells distressed electrics I shouldn't say too much.
Old 01-17-2023, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcapsc View Post
For example Kopp guitars take what Gibson does and improves on it.

I'm more attached to my Gibsons that to my Kopp... even though it is
exciting every time I open the Kopp case to play it...

I've never played a real Gibson AJ...

-Mike "my Kopp's an AJ"
Mike I've got a Limited Edition AJ and a Kopp K-35. I bet your Kopp AJ is better!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

Last edited by llew; 01-17-2023 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-17-2023, 05:15 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
…the OP does make me wonder why someone would buy a brand new guitar that is all beat up on purpose…I just don’t get it.
Yep, I hear you. I used to feel exactly like you. And I wasn’t shy about stating my rock-hard position here and on other guitar forms. Then reality snuck up on me and changed my mind. No, I still wouldn’t buy a “brand new guitar that is all beat up on purpose.” But I did finally buy my Martin Custom Shop D-28 Authentic ‘37 Aged. Martin’s process doesn’t damage the guitar or gouge wood out of the top. It just produces checking on the nitro finish…like the guitar had been exposed to a sudden temperature change. Those tiny finish cracks actually free the top a bit more and noticeably enhance tone.

I know…I didn’t believe it either. But I had the chance to play the non-aged version and aged version for days back-to-back in my home. To my ears, the aged guitar’s tone was clearly superior. I sold the non-aged and kept the aged. Never looked back. The decision had nothing to do with faux-street creed. It was all about tone, which is how I judge every guitar. So count me as a skeptic who now gets it.

Old 01-17-2023, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Don't buy them, Problem solved.
Old 01-17-2023, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Squirrel View Post
Don't buy them, Problem solved.
Can't argue with that logic?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-17-2023, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Yep, I hear you. I used to feel exactly like you. And I wasn’t shy about stating my rock-hard position here and on other guitar forms. Then reality snuck up on me and changed my mind. No, I still wouldn’t buy a “brand new guitar that is all beat up on purpose.” But I did finally buy my Martin Custom Shop D-28 Authentic ‘37 Aged. Martin’s process doesn’t damage the guitar or gouge wood out of the top. It just produces checking on the nitro finish…like the guitar had been exposed to a sudden temperature change. Those tiny finish cracks actually free the top a bit more and noticeably enhance tone.

I know…I didn’t believe it either. But I had the chance to play the non-aged version and aged version for days back-to-back in my home. To my ears, the aged guitar’s tone was clearly superior. I sold the non-aged and kept the aged. Never looked back. The decision had nothing to do with faux-street creed. It was all about tone, which is how I judge every guitar. So count me as a skeptic who now gets it.

My D-18 1939 Authentic Aged has this:

And this:

It seems a very good guitar. I think they put a desirably thin coat of lacquer
on them before they drag them behind a bus and the dents don't add to
the sound, it's the thin finish coat... I remain a skeptic ...

-Mike
Old 01-17-2023, 05:48 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcapsc View Post
My D-18 1939 Authentic Aged has this:

And this:

It seems a very good guitar. I think they put a desirably thin coat of lacquer
on them before they drag them behind a bus and the dents don't add to
the sound, it's the thin finish coat... I remain a skeptic ...

-Mike
That’s definitely much more aggressive aging than the CS versions have, Mike. Interesting…

Old 01-17-2023, 05:51 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Hey, maybe the binding doesn't come off before it needs a neck reset?

JK.

My Martin isn't going anywhere

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-17-2023, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
That’s definitely much more aggressive aging than the CS versions have, Mike. Interesting…
Agree, I have a 1937 with Stage 1 aging, that mark in the first picture looks out of character in comparison to mine and the other ones that I have seen. Maybe it's an actual scuff from the factory? Well...that's the convenient part of owning a guitar that is aged/relic'd, it doesn't matter, it still looks great! Haha!
Old 01-17-2023, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood99 View Post
Have you even played one? Maybe they take what Martin has done and improve on it. Plenty other manufacturers to do the same thing. For example Kopp guitars take what Gibson does and improves on it. And the pre-worn look is more of an aesthetic. Some people like the way an old guitar looks. Just because you don’t get it, doesn’t mean other people might.
This exactly.
Old 01-17-2023, 06:07 PM

Fascinating! Just fascinating!

I have bought some real vintage guitars already stressed out over the years and even some newer ones with the 'thinner' finish package...buying a pre-stressed newbie is probably similar in some way to buying a beaten within its life guitar - I didn't do any of the damage.

And lately, I decided I like full gloss newbies! Give me a double gloop of gloss, and a polishing cloth!!!

BluesKing777.
Old 01-17-2023, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure they’re great and I’d probably want one if I played it, but it’s just some of the design choices are very deliberately copying , whereas I can tell an Eastman is an Eastman and a Kopp is a Kopp because they have some original design choices that make them unique. I don’t see anything original with the pre wars.
Old 01-17-2023, 06:26 PM

I have no problem with people copying classic Martin designs, and a lot of players that I admire seem to really love these, but I just can't get over the name. It's just unbelievably lazy and corny to me. I wouldn't kick one out of bed if I got a fantastic deal on it, but the name is bad enough that it really turns me off of putting any work into trying one out.

Fortunately, it seems like they have enough business to not have to care what I think.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion