The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-20-2009, 08:27 AM

Default Too many overtones

What do you all think, can a guitar have too many overtones?

I was always brought up thinking the more overtones the better the design of the guitars construction. But the longer I play guitar I think for some sytles perhaps the lingering tones may get in the way.

My Walden is crazy with overtones, I think it is cool but it makes me wonder if this would please the masses.

thoughts?
Old 12-20-2009, 08:33 AM

I had a Goodall Aloha Koa GC that was spectacular, but when it came time to singing and playing, the overtones were just too much It got in the way and made it hard for me to lock into my pitch vocally.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:39 AM
Musical minimalist

Yep, had quite a few that were "over the top". They didn't last long.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:45 AM

While very very nice instruments "some" Goodalls to my tastes go overboard with the harmonics/overtones. The ones that don't are wonderful lap pianos but the ones that do just have too much going on and its gets "jangly".

Mahogany is wonderful for "hearing what's going on" with some "air/separation" between the notes.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 12-20-2009, 09:55 AM

I think some of this depends upon the playing style -- but yes, I've played some rosewood Goodalls, among others, that have a bit much going on for my druthers. But I do own a walnut/Englemann Goodall that I love, and have played some 'hog Goodalls that I admire, too. Like everything else, it's personal taste. YMMV.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:01 AM

Oh yes, "more" is not always better. I prefer a strong fundamental and fewer upper partials in the tone from my guitars. Strings (brand and age) make a difference, as does the construction of the guitar of course.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:20 AM

That is why I sold my Goodall Rosewood/Spruce Jumbo. Everytime I played it, it sounded like the doorbell was ringing. It was like listeneing to too many people trying to talk at the same time.

You really do have to experiment with different builders, brands, bracing, & tonewoods to get the the right sound for your ears. When you are pleased with it, you will sound and play better. Then your listending audience will be pleased as well.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:27 AM
*mahoganut*

For me, my Taylor 914 coco / englemann had more overtones than needed in the way I was using it - as a rhythm guitar in a small worship team with just a powered mixer. The sound came out muddy. I went to an all mahogany 514 which was perfect - for that use.

Just before I shipped the 914 off to the new owner, though, I'd setup both guitars with new strings and sat in a quiet place playing one then the other. The 514 sounded 'thin' and dry, while the 914 sounded rich and warm. (simple fingerstyle).

So, as a solo instrument, fingerpicking, the coco blew away the mahogany. But in the small ensemble the richness got in the way.

I don't think I could make the generalization that a given guitar has too many overtones. For me it would depend on the setting, amplification, room dynamics, crowd, style played, solo/ensemble, etc.

Just my experience...

rr/Phil

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG
Old 12-20-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotigno View Post
I had a Goodall
I owned a sitka/rosewood Goodall standard GC that was just too overtone heavy....sold it.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

I parted with a cedar topped Goodall koa standard many years ago for just this reason. GREAT guitar. Just not good for the type of hacking that I do. WAY too many overtones for my playing style (I play equally poorly across several genres).

Add me to the list of folks who need (vs. perhaps "prefer") guitars that are strongest in the fundamental.
Brent
Old 12-20-2009, 12:04 PM

Theirs way to control the overtones -sometimes something as simple as using different strings .

I love the overtones of my Goodall AKS , when i put the instrument in DADGAD
the Harp tones really ring . I believe spending alot of time with a guitar and knowing how to control it, is the secret to being happy with it. A trick ive learned with it is capoing the second fret , tuning it down to pitch in DADGAD- plus picking the notes half way between the bridge and the capo - makes it almost dead on for a harp .

Its also a blessing to have a few different guitars with totally different tonal qualites to express what ever mood Im in or sound output . Sometimes I'm really into the Martin warmth , or the Greven's Maple brightness & boomyness or the Goodall vibrant overtones . ( I love the Koa sound ) You really need to appreciate what ever sound your guitar puts out and work with its strengths and weaknesses . Some guitars are stronger on the treble end ( like Taylors ) and others on the Bass end ( Martin's ) Their is no perfect guitar for everything -its taken me a long time to learn this . Peace
Old 12-20-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
I think some of this depends upon the playing style -- but yes, I've played some rosewood Goodalls, among others, that have a bit much going on for my druthers. But I do own a walnut/Englemann Goodall that I love, and have played some 'hog Goodalls that I admire, too. Like everything else, it's personal taste. YMMV.

I guess ive just not had the correct wood combo regarding a Goodall yet.
I'll keep trying tho.

Ive owned a couple of rosewood Grand Concerts, and i loved them both but could not sing with ither., as i was adrift in a sea of hamonic waves and could not find the shore.

Then i had a beautiful englman/walnut standard, that i thought had a very very flat and fundemental tone, much tooo dry.
I put new strings on it about every 3 days just to cope, but finally my cope meds didnt work any longer.

I had a Redwood topped / rosewood for about a week.
Beautiful guitar, but was so fuzzy toned, so low mid dominate that i realized it was going to eat new strings till i was bankrupt....so, i traded it.

Im still looking for the Goodall that is both lush and yet more.

Its fun to look

Maybe someone here has the Parlor i need?
Old 12-20-2009, 12:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 chord View Post
What do you all think, can a guitar have too many overtones?

I was always brought up thinking the more overtones the better the design of the guitars construction. But the longer I play guitar I think for some sytles perhaps the lingering tones may get in the way.

My Walden is crazy with overtones, I think it is cool but it makes me wonder if this would please the masses.

thoughts?
On all of my guitars I place felt under the strings behind the nut, and on my archtop I also have felt woven through the strings in front of the tailpiece.

A lot of people don't seem to hear the ringing behind the nut, but it's always stuck out like a sore thumb to my ears. This is especially true when using open tunings due to multiple roots or fifths, etc.

Aside from that I try not to pay attention to my strings when I first put them on, although both my main guitars are maple body and don't have a whole lot of overtones to begin with.

HE
Old 12-20-2009, 12:57 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds_Perfect View Post

Im still looking for the Goodall that is both lush and yet more.

Its fun to look

Maybe someone here has the Parlor i need?
this one belongs to a forum friend of mine....I've played it and it's pretty spectacular....

http://cornerstoneguitars.com/ginvacoustic-goodall.htm

Old 12-20-2009, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play2PraiseHim View Post
That is why I sold my Goodall Rosewood/Spruce Jumbo. Everytime I played it, it sounded like the doorbell was ringing. It was like listeneing to too many people trying to talk at the same time.

You really do have to experiment with different builders, brands, bracing, & tonewoods to get the the right sound for your ears. When you are pleased with it, you will sound and play better. Then your listending audience will be pleased as well.
I have never owned a Goodall, but this was my experience with a Goodall Rosewood dread -- just too many overtones for the relatively busy fingerstyle music I play.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion