The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-07-2005, 02:30 PM

Cool

After a brilliant child career playing sticks...I fell into a bad "church organ" crowd at 11, and rebounded with an electric bass at 14--formed a garage band, took it on the road and crashed (learned one can't play a 3-hr gig with only a one song repertoire!!), and finally started playing the six-string at 17...with many starts and stops, until the present day...in the last 7yrs., I've improved a lot, thanks to better guitars, more access to info (like this forum), and a renewed love of the Music...I'm pretty average player--just starting to create a style--mostly, it's still just a basis for singing, for me...
Taylor 150E
Taylor Limited Edition 326ce 8-string baritone
Various other instruments
Old 01-07-2005, 02:54 PM

I'm 36 now. I started playing the guitar 12 years ago but piano was my first instrument - started at the age of 8. I'm competent enough on both but feel I should be a lot better for the time I've been playing. On the 11th, I'm appearing as part of a duo performing original songs and I get to play the piano (blues style) and guitar - can't wait!
Old 01-07-2005, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc morris
3 years? Huh? Piano playing wuss.....
Yes...(shamefully lowers head)....it's true...guitar is my second instrument...

Robert
Old 01-07-2005, 03:09 PM

15 in 1969. Self-taught and it probably shows. But I'll bet I'm the best player on my side of the street on my block.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:17 PM

uhh i started when i was 15 and im 16 now but i know i improved a lot

i think im one of the youngest, if not youngest on this forum?
Old 01-07-2005, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorrocks
Yes...(shamefully lowers head)....it's true...guitar is my second instrument...

Robert
I was kidding. People who play the piano are real musicians.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:18 PM

I started when I was 11. I played well enough to do rock and folk gigs in high school and college. When I was about 35 (1989) I had a woodworking injury and cut through the nerve and tendon in my left index finger. Despite surgical repair I lost complete use of that finger, which put an end to my guitar playing. Around 1999 I met a plastic surgeon who specialized in hand surgery. He performed a 3 hour microsurgery to repair the damaged nerve, and within a few months I was able to play again. Today I still have weakness in that finger, but I'd classify my skill as above average amature.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:23 PM
Give Me Liberty

I had a guitar when I was 14 but didnt play it much. I played bass guitar in HS band so I played mainly bass. I really didnt do much musically after high school. I bought a guitar and started taking lessons about 2 to 3 years ago.

I'm about as good as you'd expect someone who's been playing for about 2 or 3 years.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:32 PM

I was 15 [that seems to be a "popular" age for forum folks here]. That was 36 years ago. But as Paul Harvey would say, "And now...the rest of the story." It's one I've been dying to tell for years.
I had my eye on a little $50 Harmony at a local Hardware store for months when I finally dragged my mother in to look at it with me. Several of my friends played and like most teen-agers, I was convinced that I could do it too. Of course, as with a majority of teen-agers, part of my desire ws because of an inherited love of music....the other part was to impress the girls. The guy at the hardware store had been watching me come in and out every Saturday, knew how badly I wanted it, and decided to help me convince Mom that I could do it. There was a radio station in town that hosted a Saturday afternoon "open mike" type show that was broadcast not only on the radio, but over outdoor speakers placed around the business area of downtown.
"Go ahead Helen, " he told Mom, "I'll bet he'll be down there on the radio next week."
When she protested saying she didn't have the money, he said, "Go ahead and take it. You can pay me a little every week." Nothing down, no paper work, just my family's good name and reputation.
She gave in and that week, I learned two chords, D and A, from my friend and went to the radio show and played "Okie From Muskogee." They said mom cried.
Thrity six years later I'm still at it, and I still take my guitar with me when I go home to visit Mom and play for her. Now she just smiles and sings along.
God bless Mama and Mr. Roberts.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackweasel
I was 15 [that seems to be a "popular" age for forum folks here]. That was 36 years ago. But as Paul Harvey would say, "And now...the rest of the story." It's one I've been dying to tell for years.
I had my eye on a little $50 Harmony at a local Hardware store for months when I finally dragged my mother in to look at it with me. Several of my friends played and like most teen-agers, I was convinced that I could do it too. Of course, as with a majority of teen-agers, part of my desire ws because of an inherited love of music....the other part was to impress the girls. The guy at the hardware store had been watching me come in and out every Saturday, knew how badly I wanted it, and decided to help me convince Mom that I could do it. There was a radio station in town that hosted a Saturday afternoon "open mike" type show that was broadcast not only on the radio, but over outdoor speakers placed around the business area of downtown.
"Go ahead Helen, " he told Mom, "I'll bet he'll be down there on the radio next week."
When she protested saying she didn't have the money, he said, "Go ahead and take it. You can pay me a little every week." Nothing down, no paper work, just my family's good name and reputation.
She gave in and that week, I learned two chords, D and A, from my friend and went to the radio show and played "Okie From Muskogee." They said mom cried.
Thrity six years later I'm still at it, and I still take my guitar with me when I go home to visit Mom and play for her. Now she just smiles and sings along.
God bless Mama and Mr. Roberts.
wow, great story!

"Sing like you think no one is listening."
Old 01-07-2005, 03:52 PM

I started when I was 19...my freshman year in college. I meet a friend who showed me how to play a couple chords...and I was hooked

Chris

2003 414CE-L3 "Welcome Home" (Mahogany/Cedar)
2002 Busted Baghdad Baby (Retired)
2000 Martin D16-GT

User ID #1745

Old 01-07-2005, 04:09 PM

I started at age 10. I just turned 38 last month. Most of my playing was lead electric rock and blues. I stopped playing for about 6 years then got the acoustic bug about 9 years ago. It's been acoustic only since then.

I'm no where near where I should be.

Scott
Old 01-07-2005, 04:18 PM

My parents took me to a few lessons at 7, then I didn't play again until 15, when I started playing rock. stopped playing seriously at about 22 for about 8 years, then got back into it when I was about 30, and have been playing ever since. I wouldn't know what to say about my skills. Somewhere in the middle I guess. I try not to worry about how good I am anymore. I just enjoy playing and learning.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:27 PM
Eric Skye

6 or 7, depending on who you ask in my family.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:26 PM

Started when I was 13 in 1963.....I am better than I was then but will never be as good as I wannabe. Done some acoustic string band work and some other stage gigs along the way. Now....I play mostly for my own amazement. Hopefully there will always be
"just one more tune".... I want to learn....
CharlieP

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell