The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 12-15-2017, 09:55 AM

Glenn,

Beautiful - Heartfelt

Your videos show not only great sound and playing,
but you sing like you "own" the songs .. If only for the few minutes.

I have yet to make videos.. But have nearly all the gear (don't tell my wife).

Anyways, wanted to say that your music and playing is inspiring.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:56 AM

GREAT cover, Glenn!!!

We should really live nearer to each other, you know? Your playing style & mine (on many of your covers, not just this one) is so very similar. Guess that could be good or bad but it is really nice to watch someone similar playing.

RE: The guitar. The binding is my absolute favorite and I actually bought my daughter a gorgeous Takamine that was showcased in my local Guitar Center one day that had that binding -- even on the neck and around the headstock, and with a three-piece back (D-35 like) with the same wood in the center section. Just gorgeous. Siunds NOTHING like the beautiful sounds of your guitar but the look is there.

Thanks again for a great cover. I'll send a moving van when you're ready to move to Central Texas, lol.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:18 AM

Just stumbled onto this, but glad I did. Wonderful cover. Everything sounds great and the guitar is exquisite looking too. Excellent work!
Old 12-15-2017, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Glenn,

Beautiful - Heartfelt

Your videos show not only great sound and playing,
but you sing like you "own" the songs .. If only for the few minutes.

I have yet to make videos.. But have nearly all the gear (don't tell my wife).

Anyways, wanted to say that your music and playing is inspiring.
Hi Jake!

It's great to hear from you. And thank you so much for your generous comments!

Regarding "owning" the songs, I don't know any other way than to dive into these songs and let them take me over and live inside me, at least while I am singing them. As you note, "... If only for the few minutes." It also helps that I have been playing and singing this song for more than 50 years.

And thank you, especially, for your comment that my videos have been inspiring. I never mean to show off, but if I can help others, maybe provide some motivation for people to learn something new, maybe encourage others to advance a little on the guitar -- that has really been my hope. So thank you. "Inspiring" is good, something to aspire to.

Oh, and I won't tell your wife about the recording and video gear. I hope you will get a chance to start using that stuff soon.

- Glenn
Old 12-15-2017, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1234 View Post
Just stumbled onto this, but glad I did. Wonderful cover. Everything sounds great and the guitar is exquisite looking too. Excellent work!
Hi Peter!

Thank you for your comments and also, welcome to the AGF! Glad you are here!

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment here. Also, if you left mouse click on my YouTube link below my signature on this post, that will take you to my YouTube channel. I think "Don't Think Twice" is the 69th video on my YouTube channel, so there is a lot of stuff there that you might be interested in. You could even subscribe to my YouTube channel if you were inclined to. The benefit of subscribing is that you can receive notifications of when a new video is added.

Thank you again for commenting, Peter! I hope you enjoy the AGF.

- Glenn
Old 12-15-2017, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reasley View Post
GREAT cover, Glenn!!!

We should really live nearer to each other, you know? Your playing style & mine (on many of your covers, not just this one) is so very similar. Guess that could be good or bad but it is really nice to watch someone similar playing.

RE: The guitar. The binding is my absolute favorite and I actually bought my daughter a gorgeous Takamine that was showcased in my local Guitar Center one day that had that binding -- even on the neck and around the headstock, and with a three-piece back (D-35 like) with the same wood in the center section. Just gorgeous. Siunds NOTHING like the beautiful sounds of your guitar but the look is there.

Thanks again for a great cover. I'll send a moving van when you're ready to move to Central Texas, lol.
Hi Reasley,

Thank you for your response and comments! They are very much appreciated!

That is very cool that our playing styles are so very similar! Maybe you will post some videos one of these days so I could appreciate your playing.

Regarding Texas, my wife and I lived in Texas (north of Dallas, Plano) for 3 years, from 1970-73, when I was working for Texas Instruments. (I am a mechanical engineer.) I have been through Waco a time or two. It would be fun to teleport myself down there, especially this time of year when Texas is so much warmer. It would be fun to hang out and make music for a while.

Or, you could teleport yourself up to my place and we could make music in my studio, which is across the road from the pasture along the river valley where all those elk on my YouTube channel were photographed. If you have not been to my YouTube channel, left mouse click on the YouTube link on the bottom of this post and you will see the photo of the herd of elk. They rotate around to the pasture below our house about once every two weeks, which is very cool.

Congrats on that Takamine you bought for your daughter. I bet it is pretty! I certainly feel very fortunate to have my Sheppard.

Thanks again, Reasley!

- Glenn
Old 12-15-2017, 11:42 AM

Lovely singing Glenn!
Martin J40
Old 12-15-2017, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Howell View Post
Lovely singing Glenn!
Thank you, Andy!

Lovely to hear from you! Thanks so much!!!

- Glenn
Old 12-15-2017, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post

I had commented earlier that I thought P,P&M played this in D with capo on the 2nd fret but it looks like Peter Yarrow has his capo on the 3rd fret, which is where I played the song for this OP video on this thread. To me, it sounds like Paul Stookey is singing at the same pitch as I was. So I'm not sure where I got that 2nd fret stuff.

Thanks,
Glenn
I did a little more looking on YouTube and found this one, with Peter, Paul and Mary on the Andy Williams show.

I note here that Noel Paul Stookey has his capo on the 2nd fret and he is playing the song in D, so ... low and behold ... this sort of confirms my recollection that he played the song pitched a tweak lower than where I sang it here for my video. You can hear, he gets down pretty low at points in the song... I note that Andy Williams has a little trouble with those low notes.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell