The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-19-2017, 07:52 AM

Default Solo a condenser mic in audience to mix from stage?

I have the need to mix from the stage while playing guitar. Believe me, I'd much rather have a FOH sound man, but that isn't an option.

So I'm thinking of running a line out in front of the PA's and setting up a condenser mic (in a safe place like behind the bar counter), then soloing that mic to hear the mix as the audience hears it. I know this isn't the best solution but I figure it would be better than just sending the main LR-outs into my IEM's.

What do you guys think?
Will it work?
Has anyone done this?
Any suggestions or advice?
Old 09-19-2017, 08:37 AM

I think this would be problematic. If not positioned where a typical listener would be (e.g., behind the bar counter, as you propose), it won't tell you what things sound like elsewhere in the room. The potential for feedback (not the good kind) may be high. It's one more input device to deal with (cable, mic, stand, EQ, gain structure).

As an alternative, perhaps use a wireless system and walk around while listening. The PRA WiC system is simple and effective.

Or, at no cost, after the first song just ask the staff/audience how the mix is - they'll tell you if you're too loud, not loud enough, or if your mix is unbalanced. It's their opinions which matter anyway.

Last edited by GmanJeff; 09-19-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:54 PM

I don't think a mic out in the room will necessarily give you just what the audience is hearing, particularly since the mic will not be where the audience is. Gman Jeff offers some good suggestions. I use my mixer (Touchmix) to record some sound check material, then play it back while out front using the tablet app.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:20 PM

Do you have a looper? Record something, loop it then go out into the house to see how it sounds...

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:26 PM
Guest4562

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post
Do you have a looper? Record something, loop it then go out into the house to see how it sounds...

Phil
This is exactly what I do.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:28 PM

Thanks guys, the looper suggestion is awesome. Any ideas how I can do the same with vocals? My looper is for instruments only....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification