The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-29-2017, 11:58 AM

My thought is that the DLM8 might respond better to using TS to XLR on unbalanced mixer outs. Maybe the monitor channels of your Touch mix are unbalanced and you could try that?

Just a meandering thought.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:04 PM

I have a DLM 12 which I use as a keyboard amp and it shines in that application. I wanted something that could handle keyboard bass. I used it once as a bass and I had to use a preamp to get a decent level.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Basically, anything in the ballpark seems to work with the FreePlay.
I just want say that I'm finding that with the Reach at least, this would be a very small ballpark.

The thing is that the input signal is going into a limiter before the analog digital conversion, and if the input is too hot, it gets really squashed and there is nothing you can do about it.

If the input is too low, you suddenly understand all the negative reviews. It is noisy, generally bad sounding and you simply can't get it loud enough even with the input and output stages maxed.

I would say it's about a five or six dB ballpark.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:30 PM

What you really want is to set the level where it is just occasionally hitting the limiter with peaks.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
What you really want is to set the level where it is just occasionally hitting the limiter with peaks.
The thing that's most unhelpful is that this seems to happen before the channel clip lights hit, so you're left swinging in the dark when setting up your gains.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
The thing that's most unhelpful is that this seems to happen before the channel clip lights hit, so you're left swinging in the dark when setting up your gains.

Yes, that's why I think setting in the green makes sense. Gives you a little extra room.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post

You need the app to set the levels. The metering on the mixer channels is pre-fade on the app. On the DLM you're right. You are just guessing and judging by ear. On the Reach, the FreePlay or ProDX mixers you can figure it out precisely, than keep the appropriate pad on the cable and never worry about it again.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:20 PM

I just ordered a couple of these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/135093-REG

What I like is that it's shorter than most pads. I'll keep one on the female end of the XLR cable that will go between my Boss VE-8 and the Reach. With the short length, it won't stick out that far from the VE-8 and because it's a barrel design it won't get in the way if I want to use the XLR out.

I'll put the second one on the male end of another XLR cable with a short TRS to male XLR cable adapter for the balanced out of my Boss AD-2. I'll just keep them together and roll them up like a single cable between gigs.

I ordered a third one as a spare. Mackie reach and ProDX8 input level problem solved!
Old 06-29-2017, 02:47 PM

Default Tips for Mackie FreePlay (Mackie Reach) Owners:

Quote:

What I like is that it's shorter than most pads. I'll keep one on the female end of the XLR cable that will go between my Boss VE-8 and the Reach. With the short length, it won't stick out that far from the VE-8 ...

That or I'll use a short 3' cable into the pad into a longer XLR cable. As I look at my VE-8 on the floor with the long switchable pad sticking out of the back, I realize the danger of stepping on it or banging against it and damaging an XLR out. I think I'm better off with an XLR cable with a bit of a lump a few feet from one end. Heck, maybe I'll even put a bit of heat shrink on it.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:

What I like is that it's shorter than most pads. I'll keep one on the female end of the XLR cable that will go between my Boss VE-8 and the Reach. With the short length, it won't stick out that far from the VE-8 and because it's a barrel design it won't get in the way if I want to use the XLR out.

I'll put the second one on the male end of another XLR cable with a short TRS to male XLR cable adapter for the balanced out of my Boss AD-2. I'll just keep them together and roll them up like a single cable between gigs.

I ordered a third one as a spare. Mackie reach and ProDX8 input level problem solved!

I just bought the 10 dB version. That way I will set everything up the same for the FreePlay and the Reach. They accepted my offer and I bought a Reach. Yeah me.

I'm going to use a 6' cable/ inline pad to the 25' XLR to TS I bought. I won't need the pad with the FreePlay. Inline pad should sit on the floor to avoid snapping any important stuff.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:23 PM

Awesome. I think your going to end up buying a 20db pad for the Reach though. I'm really liking mine a lot now that I've got the levels right.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Awesome. I think your going to end up buying a 20db pad for the Reach though. I'm really liking mine a lot now that I've got the levels right.

I should be able to return/exchange for the 20 dB if the 10 doesn't work out. In theory, the 10 dB should eat up a he difference between the Mackie Freeplay and the Reach. But, real world trial and error will tell the tale.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:34 PM

My guess is that you'll use the 10db version with the FreePlay and the 20db one with the Reach. You'll likely keep them both.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
My guess is that you'll use the 10db version with the FreePlay and the 20db one with the Reach. You'll likely keep them both.
I changed my mind and I'm going to get a mid/high quality DI box with selectable pad. That should do it. I can use my guitar cables with the pop less connectors.

Last edited by martingitdave; 06-29-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:14 PM

I had no luck with a passive direct box and a pad. It was a step in the right direction, but I couldn't get enough level even without the pad. My test was with a high quality Radial directbox with a Jensen transformer and a 15db pad. I was absolutely certain that it would give me enough level and expected to have to use the pad. In testing, it wasn't enough level even with the pad off. It surprised the heck out of me. I would have bet money on it working.

A Behringer direct box with a 20db pad works perfectly with the pad switched on. This is the one:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...F-adType%5EPLA

With the preamp switched off the levels were perfect. With the preamp turned on, I can match the perfect level and I can tweak the sound to be noticeably better. I just don't like it as much as the body modeling.

On a side note, I also play Jazzbox guitar, and to get that clean tube amp jazz sound I always use either the Sansamp Para-DI or the Great sounding (in spite of being dirt cheap) Behringer knock-off. The sound in both of these is done with analog circuits, and I like them far better than any digital amp model let's I've heard, even the best of them that cost ten times as much. It's not a solution if you are doing the typical rock thing with clean and dirty channels, but if you are looking for a simple one sound solution, it is just wonderful. Imagine a great, plain little tube amp with no noise and great dispersion... that's what it gives me plugged into a PA!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...MaArtFEALw_wcB

Last edited by lkingston; 06-29-2017 at 06:46 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification