The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-25-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
Plug into 2 channels (instead of 1) and play, no?
Now that I've seem that it costs 200+ more. I guess I would rather buy a mic to plug into the second channel.
Does the stereo version comes with the tone knob for dialing your tone easily without a preamp?
Old 09-25-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Erik, would love to hear some more of your thoughts on the PUTW. I just heard about this one a month or so ago and am seriously considering getting one. I've been talking back and forth with martingitdave in here about this rig, and in fact just this evening sent him a followup PM.

I seem to recall him saying it works better in solo performing vs playing with a full band. Have you had any feedback issues with the PUTW unit?

Finally, if I may ask, what guitar(s) are you running it in? I am considering dropping one into an Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500M, a round-shouldered spruce over hog dread. This is an amazing cannon of a guitar. I've hated pickups for forty years and am very serious about accurate reproduction of wooden tone. I have a Baggs Anthem and a Trance Amulet in my two best guitars, both sound pretty good, but not perfect.

thanks so much,
scott memmer

Hey Scott, I've used the PUTW 54 and rather liked it but it didn't suit my needs as well as the simple LB6. The 54 is incredibly natural and has a very minor install so it's remarkable in that regard. It is very low-power, so an endpin preamp will go a long way. Many use the MiSi endpin but a 9 volt works well too. If I wanted to get the best of both worlds, with the naturalness of the 54 but with some additional stability, I might go with their Dynamic Trio or Duo with an active endpin. If you had them wired in stereo, you would have the additional flexibility to blend between the two based on the sound of the room. I don't think MiSi makes a stereo endpin, so they could only do a mono 50/50 blend or you could get the standard 9-volt endpin wired in stereo and control it with an outboard preamp.

I'd ask Ana (sp?) at PUTW but they would probably have a recommendation but I would probably recommend one of their Dual configurations with an active endpin. Along with that, a good outboard preamp that can manage EQ, feedback, and possibly blend your pickups would also be a good addition. Feel free to PM with any other questions.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 09-25-2017, 02:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
Hey Scott, I've used the PUTW 54 and rather liked it but it didn't suit my needs as well as the simple LB6. The 54 is incredibly natural and has a very minor install so it's remarkable in that regard. It is very low-power, so an endpin preamp will go a long way. Many use the MiSi endpin but a 9 volt works well too. If I wanted to get the best of both worlds, with the naturalness of the 54 but with some additional stability, I might go with their Dynamic Trio or Duo with an active endpin. If you had them wired in stereo, you would have the additional flexibility to blend between the two based on the sound of the room. I don't think MiSi makes a stereo endpin, so they could only do a mono 50/50 blend or you could get the standard 9-volt endpin wired in stereo and control it with an outboard preamp.

I'd ask Ana (sp?) at PUTW but they would probably have a recommendation but I would probably recommend one of their Dual configurations with an active endpin. Along with that, a good outboard preamp that can manage EQ, feedback, and possibly blend your pickups would also be a good addition. Feel free to PM with any other questions.
Erik, appreciate it, and yes, I received your PM, so may give you a hollar at some point.

Do they have a phone number for PUTW, or is it strictly email contact?

A buddy on here had a PUTW system that wouldn't fit his guitar, so we worked out a deal for me to acquire it. I believe it is the 54 system.

How long have you used this rig, and what kind of guitar(s) do you have it installed in?

I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Thanks Much,
Scott
Old 09-25-2017, 03:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Sorry for the double post. Would love to hear from other AGFers who have installed and played the Pickup the World rig on one or more of their guitars. I love my Baggs and Trance units, but I'm a tone chaser from way back.

thanks!
scott memmer
Old 09-25-2017, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Default Best 'plug and play' system

I don't think this question can be answered. In my experience, the pickup and the guitar work together, so a pickup may be much more effective in one guitar than it is in another.

That said, I have two a/e guitars that I would say perform beautifully in "plug and play mode" (no preamp, external EQ, or other box. Plugged directly into my amp or PA):

1. Taylor GS Mini-e Koa (ES2) - Frankly, I can't believe how great this guitar sounds plugged-in. I add a little bass (1:00) and a touch more treble (2:00), and I swear the guitar sounds better than it does straight acoustic (and it sounds fantastic straight acoustic).

2. Composite Acoustic OX RAW (L.R. Baggs Stage Pro) - Again, I am amazed how great this guitar sounds plugged-in, and the Stage Pro offers nice (and effective) on-board EQ and phase capability. Outstanding! Also, to reinforce my premise that it's the pickup+guitar, I have never liked the Baggs Element in any other guitar I've owned, but I LOVE it in the CA OX.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 09-25-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Erik, appreciate it, and yes, I received your PM, so may give you a hollar at some point.

Do they have a phone number for PUTW, or is it strictly email contact?

A buddy on here had a PUTW system that wouldn't fit his guitar, so we worked out a deal for me to acquire it. I believe it is the 54 system.

How long have you used this rig, and what kind of guitar(s) do you have it installed in?

I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Thanks Much,
Scott
Hey Scott. I installed the PUTW #54 in my Alvarez MD65 (cedar on hog dread) a year or so ago. I wired it as the passive second source to my LB6 saddle piezo and blended them with a Baggs MixPro belt-clip preamp. Luckily, I didn't have any phase issues blending them (as is common w/the LB6) but the output difference was hard to correct and the 54 was a little boomy, like an internal mic. I engaged the bass cut on the MixPro and was able to use it as one would use an internal mic (it provided the highs and the Baggs the lows). Ultimately, it wasn't a practical enough solution for me so I just use the LB6 now, though the PUTW is still in the guitar. Maybe I'll move it into another guitar one day but with the LB6's output and "bulletproof" quality, I've decided to just use that as my go-to pickup. I've considered adding a mini-mic as I really like the sound Phil Keaggy & Eric Johnson get with a LB6/mini-mic combo, plus it's all passive.

PUTW can be reached here https://www.pickup.world/contact/
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 09-26-2017, 03:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
Hey Scott. I installed the PUTW #54 in my Alvarez MD65 (cedar on hog dread) a year or so ago. I wired it as the passive second source to my LB6 saddle piezo and blended them with a Baggs MixPro belt-clip preamp. Luckily, I didn't have any phase issues blending them (as is common w/the LB6) but the output difference was hard to correct and the 54 was a little boomy, like an internal mic. I engaged the bass cut on the MixPro and was able to use it as one would use an internal mic (it provided the highs and the Baggs the lows). Ultimately, it wasn't a practical enough solution for me so I just use the LB6 now, though the PUTW is still in the guitar. Maybe I'll move it into another guitar one day but with the LB6's output and "bulletproof" quality, I've decided to just use that as my go-to pickup. I've considered adding a mini-mic as I really like the sound Phil Keaggy & Eric Johnson get with a LB6/mini-mic combo, plus it's all passive.

PUTW can be reached here https://www.pickup.world/contact/
Erik, thanks. Interestingly, the other gentleman I spoke to who used this rig reported a very similar experience: tendency to boominess and feedback, like a real mic. For me, however, I'm going to use this strictly for playing solo at open mics, not with other instruments. I have an HD-28 with a great Baggs rig in it, and an Eastman with a Trance Audio rig that's the bomb, and those are all set for ensemble playing.

I'll let you know how it goes once I get it installed.

Thanks So Much, Erik,
Scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification