The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-23-2012, 10:35 PM

Default The cat's out of the bag... and so am I

Well maybe I should get on the 'internet's' a little more often. Sorry for the secretive nature of my previous post. Had I bothered to check out Alistair's blog I would have just said he's making me a custom X20-OS. I didn't want to spill any beans but now that it's on the blog and other places I don't have to worry.

So Alistair just got back from Florida and is expecting material samples in any day now. I wanted to push the envelope with the look and not default to standard black/grey which is kind of hard to do when your dealing with a black/grey material. I told Alistair I wanted some color but not a tint. I also wanted the material to be all around the body. Alistair came up with some interesting options and we've settled on a Carbon Fiber & Kevlar mix. The Kevlar that is woven in with the CF material is metallic red. I think it's going to be stunning. The material offers two different looks depending on which side is facing out. We're thinking the top of the guitar will show the longer run of the red Kevlar with the back and sides showing a smaller amount of the red Kevlar. The end result should be overall a traditional black/grey carbon fiber weave with accents of red metallic all throughout.

Alistair is going to experiment with lamination then sample panels come soon after. I hope it turns out like I see in my head.

best

Phil
Old 08-24-2012, 06:56 AM

Mmmmmm X-20 0S........
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-22-2012, 11:16 AM

Default And...we're waiting...and...

Nothing new to report on the testing since the materials supplier has not been responding. Never a good thing. I'm getting to the point where I'm considering a materials change. I'll see what Alistair thinks and I'll let you know.

Anyway that's the update...as it is...will keep you all informed.

Yup. I just had to have Kevlar! Friggin Kevlar. No I couldn't go with Aluminum or Byzantium. I had to have Kevlar. I have half a mind to buy a ticket and fly to Europe to find this guy and give him a piece of my mind! But then...I also have a half a mind to mix gummy bears, Twinkies and Cheetos's with french vanilla ice cream....so...you all just got a little glimpse into just how my mind works.

Phil
Old 09-22-2012, 02:03 PM

Default Kevlar??

Hi Phil,

I just got interested in CF this week and I am also thinking of getting something from Alistair.

Please forgive me if this is an uninformed question, but what part of the guitar will be built with Kevlar and what were your reasons?

I am learning a lot from you guys.

Thanks!

Mike
Old 09-23-2012, 01:33 PM

Default Carbon Fiber...Now with Kevlar...it's what's for dinner...um music

Hi Mike. Good question! What part of my guitar is Kevlar? Well the simple answer is...no part... because until the materials supplier gets off his f

...well that was just darn rude of me and, of course, a joke (partially) mostly...I think.

Seriously it is a good question. I'm a big CF fan. I own several guitars that are very traditional (I can't believe I just used the word "traditional" to describe a carbon fiber guitar) carbon fiber guitars but since this is only my second custom built guitar I wanted it to visually reflect something more than the typical CF guitars do. Let's face it. CF guitars are dark black and grey in color. The only time that we get a little color is when the guitar is is painted or tinted. Alistair is a master at this kind of work but I wanted something a little different in this guitar. Alistair found several new carbon fiber materials that added color to the traditional dark grey and black weave of CF by adding colored materials, in this case Kevlar, into the weaving process. Depending on which way the material is facing the colored elements are more, or less, visible. Similar to the photo below.

http://compositeenvisions.com/index...._image&pID=817

best

Phil
Old 09-23-2012, 01:53 PM

Actually, there's a bunch of options for color... I'm hoping to get a blue carbon weave...

Im curious what effect Kevlar will have on the overall guitar. I doesn't behave the same as carbon when cutting or curing it... and it typically results in a stiffer end product assuming all else is identical.

I'm looking a build with something like this -

I've got a few yards of yellow kevlar/carbon fabric... but i'm thinking it's too heavy for a guitar, it's 6oz. If you know what weight your looking for, I've got some resources...
Old 09-24-2012, 07:48 PM

Default Colors. colors everywhere...just not for me.

Hi CFW,

yup there's tons of colors but what's appealing to me about the option I'm currently looking at is that it still preserves the look of carbon fiber (black and grey) with highlights of red without being more than 50% red. As the supplier is having some issues I'm looking at other options for materials.

Regarding the weight Alistair doesn't seem to be concerned by the specs but ultimately the proof is in the pudding. He's going to create some sample panels to see how it goes.

Truthfully the longer this takes the more I'm leaning toward another material / color option.

best

Phil

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber