The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-01-2016, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

LOL....good post Evan
Old 12-14-2017, 11:30 AM

Default Love te Touring Mcpherson Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcppps View Post
Hi. I am new to this idea of carbon fiber instrument. As I am living in a humid area and tired of worrying about the wood, I would like to replace my taylor gs8 with a cf full size guitar. I mainly play fingerstyle .

Which models would u recommend?

I am eyeing on the KM by McPherson and raisong.

Thanks!
I bought the small touring McPherson. It's my favorite guitar. The neck profile and action make it easily one of the easiest to play acoustics I've tried.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpowell View Post
I bought the small touring McPherson. It's my favorite guitar. The neck profile and action make it easily one of the easiest to play acoustics I've tried.
Nice buy... they are a fine playable music maker for sure.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-14-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUNG LIN View Post
As far as I'm concerned , and I'm gonna post a thread to ask why , carbon fiber guitar is unlike wooden guitars. They DONT have potential , and they won't " open up" , after a while of playing , not that quick but years , they will starting losing their sound as the carbon gets old and wipe out , you can imagine it this way , as a mental , it rusted. From start is might sounds good to due to their stiffness . But over times it will keep getting weaker and weaker , only if you plug it in, and keep twist the volume button . But finger style usually don't use ampifiers and , carbon fiber has a very very plastic sound , I don't know how to describe , is like a maple electric guitar with a little bit distortion
I'll admit it, if nobody else will: Made me chuckle.

Hard to think of a process that would make carbon, one of the most stable elements, break down. Like the old Daniel Patrick Moynihan quote, "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."

I have the CH-WS1000NS, and it's a great fingerstyle guitar. It has the strength and tone from the unidirectional fiber on the top, and the 12-fret neck with cutaway for easy access up and down the frets. Plus it's an unbelievable value in comparison to the rest of the Rainsong line (and, perhaps, to other brands).

Last edited by MiG50; 12-14-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

I agree with jrpowell. The McPherson Touring is an outstanding Guitar. Especially for finger style. But it can handle anything. If you don’t mind a full size body shape you can not go wrong with a RS CO-WS1000N2. I think a 12 fret version would be amazing.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:58 AM

I've only owned two C.F. guitars but have played some others. Fingerstyle is my favorite style and my Emerald X20 does a great job. It is such a comfortable guitar for it's GA size. As an option, I had Emerald spread the strings at the saddle to 2-5/16", a detail that makes the experience even that much better.

Taylor NS34c
Tayor 616 (2016)
Emerald Custom X20 Artisan

Some past guitars:
1968 Martin D35-S
Martin 00-28VS
Rainsong Dread
Old 12-15-2017, 02:17 PM

Considering that CF has thoroughly proliferated aviation, and is used for airplane structures designed for infinite service lives, I think we can expect lots and lots of trouble free service from our CF guitars.

Pursuant to the actual question being poised in this thread:

Fingerstyle is ~90% of what I do with my guitars. Because I pluck strings mostly with the fleshy tips of my fingers, the big sound of a dreadnought really helps add volume to my delicate technique. Plus I love the look and sound of a dreadnought anyway.

I chose the Rainsong CO series dread on account of its "warmer" tone, as well as the pretty rosette and snazzy shark fret-marker inlays. While I really like the guitar, I don't think it sounds as nice as a quality solid wood one (such as my revoiced Taylor 810). But hey, different tools for different jobs - and of course, there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

The warmest, most woody sounding CF guitar I've heard would be the Rainsong hybrid series - which are the least expensive Rainsongs.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:08 AM

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned , and I'm gonna post a thread to ask why , carbon fiber guitar is unlike wooden guitars. They DONT have potential , and they won't " open up" , after a while of playing , not that quick but years , they will starting losing their sound as the carbon gets old and wipe out , you can imagine it this way , as a mental , it rusted. From start is might sounds good to due to their stiffness . But over times it will keep getting weaker and weaker , only if you plug it in, and keep twist the volume button . But finger style usually don't use ampifiers and , carbon fiber has a very very plastic sound , I don't know how to describe , is like a maple electric guitar with a little bit distortion
Does carbon get "old"? I'm relatively new to CF guitars but it seems to me that the inert nature of carbon fibre and the epoxies used in it's construction will not degrade for many decades. The sound one has now is the sound one will have for many years to come, barring some corrosive element. The aging process of tone woods has, mainly, to do with a curing process that CF guitars have already undergone. I believe that many traditionalists have built a mystique over this process.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That is some big claims, you better have something to back it up.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Whew....for a second I thought Young Lin was back....but see that was an older post. He's posted crap like that before. Troll material, but he is welcome to his opinion. I do agree that the newer Ovations are pretty good guitars, but not CF.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:18 PM

Yup, he hasn't be on for almost a year. Yet people respond without looking at dates, reviving this old trolling post.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber