The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-16-2017, 08:21 AM

Question Opinions on the 12 Fret rainsong Jumbo's? Anyone?

I am currently a Dred player/lover but the 12 fret Rainsong Jumbo intrigues me?
Could it be Too Loud?
Would it be a Finger-stylist "Dream Guitar"?
Sure would like to hear one in person.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 12-16-2017, 09:31 AM

Having owned both a jm3000 & jm1000 I can tell you that both guitars IMHO were the best balanced guitars I have ever owned and my fav in the rain song line up from a pure sound perspective. They were not 12 fret versions but incredible playability, stability and even made me sound great. They both had lots of head room if you wanted to rock with The Who but also can be increadibly articulate in a quite finger picking setting. I can see why professional performers would choose these as their on stage work horses. They can do it all.

To be frank I only sold the pair because I fell in love with blackbirds ekoa offerings. Still questioning my decision while I wait for my Savoy and el cap.... :-).
Old 12-17-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Stylish View Post
.......Could it be Too Loud?
Would it be a Finger-stylist "Dream Guitar"?....
Is there such a thing as "too loud" acoustically? If so, learnt to lay off a bit -- lighten up the strumming.

As for fingerpicking, I play about 75% finger picked with natural nails. My so-called "forever guitar" was a Martin J-40 jumbo. The added horsepower of the 0000 body / dreadnought depth gave me more volume in my earlier more timid playing days. The tighter waist also let it sit on either thigh more easily than a dreadnought, and balanced the tone away from too dreadfully boomy (pun intended). When flat picked, J-40 could keep up with any D-28 at bluegrass jams.

Personally I chose the WS-1000 years ago as a do-it-all versatile guitar, and have never looked back. But numerous posts here sing the praises of the power and tonal balance of the RS jumbos. I believe that Ted has previously opined that the RS jumbos are among his favorite CF guitars, and he has played / owned literally everything.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
Having owned both a jm3000 & jm1000 I can tell you that both guitars IMHO were the best balanced guitars I have ever owned and my fav in the rain song line up from a pure sound perspective. They were not 12 fret versions but incredible playability, stability and even made me sound great. They both had lots of head room if you wanted to rock with The Who but also can be increadibly articulate in a quite finger picking setting. I can see why professional performers would choose these as their on stage work horses. They can do it all.

To be frank I only sold the pair because I fell in love with blackbirds ekoa offerings. Still questioning my decision while I wait for my Savoy and el cap.... :-).
I've only heard you tube recording of the Jumbos so far. I'm hoping to find one within a hundred miles I can go play.
Those blackbirds are eye-catchers for sure. I hope the tone is as pleasing.
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 12-18-2017, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Is there such a thing as "too loud" acoustically? If so, learnt to lay off a bit -- lighten up the strumming.

As for fingerpicking, I play about 75% finger picked with natural nails. My so-called "forever guitar" was a Martin J-40 jumbo. The added horsepower of the 0000 body / dreadnought depth gave me more volume in my earlier more timid playing days. The tighter waist also let it sit on either thigh more easily than a dreadnought, and balanced the tone away from too dreadfully boomy (pun intended). When flat picked, J-40 could keep up with any D-28 at bluegrass jams.

Personally I chose the WS-1000 years ago as a do-it-all versatile guitar, and have never looked back. But numerous posts here sing the praises of the power and tonal balance of the RS jumbos. I believe that Ted has previously opined that the RS jumbos are among his favorite CF guitars, and he has played / owned literally everything.
Too loud acoustically isn't my concern. I play plugged in a lot and a naturally loud guitar is sometimes hard to EQ playing live.
Being use to a dred size I'm thinking a Jumbo wouldn't be too much of a jump for me.
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 12-26-2017, 08:05 PM

I own a martin j 12. Problem with 12’s is the lack of base with smaller bodies. If you’re looking for a mandolin sound that’s ok but the guilds in the 70’s and 80’s had a powerful drone. And yes my 12 will feedback like a banshee in live situations. Some of the emerald 12 videos have that sound I crave in a 12.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:50 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

I don't think they currently offer a 12-fret jumbo but the CO-WS1005NS is a very good guitar. Bigger sound and handles different tunings well.

JR
Old 12-28-2017, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Stylish View Post
I am currently a Dred player/lover but the 12 fret Rainsong Jumbo intrigues me?
Could it be Too Loud?
Would it be a Finger-stylist "Dream Guitar"?
Sure would like to hear one in person.
Hi Vance,

The Jumbo is in fact Rainsongs loudest guitar, but I doubt you would find it too loud, as the power is very controllable. The 12-fret version was first built per my request about five years ago, got the idea from the very limited Gibson J-200 12-fret in my stable. The model was an instant hit, and we've been ordering them for the store with all three soundboard options ever since. Soon after, the 12-fret neck option was made available on all the models, so today dealers can order any Rainsong with the short scale 12-fret "NS" neck.

The 12-fret bridge placement, and short scale provide a more mellow, even warmer tone, and the lower string tension along with the shorter reach make for an easy playing guitar. The 12-fret Jumbo is definitely an excellent fingerstyle guitar, but it has plenty of headroom should you decide to dig in to it with a flatpick. A few years ago I asked Ashving to build me a 12-fret Black Ice dreadnought, and it quickly became my favorite Rainsong.

You should definitely try a Rainsong Jumbo if you can. You can check Rainsongs Dealer Locator for a dealer near you.

Good luck!
Old 12-28-2017, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Hi Vance,

The Jumbo is in fact Rainsongs loudest guitar, but I doubt you would find it too loud, as the power is very controllable. The 12-fret version was first built per my request about five years ago, got the idea from the very limited Gibson J-200 12-fret in my stable. The model was an instant hit, and we've been ordering them for the store with all three soundboard options ever since. Soon after, the 12-fret neck option was made available on all the models, so today dealers can order any Rainsong with the short scale 12-fret "NS" neck.

The 12-fret bridge placement, and short scale provide a more mellow, even warmer tone, and the lower string tension along with the shorter reach make for an easy playing guitar. The 12-fret Jumbo is definitely an excellent fingerstyle guitar, but it has plenty of headroom should you decide to dig in to it with a flatpick. A few years ago I asked Ashving to build me a 12-fret Black Ice dreadnought, and it quickly became my favorite Rainsong.

You should definitely try a Rainsong Jumbo if you can. You can check Rainsongs Dealer Locator for a dealer near you.

Good luck!
At 58 years of age, those things sound like the recipe for the ergonomic help I've been looking for. Thank you Ted. My research will hopefully turn to planning.............soon.
Fender 2013- Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber