The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-18-2017, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Default LR baggs Question

Hi,
I have a martin 0-18 I put a lyric in a couple weeks ago. long story short I was picking up a radio station at church when i plugged the guitar in and had to take out the system and send it to LR baggs and they will be sending me a new one. Anyways before that ordeal i had my guitar w/baggs system > into a LR baggs venue DI (DI had flashback delay in the effects output). So after i just did some reading and talking to a luthier friend they mentioned that the Lyric has a really good preamp already and it wouldn't be necessary to use a Venue DI. Furthermore, i dont believe that the Venue DI caused my guitar to pick up the radio station as i had previously had a breedlove with a anthem pick up system that worked flawlessly. anyone have any thoughts regarding this? do I need the DI? I do a tiny bit of EQ but leave some up to the sound guys and i really just use it for mute and boost when fingerpicking. So is the DI even necessary with the Lyric?
2017 Taylor 714ce
Old 10-18-2017, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbelsch View Post
Hi,
I have a martin 0-18 I put a lyric in a couple weeks ago. long story short I was picking up a radio station at church when i plugged the guitar in and had to take out the system and send it to LR baggs and they will be sending me a new one. Anyways before that ordeal i had my guitar w/baggs system > into a LR baggs venue DI (DI had flashback delay in the effects output). So after i just did some reading and talking to a luthier friend they mentioned that the Lyric has a really good preamp already and it wouldn't be necessary to use a Venue DI. Furthermore, i dont believe that the Venue DI caused my guitar to pick up the radio station as i had previously had a breedlove with a anthem pick up system that worked flawlessly. anyone have any thoughts regarding this? do I need the DI? I do a tiny bit of EQ but leave some up to the sound guys and i really just use it for mute and boost when fingerpicking. So is the DI even necessary with the Lyric?
The Venue DI offers good EQ potential to try to make the Lyric sound decent and, of course, it gives you a DI out to FOH. You don't mention if you achieved satisfactory tone with the Lyric before you added the Venue DI.

As for picking up a radio station, let's hope another Lyric will eliminate this annoyance but many pickup systems will pickup interference from outside sources under the right conditions. My Trance Amulet M, for example, will pickup a pulsing tone when within a foot or so of my home-phone system's wireless base station. Maybe, you could try repositioning yourself at the church or try eliminating the Flashback Delay or rerouting it inline instead of through the Venue DI's effects loop? Good Luck.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-18-2017, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Thanks,
i will have to try some of those steps once i get the new pick up
2017 Taylor 714ce
Old 10-18-2017, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Back when I was playing electric, I had a new Morley Power Wah that picked-up a local radio station. Morley knew immediately what to do when I told them about the situation. They instructed me to send the pedal back to them, so they could exchange a couple of the capacitors. Once I received the pedal back with the new capacitors, the issue was completely resolved. (Actually the pedal was quieter than it had ever been).

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification