The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-15-2017, 11:54 AM

Default TCH Play Acoustic/Boss VE-8 and External Looper

Hey all,

Looking to pick up one of the above units (leaning TCH at the moment) and had a quick question about using my existing looper in conjunction.

I assume I would want the TCH/VE-8 at the end of the chain since it has the DI output. Can I just put the looper inline in front of the guitar input?

I only intend to use the looper for guitar, not vocals. Is anyone running this type of configuration?

Is there some other setup I am overlooking?

Thanks
Rob
Old 10-15-2017, 03:17 PM

Hi, Rob, my duo partner and I both use the Play Acoustic into Yamaha DBR10 powered speakers. The TCH has a fine internal looper, and you can plug in their switch 3 pedal to run the looper and add a boost. It’s a simple setup, and I only use the looper with the guitar.
What takes time is setting up the guitar and vocal presets, of which I use only about 3 of each. I just plug in and go now, but it took a few gigs to fine tune everything. With only the 2 pedals on my board, I have 3 different vocal harmonies, and guitar with reverb, delay and chorus settings stored and ready.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:01 PM

Yeah, its main drawback is it is a relatively short loop time. Main reason I was thinking of using the external looper (and I also have it and am familiar with it) .

Later
Rob
Old 10-16-2017, 01:52 PM

Rob, I’m sure you are aware that there is a firmware update. After performing that update, I’ve never come close to running out of loop time.
Larry
Old 10-16-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryjoh814 View Post
Rob, I’m sure you are aware that there is a firmware update. After performing that update, I’ve never come close to running out of loop time.
Larry
Actually wasn't aware, thanks for the heads up. I did end up picking up the Play Acoustic anyway, very cool unit. As usual, the presets are a bit "heavy handed" in the FX "wetness" but really like the way my guitar sounds through it (Taylor 322ce 12-fret w/ ES2).

I did try with my looper (EHX 720) in front and that does seem to also work fine. I'll play with the built-in looper more and decide if a) it is enough time even after the firmware update and b) if I like the ergonomics of it.

Later
Rob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification