The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-14-2017, 03:47 AM
Charter Member

Default Help with understanding my Acoustic chain

Got it thanks...

Last edited by SalFromChatham; 10-15-2017 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:08 AM

Output in the tuner simply allows you to ‘mute’ when tuning. True output just allows you to by pass the ‘mute’. You could send one signal to the amp or mixing desk to mute and another to your own amp for monitoring purposes allowing you to tune through the amp. Some say the bypass is a better signal but the normal output is fine for me.

Output and line on the preamp is similar. The output is probably an XLR which is balanced and should go to the PA or house system. The line out would allow you - again - to send a signal to your guitar amp which you might use as a guitar monitor.

On my BOSE tuner I use the output but I only use this at some gigs - especially outdoors where I often can’t see my Snark tuner on the headstock.

On my preamp I prefer to use the XLR out but the line out is fine for small gigs where there is no great run of cables. The XLR balanced out signal doesn’t degrade over longer distances. But Small bars and coffee houses the line out will probably work OK.

But try the different options out - use your ears :-)
Martin J40
Old 10-14-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
2) Whats the difference between oupt and lineout on the preamp?
The OUTPUT is an unbalanced connection of higher impedance suitable for plugging into an amp. It requires a standard instrument cable with 1/4 inch TS (2 connector) plugs, and you want to limit the cable run to 15 feet or so.

The LINE OUT is a balanced connection for plugging into the XLR input on a mixer or powered speaker. It requires a cable with a 1/4 inch TRS (3 connector) plug which plugs into the LINE OUT and an XLR plug on the other end. Unbalanced lines are low impedance and don't lose gain over long distances and don't pick up noise.
Epiphone Dot
Old 10-14-2017, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

thanks gentlemen

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification