The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-05-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Did you recently have and sell an older Schertler Unico amp?

No, I didn’t...
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 10-06-2017, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Don't know what kind of guitar(s) you're going to be running into it, Chris - I'm using CF jumbo 6- and 12-strings and a J-45 knockoff with an aftermarket mag/mic dual-source system - but given Carvin's stated frequency response of 70-18.5k (speaking as a Carvin owner, with a sealed/unported 2x6.5" cab I'm thinking that's a -5dB figure at best, more likely -10 dB) you're going to be losing a lot of the natural low-end response/impact if you use a dread/MJ/jumbo; if you play fingerstyle on an OM/000 or nylon-string, or want that edgy Tommy E. tone, you'll probably like it as is - and if not, there's a compact 1x15" bottom available that'll give you a full-range stack. Again speaking as a Carvin owner, be advised that their solid-state gear is biased (no pun intended) toward a strong treble response - as I said my own MB12 makes a great acoustic-electric amp, but requires some major EQ tweaking to sound natural with my Gibson SG bass - so bargain or no bargain, give it some thought before you lay down your hard-earned bucks...
Thanks so much for that detailed rundown, I really appreciate it. Nothing better than someone who's actually used it.

I was mainly joking--mainly!--but if I went that route it would be with the AG300, for the low-end reasons but mainly having in mind my keyboards-playing duo partner. FWIW the guitar I'd be playing through this would mainly be a Martin Road Series GPRS1 sapele that has decent low end for its type but is no dreadnought. The other one would be a Martin GPC-28E, but the point of the road series is to make that my gig guitar and besides that the GPC isn't a dreadnought either.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:16 AM

One of the reason the AG300 appealed to me was the larger speaker. If I ever decide to get another keyboard, I'd feel happier with one amp that could handle it well: I used to use PA amps for all my keyboards...

While Carvin's website is still not working properly, I took some time to do a bit more combo amp exploring in case there were any alternatives I may have missed...and I wonder...

Why is there not much love for Peavey's?

Their Ecoustic E110 looks nice at a similar price point. It gets good reviews.
Every amp and PA I owned in my prior performing days was a Peavey and they all performed flawlessly. Years of dragging them through the mud and the blood and the beer and never, not even once, did we experience a failure or need the simplest of repairs.

So...I'm curious.

Additional: I split the part in italics above to it's own new thread since it's a bit off-topic here...And I'm still curious. :-)

Last edited by menhir; 10-07-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:25 PM

Does the AG 200 weigh in at 25 lbs. or less?
Can't find anything on their website that gives that info. In fact their website is mis-behaving badly as was previously noted.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 10-06-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
...Can't find anything on their website that gives that info. In fact their website is mis-behaving badly as was previously noted.
I sent them a message using their "support" link regarding the web site problems earlier today. So far, I've only received a generic computer-generated stock response stating that my message was received and that someone will look at it sometime and get back me.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:39 AM

I googled Carvin ag200 weight. Its 29lbs.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:38 AM

Looks like Carvin is going out of business... and the AG series (new or used) seems hard to find.

Any thoughts?!?
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 10-10-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschultz View Post
Looks like Carvin is going out of business... and the AG series (new or used) seems hard to find.

Any thoughts?!?
I would guess the used market will go up a bit in price
Old 10-13-2017, 12:05 AM

Default My Acoustic Guitar Amp

It's a streamlined lightweight package . 150 watts stereo RMS super clean [email protected] in the amp section(s) FX
are really good , X2 XLR/TRS - Aux in stereo or Bluetooth , mono line out .

Screen shot IOS Ipad/iphone

Smartphone controllable . I really like how my steel dread , 000 resonator and 000 acoustic nylon sound through it .
  • 1X8" gets 75 watts mono RMS
  • Two HiHz drivers each get approx. 35 watts stereo .
Tech looking thing . It's stereo imagery is not shabby , you can here the separation easily .

Some like it's looks some hate them . I like it's modern look to the max . Has a tilt floor mount the doubles
as the speaker stand support . Up high on top the speaker stand it's a killer acoustic amp and serves as a P.A.
too with really great sound for vocal application . It's well built ABS outer shell is tough and can take a drop
and not bust up in pieces .

On a small stage it's tilt stand works great on the floor . With my T.C.Helicon guitar & vocal FX looper and or my Roland GR33
synth I'm covered in a small club/coffee house and , it's also totally portable with a lithium ion rechargeable battery with 10 hours of playing time .

<===<<<- read view nice floor wedged angle .

As a personal monitor it's tops as well with the mono out to the front of the house P.A. application . The carrying case
is a good protector too , while mounted to the speaker stand to keep it dry in a light drizzle and makes this a very light
weight unit to haul on your shoulder weighing 15 lbs plus cables and gig bag weight keep's it around 18lbs .

I love how technology has continually shrunk the size of things these days . This unit is state of the art in a really small footprint on stage or anywhere .
1 year warranty backed by a second year free from the online retailer cost me $550.00 shipped .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Last edited by Hurricane Ramon; 10-13-2017 at 12:22 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschultz View Post

Any thoughts?!?
Yeah, I think you're SOL unfortunately. I'm glad I got mine when I did. In fact, I wish I'd bought two now. Very sad. You almost never see used Carvins for sale here. They are/were that good. They are/were a great value. We love ours.

Maybe head to ebay and see if you can find one there. But with amps I'd suggest looking elsewhere. The new Boss is promising or so I hear. Other great amps are AER 60/3, the Schertler Jam series, the Fishman Loudbox line, and Fender makes a new one with a nice wood cabinet that got a lot of good reviews here in previous threads. Many of those would be above your $500 limit though if bought new and in some cases even used.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:00 AM

The Boss Acoustic Singer Live and Pro series looks good and seems to be getting a lot of attention....certainly on my part. I'm a little concerned about the claimed output, since the figures of, respectively, 60 and 120 watts aren't specified as RMS, Peak, etc., and the details have been hard to come by.

I read a review where the Pro was compared to the Fishman Loudbox Artist, both claiming 120W, but the Fishman was noticeably louder.

I looked up the specs. The Fishman is 120W RMS
The Boss Pro is...well...I haven't been able to find out for sure. They surely aren't very up front about it.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:15 PM

Cool Cool Acoustic Amp Similarities

Quote:
Originally Posted by menhir View Post
The Boss Acoustic Singer Live and Pro series looks good and seems to be getting a lot of attention....certainly on my part. I'm a little concerned about the claimed output, since the figures of, respectively, 60 and 120 watts aren't specified as RMS, Peak, etc., and the details have been hard to come by.

I read a review where the Pro was compared to the Fishman Loudbox Artist, both claiming 120W, but the Fishman was noticeably louder.

I looked up the specs. The Fishman is 120W RMS
The Boss Pro is...well...I haven't been able to find out for sure. They surely aren't very up front about it.

Hello menhir good post :

That Boss is quite a nice amp . I viewed a video of the Pro 120 just now and was impressed .
It's got a lot going for it . Similar stuff in feed back control and bi'amp design as my unit .
Goes it further with the acoustic amp preset sounds ( 3 ) for your acoustic piezo .
Nice EQ and USB good output section and looper . I wouldn't complain if I had one .

I was thinking on a Aura

But after long and hard thought it's bang for the $ wasn't really making me hot to
trot for it .

I'm glad I waited because I was about to pull the trigger and get the Aura when the
T.C. Helicon Voice Live series caught my attention as they developed from one to
the newest and then the VL3X .

I was skeptical about the Mackie FreePlay's claim of 150 RMS stereo , it's biamp'd like
the Boss Pro120/60 , or better stated [ tri'amped ] with a mono single channel amp
@ 75 watts RMS for the 8" and then a two channel ( stereo ) amp with 35 watts RMS
each for the two hihz tweeters .

Judging from the video it's impossible to judge the power of the Boss Pro 120 or the 60
with only headphones , aside from that issue of power , I did like hearing it's quality of sound ,
it's a fine piece of audio equipment to own .

I can testify to the Mackie though , wow it is a powerful amp period . I've gigged with it just
a few times since I got it 8 months ago , when I did I was sitting in with a couple of 40/60 watt
Fender guitar amps one a tube and the other a SS , a drummer with a full kit with a heavy foot
in a small room 20'X36' .

I could not turn it up all the way , it was at maybe half gain or a little more . I alternated playing synth
bass/acoustic stand up bass , it was full and didn't break up from my Roland midi guitar synth module
& Godin LGXSA electric guitar / acoustic guitar . A Shure 520D Green Bullet mic kills it too .
Played synth strings & FX that had noticeable stereo imaging on the Roland Strings , Fender Rhodes piano
ping pong FX , etcetera .

That was the first test for the Mackie I did with live bodies around me in a semi public setting , the musicians
I played with were skeptical at first . I was a little nervous to be honest , testing it at home alone is one
thing but in a live setting we all know what that means on a gear's maiden voyage . The musicians there all agreed
it was a really nice sounding unit .

Live on a stage just guitar was a cool experience with a piano man and upright bass /drums . Mostly standards &
Swing with a lot of jazz . The acoustic dreadnought with the T.C.Helicon BodyRez played out with out a problem .
The electric guitar's sounds through it were good too . My jazz buddy's are real snobs on gear , when I passed their snob
test I really relaxed on this amp's ability to cut it .

I'm satisfied with this amp . I'm getting a second one for larger rooms , for sure I want a sub woofer . I do coffee house's
and other small venues these days a lot , and busking season is just beginning .

The beauty is this is portable and needs no A.C. Sometimes you nail a winner . Right after I got it I got the
T.C.Helicon VL3X . The 5 BodyRez presets are really good if not great . I'm really a happy camper .

EZ :

HR

Life has always been interesting to me

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification