The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-21-2016, 03:43 PM

Default SWR California Blonde at church today...

I've been through about every acoustic pedal, DI and amp I could get my hands on over the past number of years... always chasing tone and wanting to try something new, and having lots of fun along the way... This past year I had been happily playing direct through the Radial PZ Deluxe, and then the TC Play Acoustic (with the BodyRez tech). I had also acquired an SWR California Blonde a number of months ago, but had only used it at home and for a gig or two, but hadn't brought it to church, as I was already really liking my sound through the Play Acoustic there.

However, this past week as I was rehearsing for our set at church, I found that I really wanted a little more oomph. The set had a pretty bluesy influence, and I wanted more of the interaction that comes with playing through an amp, while still staying acoustic, if that makes any sense. I set the California Blonde up off to my side a bit, and stuck a plexi shield in front of it to keep the volume under control haha... Plugged my Guild JF30 straight in, and ran the XLR out from the back of the amp to the FoH. The band and sound person were blown away at the sound - especially the drummer! He absolutely loved that full and powerful sound and crisp (yet not harsh) high end. The sound was punchy and crystal clear, and without a hint of quack. Yes, it might not be the most natural acoustic sound, not like a mic'd guitar, but I think it is an amazing sound nonetheless, and perfect for my percussive style of playing. The service went great and the band was tight and full of energy.

After the service I asked the band what they thought of the sound of my guitar through the SWR - the response was quick and positive, to definitely keep using it! So, it looks like I may be hauling this massive behemoth to church more regularly. Not that I mind though, I was really happy with the sound too!
Takamine Santa Fe
Simon and Patrick Songsmith Parlor
Simon and Patrick Showcase rosewood (with LR Baggs Anthem SL)
Ovation Celebrity Limited Edition CP2001
Old 02-21-2016, 07:16 PM

One of the best acoustic amps ever!
Old 02-21-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw pete View Post
...So, it looks like I may be hauling this massive behemoth to church more regularly. Not that I mind though, I was really happy with the sound too!
A LOT of people like the California Blonde's tone and power. You're not the only one who doesn't mind the extra size and weight. Some things are worth the effort!

cotten
Old 02-22-2016, 11:01 AM

Yeah, I don't mind hauling the weight - like you said, Cotten, it's worth the effort if it's delivering what you're looking for. I'm so used to always packing along a full PA for gigs, or my full electric set up (guitar, amp and pedalboard...), so to pack an amp this size along with my acoustic to church isn't really much of an issue.

Last night my wife and I were practicing for an upcoming open mic we are hosting. She normally plays accordion, whistles, mandolin etc... but now that we have the Larrivee (you may have seen my other NGD post elsewhere), she was really wanting to play it for this set. So, we plugged in to the two channels of the SWR last night and had a very fun rehearsal with some new arrangements of our songs for two guitars.
Takamine Santa Fe
Old 02-22-2016, 09:50 PM

Great - would love to see and hear some of your music.

cotten
Old 02-24-2016, 05:20 AM

I recently picked up a pre-Fender, 'original' California BLonde for pretty cheap and am really liking it. Super clean, super loud amp for sure and great tone. It's very limited with the effects since it only has one, which is reverb, which is fine by me since it's all I really need, but it's a pretty weak, crummy reverb, and you cant adjust it individually for each channel since it's a global setting. Vocals sound just OK through it, but I'm experimenting with different mics at the moment, and in the amp'd defense I am not a good singer! I've been just putting a Holy Grail reverb in the effects loop of the guitar channel usinng two short patch cables and setting the pedal on top of the amp and dialig in my guitar's reverb and so far taht's been working great.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
Great - would love to see and hear some of your music.

cotten
Thanks, Cotten.
I don't have any video or audio recordings of us yet playing through the California Blonde or using our new Larrivee, but here's a little taste of what we play.

This is from a little while ago, performing our song "Paper Thin Kingdoms". That's my Guild JF-30, and I think I'm running through a Radial PZ Deluxe.

I seem to be having trouble posting that video... here's the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPGR1cTVFdY

And here is a recording of another original song from our latest CD. I'm playing the Guild on here as well, and my wife is rockin' out on the accordion.

Takamine Santa Fe

Last edited by southpaw pete; 02-24-2016 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpark View Post
I recently picked up a pre-Fender, 'original' California BLonde for pretty cheap and am really liking it. Super clean, super loud amp for sure and great tone. It's very limited with the effects since it only has one, which is reverb, which is fine by me since it's all I really need, but it's a pretty weak, crummy reverb, and you cant adjust it individually for each channel since it's a global setting. Vocals sound just OK through it, but I'm experimenting with different mics at the moment, and in the amp'd defense I am not a good singer! I've been just putting a Holy Grail reverb in the effects loop of the guitar channel usinng two short patch cables and setting the pedal on top of the amp and dialig in my guitar's reverb and so far taht's been working great.
Yeah, I've noticed that too about the reverb - pretty weak. Good call on the Holy Grail through the effects loop. I've messed around with a reverb pedal through there as well with good results. But the venues we've used the amp to perform in so far are pretty 'verby on their own, so I have yet to try that solution in a performing set up.
Takamine Santa Fe
Old 03-31-2017, 08:41 PM

Hey Southpaw. Never took the SWR to Church but play them on all our gigs. Only Pedals I ever use is a Janglebox for compression and a Baggs pedal if I am on any acoustic. The Taylor T5 is good on its own.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:03 PM

I've had one for years and actually haven't used it a lot but I just can't part with it. I think i had it for sale a few years back for $500 and never even got a bite. Don't think I want to give it away, that's for sure, and I think the more time passes, the more highly they're thought of....

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 04-01-2017, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw pete View Post
Thanks, Cotten.
I don't have any video or audio recordings of us yet playing through the California Blonde or using our new Larrivee, but here's a little taste of what we play.

This is from a little while ago, performing our song "Paper Thin Kingdoms". That's my Guild JF-30, and I think I'm running through a Radial PZ Deluxe.

I seem to be having trouble posting that video... here's the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPGR1cTVFdY

And here is a recording of another original song from our latest CD. I'm playing the Guild on here as well, and my wife is rockin' out on the accordion.

Southpaw Pete, great sound! That guitar sounds awesome. You guys sound great together.

Southpaw Pete, great sound! That guitar sounds awesome. You guys sound great together.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Thanks, Marty!
Sorry - I missed your comment so long ago, and somehow I must've fallen off the planet lol. Yeah, I really enjoy the big ol' Guild.

And back to the Swr California Blonde, I've still got it. Haven't been bringing it to church lately though. We ended up with a second acoustic player and I didn't want to be taking over the stage with my amp while she's running direct. Not a problem - I'd rather have her on the team and encourage her in her playing than to have my amp on stage. That being said, I've just finished off at that church (after twelve years!) to take a position at another church. Cool thing is, the other acoustic player has been hired on to take my place as worship director! I'm looking forward to trying out the Swr at the new place and see how it sounds and works with their stage setup and team etc...
Takamine Santa Fe

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification