The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-14-2014, 12:07 PM

Default New CF Owner

Hello All,

Just joined the board but have been reading threads for a long time. I recently purchased a CA Legacy RAW. At first impression, I was not a fan. However, once I remembered that the tag on it said it had Elixir strings, I knew what the problem was. To me, the Elixirs were making the guitar sound too tinny. I'm a Gibson J45/Martin D-18 owner so not really into tinny sounding instruments. So, i replaced the Elixirs with Daddario EXPs and man, i can now say that i love my CF guitar. Thing sounds superb.

Noting of real meat here just wanted to share my story.

Also, has anyone put .13s on one of these? All my wood acoustics are outfitted and set up for .13s.

Thanks.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:41 PM

I think that carbon fiber guitars are just as affected by string choice, saddle material, and body sizes as their wood counterparts- just maybe not quite as much because wood lends such amazing tonal personality from guitar to guitar. This is true even when they are the same make and model! They are so organic and that is why we all love them. Carbon fiber is just that, carbon fiber, and you will have an exact "carbon copy" of every other guitar on the planet just like it. So, string choices, a player's personal attack, and saddle and electronics may be the only way to make a CF stand out among their own ranks.

I would recommend everybody try every string brand and gauge they could be interested in for their carbon fiber guitars. That would be the biggest affect on tone right out of the gate.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:57 PM

Congrats on the new Legacy and welcome to the forum. Coated strings can brighten up the tone a bit but it does go hand in hand with the weather proof nature of CF guitars so I tend to use them on all my CF guitars. You might want to also try Martin Lifespans, these are anodized instead of coated so they are not as bright.

As for mediums, there is no truss rod on CA's so there will be no way to compensate for the added tension, but I doubt the action will move much so give it a shot.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
As for mediums, there is no truss rod on CA's so there will be no way to compensate for the added tension, but I doubt the action will move much so give it a shot.
FWIW, I've never seen any perceptible difference in neck relief on my Rainsong WS-1000 with mediums or when using various slack-key tunings. No truss rod here. The neck just does not seem to move, to the point where I truly wonder if a truss rod CAN change the relief much on that super stiff neck.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:01 AM

A nice alternative to .13sis to try some of the medium/light hybrid sets. I'm partial to John Pearse New Medium phosphor bronze.

They work great on my CA Vintage Performer (what CA Called the vintage Legacy models back in 2006).
Old 08-16-2014, 04:31 AM

To me strings make more difference with Carbon Guitars because they have purer tones and reflect those changes.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 08-16-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
To me strings make more difference with Carbon Guitars because they have purer tones and reflect those changes.
AMEN to that!
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber