The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-21-2018, 12:36 AM

Default advice on a used guitar

First off, let me say, I am not looking to buy one here. I am a new member.

I am looking at getting my first guitar for myself and my 13 year old son. Neither of us can play now. I did read advice about taking someone with me to help pick a guitar. This works for local guitar stores, but I may get a better deal from an online store. My budget is $500, but could stretch if it was really a good deal for a little more.

What I know is, it is more fun to play a properly setup guitar and some have more capabilities here. Easier play leads to more time playing.

I am thinking used, because I figure I can get more for my money and I would lose less $ if we decided we don't end up liking or want to upgrade. I also think picking a popular brand and model would help also.

I am leaning towards a dreadnaught, but would also consider a size down, if it makes learning easier. I have medium length fingers, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Someone mentioned getting a cheap guitar setup correctly and forget the sound quality.

What I would like is info I might still be leaving out. And if possible, a guitar that is inexpensive used, with good setup capabilities for playability, decent sound and one that would be easy to sell, if needed.

Thanks

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-21-2018 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Edited
Old 02-21-2018, 12:49 AM

To a complete beginner, I would say focus on playability over tone. Being a newbie, it takes a while to really learn to listen and understand the nuances every guitar produces.

A used taylor 110 should be around your budget, its a great guitar too.
Try to narrow down your choices first and filter out others:
Nut width, body shape(which you've got down), and neck profile are important.

Some bang for your buck brands: Yamaha, Eastman, Alvarez. Youd get more out of these brands than a Taylor for the same price, however it would be a bit harder to resell, especially the latter 2. A benefit to Taylors, along with their popularity, are very consistent in how they sound, so if you like one in a store, then one found online for cheaper should sound just like the one in the store.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:58 AM

Would the size down from a dread be better for sitting on a couch?
Old 02-21-2018, 01:09 AM
Guest 1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by polocash View Post
Would the size down from a dread be better for sitting on a couch?
Yes. An OM sits in your lap easier because it doesn't pull your shoulder as much.

Someone mentioned a used Taylor 110. Those have the narrower necks. I have moderate sized hands and a Taylor 110 is pretty cramped for me. It might be easier to learn on a guitar with a 1 3/4 nut (the 110 is 1 11/16).

An Eastman E10M runs just over $500 new and has the wider nut. Might be a good fit for you.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:09 AM

In general, yes.
IF youre a big lad, you may not notice it too much.

Im 5'8'', and I find that OMs (15'' or smaller lower bout) are a wee too small, and am looking for a Grand auditorium (about 15.5'' LB).
When I was learning, I used a dreadnaught, not aware that other body shapes existed.

Good point to bring up actually. If you've got shoulder problems or such, a bigger dread could give you some discomfort and slow down your learning, and it would be best to go with something smaller.

Taylor's grand auditoriums (denoted by x14) are their most popular shape which many find both comfy and give a balanced sound. Youd find more 114s than you would 110s, giving you more options to consider if buying used.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:23 AM

This is an interesting topic, because you raise many, many points.

For that reason you will receive a lot of valuable information here from many experienced members. I too have a son, I have been teaching him guitar for 7 years he is now 13.

He is at a point now where he can diagnose poor set up, bad strings etc therefore he will no longer play a cheap guitar.
However, when he first started he was more focused on hand movements and sound than guitar set up although I have mentioned here on a previous thread the importance and benefit of a good guitar setup for both teacher and student.

You have asked for recommendations of a guitar that would suite (2) inexperienced players? with a low budget, with intentions to sell if needed?

I would at this point visit as many guitar stores as you can to trial a guitar size/shape and agree on a style for both however if he is 13 and you older this may be difficult,gather the advice and the answer will come. Good luck!

Brian
Old 02-21-2018, 01:48 AM

This is an interesting topic, because you raise many, many points.

For that reason you will receive a lot of valuable information here from many experienced members. I too have a son, I have been teaching him guitar for 7 years he is now 13.

He is at a point now where he can diagnose poor set up, bad strings etc therefore he will no longer play a cheap guitar.
However, when he first started he was more focused on hand movements and sound than guitar set up although I have mentioned here on a previous thread the importance and benefit of a good guitar setup for both teacher and student.

You have asked for recommendations of a guitar that would suite (2) inexperienced players? with a low budget, with intentions to sell if needed?

I would at this point visit as many guitar stores as you can to trial a guitar size/shape and agree on a style for both however if he is 13 and you older this may be difficult,gather the advice and the answer will come. Good luck!

Brian
Old 02-21-2018, 01:54 AM

Completely heretical thought... probably get me banned on this forum, but, sigh, I can't help myself...

For a fun dad/son learning experience, assuming you have eclectic musical tastes, consider getting an electric guitar. Your $500 will get you a VERY playable axe (both new and used) and a decent solid state amp.

Why am I suggesting this? Not quality or type of sound, but easiness of starting out. Contrary to what you might think, electrics are much easier to play. The string tension is lighter (you don't bend much on an acoustic), and this is also easier on a beginner's fingers, which makes it easier to practice longer. Bar chords are obtainable within days of practice, not months. An electric's action can be set very low with just a screwdriver and/or allen wrench, which also makes it easier to play up and down the fretboard. (An acoustic's action is usually higher and adjustment is not exactly user-friendly, which is why a good set up is important.) Maintenance of an electric is practically zero. Less risk that the 13 yo will accidentally damage it.

And, at the end of the day, this is all guitar, same six strings tuned the same. Most of what you'll learn in the first year or two is stuff you can easily move over to an acoustic when you want to make the switch. Or when you just want another guitar.

Also, an electric will go better with matching punk haircuts and ripped t-shirts...

Ok, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for that close up of being shot and tossed off the forum...

Last edited by MChild62; 02-21-2018 at 02:10 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkLitIScream View Post
In general, yes.
IF youre a big lad, you may not notice it too much.

Im 5'8'', and I find that OMs (15'' or smaller lower bout) are a wee too small, and am looking for a Grand auditorium (about 15.5'' LB).
When I was learning, I used a dreadnaught, not aware that other body shapes existed.

Good point to bring up actually. If you've got shoulder problems or such, a bigger dread could give you some discomfort and slow down your learning, and it would be best to go with something smaller.

Taylor's grand auditoriums (denoted by x14) are their most popular shape which many find both comfy and give a balanced sound. Youd find more 114s than you would 110s, giving you more options to consider if buying used.
I am 6' and my son is already 5'8". I do have a partially torn rotator cuff. I have pretty good mobility except for the throwing a ball motion. I am starting to do some therapy for it. I was talking about the Grand Auditorium or 000 size, if not the dread.

I was leaning towards the brand you mentioned, only because of resale value and the guitar neck adjustability. I am still open to other options. I just know that I can't just walk in and say let me see a xxx in a used model and hope they have one.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:16 AM

I would buy from a local shop that offers a “set” up. This will make sure your guitar plays as easy as possible without buzzing etc. you will pay more from a local shop but if you have questions or concerns you have a face and a name to deal with. I will never buy a guitar I cannot play first. There are so many variables involved in guitar production and/or used guitar condition. There is a pretty fair variation between exactly the same models from the same maker. Pay a few extra bucks and get the kid going in the right direction.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:25 AM
Charter Member

I'd be looking for a Yamaha LL6.....https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...SAAEgLJXfD_BwE
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-21-2018, 07:06 AM

Used Taylor 110. And definitely get it set up if not already done.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:16 AM

The Yamaha FG series like the FG800 and FG830 dreads are very nice and get good reviews here. A used one, especially one that has already been set up would be extra nice.
When starting out, two tricks to get you by until you get some calluses on your fingertips are tuning down either a half step or whole step, and going to an extra light gauge like 11-52 instead of 12-53. Another trick is using a capo at the first fret to lower the action while you are learning.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:16 AM

I still recommend taking a player with you and buying local. There is no way to know if the sight unseen guitar you purchase on line needs a set-up. Prudence might suggest that you assume it does, and the two set-ups could easily wipe out your initial online savings.

What nut width? I'd be amazed if you had any idea - I wouldn't in your shoes (I wouldn't know what the heck nut width referred to in your shoes).

Definitely buy used. Name brands are easiest to resell, but there is very little financial risk in purchasing a lower priced used instrument.

Even though you are not a player yet, you'll be able to tell if a guitar just feels too big in your lap.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 02-21-2018, 07:18 AM

You can get a sweet guitar for under $300.

I know used is an option...
But personally, I'd look at a brand new Yamaha 800 series.
Won't break the bank and they are stellar low cost guitars.

Also for playability and sound.
Look at Ibanez AC240 Artwood Grand Concert Acoustic Guitar.

Of course you can spend more or buy used...
But I doubt you'd be any happier in the learning phase.

Also New from retail store gives you options...
To easily return if not happy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion