The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-20-2018, 11:29 AM

Default Eastman E10-00 vs. Farida OT-25. Which 00?

Probably a long shot but has anyone played both the Eastman E10-00 and Farida OT-25 (or 22)?
I'm looking for comparisons and opinions on these models.

I've played the Eastman E20-00, great guitar but looking for the qualities of mahogany.
I've also had a Gibson LG-2 and loved the body size and tone which makes me very interested in the Farida Old Town guitars.

Goal is to find a 00 for fingerpicking rags and blues, some light strumming in the $700 or less range.
Must have:
- 1 3/4" or 1 13/16" width at nut
- 2 1/4" or better spacing at saddle
- not rosewood back and sides, looking for mahogany or similar.
- new or used is ok
- 00 is the sweet spot, not looking for bigger or smaller

Last edited by downtime; 02-20-2018 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:16 PM

I own the E10 00 SS. I use for flat picking leads and strumming.
My brother is a good finger picker. He played it and made it sing.
I have no experience with the Farida.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-20-2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I own the E10 00 SS. I use for flat picking leads and strumming.
My brother is a good finger picker. He played it and made it sing.
I have no experience with the Farida.
I was able to play an E10-00 SS and found the neck width at the nut to be more cramped than I usually like. I believe this model has the same specs as the Eastman OM which I also found cramped. Too bad as they are very nice sounding guitars.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:26 PM

I know Eastman makes a fine guitar for the money. I own the Farida OT22 and it's pretty much a jack of all trades guitar IMO, for an LG-2 shaped and weight guitar.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:26 PM

I have a Farida OT22W, and an Eastman E20OM. While my Eastman and the model you are interested in are different guitars, I would expect most any Eastman to sound different than the Farida. Mine definitely does.

The Farida seems to have been voiced similarly to the Gibson LG2, from what others have said. I know that my Farida definitely sounds different that my Eastman, but it also sounds different than any of my other guitars. Never having owned a Gibson, I am willing to take the word of others that the Farida sounds like the Gibson LG2. But go online and listen to the TeJa Gerken review on Peghead Nation. That is an accurate representation of what my OT22W sounds like.

I don't know what that Eastman 0010 feels like, but the Farida is s-o-o-o-o comfortable.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtime View Post
I was able to play an E10-00 SS and found the neck width at the nut to be more cramped than I usually like. I believe this model has the same specs as the Eastman OM which I also found cramped. Too bad as they are very nice sounding guitars.
The wider neck and string spacing on the 12-fret version is definitely a nice change. I wish they made them all like that.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonA View Post
The wider neck and string spacing on the 12-fret version is definitely a nice change. I wish they made them all like that.
It seems a lot of guys who finger pick complain about string spacing on the Eastman 14 fretters. I wonder if it's because that's what they are accustomed to on these smaller body guitars. I don't find it to be an issue. Then again, I don't do much fingerstyle.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-22-2018, 10:07 AM

I'm intrigued with the Farida but I'd have to buy it on faith as Elderly is the only outlet for them.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukie View Post
I'm intrigued with the Farida but I'd have to buy it on faith as Elderly is the only outlet for them.
Exactly, the Farida Old Town models are getting good reviews and they seem to be a good seller for Elderly as they have been out of stock and recently upped the price.
Question is to go with a known quality product like Eastman or take a chance on the Farida.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtime View Post
Exactly, the Farida Old Town models are getting good reviews and they seem to be a good seller for Elderly as they have been out of stock and recently upped the price.
Question is to go with a known quality product like Eastman or take a chance on the Farida.
Downtime, Did you end up with the E10 or the or the OT-22?
Old 04-26-2018, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy88 View Post
Downtime, Did you end up with the E10 or the or the OT-22?
I haven't decided. I might still pick something up to fit the bill of inexpensive small body blues box, there are so many good choices out there in addition to Eastman and Farida. The Ibanez Artwoods, Alvarez 00's and I've also heard good things about Fender Paramounts.

Perhaps I should just hold out and buy the real deal and get a Gibson LG-2 AE or Waterloo. Decisions, decisions.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:18 PM

My opinion is that you can't go wrong with either the less expensive Farida or the more expensive Waterloo. Both have a great feel in the hand, which is extremely important to me and I'm guessing, everyone else too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion