The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-25-2018, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Default Thinking about a Gibson ES-335

I'm thinking of getting a Gibson ES-335. No reason other than it's on my bucket list. I'm strictly a home player and recently bought a new Princeton Reverb reissue amp.

Too many models out there and I don't know which ones to look for. For those with experience, which one would you choose?

I'm not interested in a Heritage or any other brands.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:07 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Try out a Gibson Memphis ES-335 DOT Reissue. I tried out about eleven different ones including historics before I narrowed my taste down to one. Then my lovely wife surprised me with it for Christmas. I wrote up a review, HERE.

It has become my go-to guitar for recording sessions. Even when I think I'll be using a Fender I'll usually take it as well.

Yes, I like red.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-25-2018, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, Bob. Great review. Looks like a contender.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:33 AM

Gibson has models for just about every taste/budget - this might be a good place to start:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/ES.aspx
Old 01-25-2018, 11:55 AM

BTW The Chicago Music Exchange evidently picked up a bunch of extra Memphis Gibsons from the factory that they're selling as "floor models" at screaming prices (and I know someone who got one for below the low price they're listing).

Now might be a great time to pick up a 335.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotspur View Post
BTW The Chicago Music Exchange evidently picked up a bunch of extra Memphis Gibsons from the factory that they're selling as "floor models" at screaming prices (and I know someone who got one for below the low price they're listing).

Now might be a great time to pick up a 335.
THIS.

I scored a brand new 2017 ES-335 Studio for well under half price, at this CME sale. No floor model this one..

Last edited by Beachrunner; 01-25-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:51 PM

I don't blame you but if you appreciate quality and vintage vibe a 335 shopper should check out Collings' electrics. My SoCo 16 was priced with the comparable fat neck modern 335s. The real beauty is it actually sounds more like an associate's 1960 ES-335 than the hot pickup modern ones. It gets better. With a Collings you don't have to spend forever looking for one with good finish and mechanical perfection.

It will be a lot easier to find and be happy with the more common 335s if you're fine with the thin neck "60s" style.

Lately it seems like fewer dealers have those 335s with the more substantial neck profile, and Dave's no longer get them new. Dave's still worth looking at for used Gibsons and Collings new or used.

There are also slightly smaller 335 like guitars that are very nice. Gibson has their 339s and there are others.

FYI, while the more common Collings I-35s look most like a 335, they're actually a little smaller. Over a whole lot of shopping, I ultimately preferred the 16" body guitars no matter who made them. There's a little extra something. You hear it mostl with individual notes and cleaner tones.

Have fun shopping.

The better 335 that's not a 335:

Old 01-25-2018, 04:11 PM

I love a 335. My closest genuine Gibson is a Midtown because a 335 is out of my price range. I do have a Washburn HB30 with Gibson pickups for jazz. It gets me close. But a 335 worked great for Larry Carlton when he recorded all those wonderful Steely Dan hits.

Old 01-25-2018, 05:46 PM

i have a 68 that i won't part with for a long time.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 01-25-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachrunner View Post
THIS.

I scored a brand new 2017 ES-335 Studio for well under half price, at this CME sale. No floor model this one..

<<Snippet pic>>
Wow, that is sweet!
Old 01-25-2018, 07:26 PM

Whatever you go with, DEFINITELY play it before you buy it. More so than any other model I’ve played, 335s can be hit-and-miss. There are excellent examples out there for sure, but consistency shouldn’t be assumed. So get out and play a bunch of 335s and take home the one that speaks to you.

I went on a similar quest and after about 9 months landed a 1984 ES-335 Dot Reissue with the original Shaw Bucker PAFs. It's a lifer.

2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage

Last edited by Steely Glen; 01-25-2018 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:34 PM

Good luck in your quest. I recommend trying several before you choose. I was lucky to find a 2011 Larry Carlton Mr. 335 model. Nothing sounds like a 335.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:12 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for all the replies.

Not many stores around here that carry a 335 to try. I was at my local GC a few weeks ago and did not see a single one on the walls.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:22 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluside View Post
Thanks for all the replies.

Not many stores around here that carry a 335 to try. I was at my local GC a few weeks ago and did not see a single one on the walls.
It's funny, because the local GC had three to choose from for years but now has none and another store had at least three or four and now has none. In fact, all the local high-end stores died in the last eight years. Makes you wonder if that indicates something about the economy? I suspect that as the market continues to improve there will be more boomer professionals ready to throw down on an ES-335, so we may see things change.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-26-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
It's funny, because the local GC had three to choose from for years but now has none and another store had at least three or four and now has none. In fact, all the local high-end stores died in the last eight years. Makes you wonder if that indicates something about the economy? I suspect that as the market continues to improve there will be more boomer professionals ready to throw down on an ES-335, so we may see things change.

Bob
Finding them seems to be in a state of flux or at least more difficult. Dave's no longer has the super selection of ES models but Wildwood does. Chicago Music Exchange has better than the typical Guitar Center selection. Seems to be same - less stock - at Willcutt. I don't know of an east or west coast dealer with stock that deep.

What some say is related to Gibson real estate changes or debt looks like better prices for Memphis models than when I was shopping. IMO that's appropriate. Their prices were more than Collings which was absurd. The custom shop 335s still seem to have those high prices but your best bet for fat neck if you insist on a Gibson.

What's sad about the brick and mortar scenario for Gibson guitars is few places like a Dave's or Wildwood where one can go there for hands on.

I think Music Emporium in the east has good selection, and they had some used Gibson, new a really cool looking used Collings among their new and used. Yeah, it's still fun to look at what is out there even if you're not buying.

I wonder if some of the other specialty stores have the down to earth vibe @ Dave's.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars