The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-29-2017, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
Never thought I'd say it as a Pens fan, but Alex Ovechkin might just be a very decent human being.

Cool story: https://www.nhl.com/news/alex-ovechk...es/c-292378942

In other news the Pens and Wild are tied 1-1 at the end of the first period. It's killing me to watch Matt Cullen in a Wild uniform.
I read the headline last night. Great gesture. I wonder why he did it? Perhaps he's looking to be traded to Edmonton .

Pens and Bruins lose.

JPD - How are the Red Wings doing?
Old 10-29-2017, 07:04 AM

Default What?

Who'd a thought? Vegas has a winning NHL team?
Old 10-29-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
Who'd a thought? Vegas has a winning NHL team?
They're doing an amazing job. Great for the new fans.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:07 AM

Excited to see how my Senators play their defensive system but with tons of hustle built in. Nice to see the Maple Leafs changing, and would love to see the City of Champions boast of those Oilers. Don't want to miss a Penguins game too if we can help it. My wife rarely skips a game although I give up a period and a half for my nightly guitar practice.

BTW it's HOCKEY, not ice hockey. We don't play musical guitar do we ?
Old 10-29-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pf400 View Post
Excited to see how my Senators play their defensive system but with tons of hustle built in. Nice to see the Maple Leafs changing, and would love to see the City of Champions boast of those Oilers. Don't want to miss a Penguins game too if we can help it. My wife rarely skips a game although I give up a period and a half for my nightly guitar practice.

BTW it's HOCKEY, not ice hockey. We don't play musical guitar do we ?
How's Phaneuf doing this year? He used to be daily news with the Maple Leafs (on the unfortunately side) but I don't hear much anymore.

What happened to Murray? He gave up 5 first period goals tonight? The last 3 in only 30 odd seconds. 5-0 first intermission.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
How's Phaneuf doing this year? He used to be daily news with the Maple Leafs (on the unfortunately side) but I don't hear much anymore.

What happened to Murray? He gave up 5 first period goals tonight? The last 3 in only 30 odd seconds. 5-0 first intermission.
I'm not up on what's happening with Phaneuf, but as far as Murray is concerned the score was a bit more indicative of how his teammates played in front of him than how he performed. Yes, Murray didn't play his best but the Pens were awful- offensively and defensively.

It's worth noting that the Pens have the worst goal differential in the league during 5 on 5 play (minus 15!). This game was once again the second game of back to back games of which they have yet to win any of the four they've played, and have been beaten by scores of 10-1, 7-1, and 7-1. Obviously the Pens have some issues that need to be corrected. I hope it happens sooner rather than later.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 10-30-2017, 05:08 AM

Quote:
I'm not up on what's happening with Phaneuf, but as far as Murray is concerned the score was a bit more indicative of how his teammates played in front of him than how he performed. Yes, Murray didn't play his best but the Pens were awful- offensively and defensively.

It's worth noting that the Pens have the worst goal differential in the league during 5 on 5 play (minus 15!). This game was once again the second game of back to back games of which they have yet to win any of the four they've played, and have been beaten by scores of 10-1, 7-1, and 7-1. Obviously the Pens have some issues that need to be corrected. I hope it happens sooner rather than later.
I didn't realize this was another back-to-back game. Something's off with the player's training this year.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
I didn't realize this was another back-to-back game. Something's off with the player's training this year.
Well this team has played more games than any other NHL team over the last 2 seasons. I'm inclined to believe that as a team they're a bit fatigued physically which manifests itself most on the second of back to back games. It's also understandable that the Pens may have a psychological letdown as a result of winning 2 championships back to back. These games in October must seem like an afterthought to players that have most recently played high intensity playoff hockey. Stanley Cup hangover is a real thing.

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 10-30-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Well this team has played more games than any other NHL team over the last 2 seasons. I'm inclined to believe that as a team they're a bit fatigued physically which manifests itself most on the second of back to back games. It's also understandable that the Pens may have a psychological letdown as a result of winning 2 championships back to back. These games in October must seem like an afterthought to players that have most recently played high intensity playoff hockey. Stanley Cup hangover is a real thing.
You may have something, tired and lack of focus in Oct.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:11 PM

Bruins are ahead 4-1 going into the 3rd period against Minnesota. Not sure how the Bruins will do this year. They've been underachieving the past couple of years.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:20 AM

What's up with Crosby? No goals in 9 games. The Pens are 29th in the league scoring at even strength. Consecutive Stanley Cups hangover?
Old 11-11-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
What's up with Crosby? No goals in 9 games. The Pens are 29th in the league scoring at even strength. Consecutive Stanley Cups hangover?
That's a very good question, and I suspect the answer is somewhat multi-faceted. There's no question that the fact that the Pens have played more games than any other NHL team over the past two seasons is a factor. Even more so in that they've won 2 consecutive Cups, are aware of the physical toll such a run requires and that energy expended now is not nearly as important as energy needed for the playoffs.

The Pens have every reason to be somewhat complacent given their recent success. All the teams they face however look to take a pound of flesh from the reigning champs and "make a statement". So with targets on their backs the Pens were gifted by the NHL schedule makers to play 16 games in the first 31 days of the season. They started the season with the toughest schedule in the NHL after having the shortest off-season.

As for Crosby he suffers from all of the above just like all of his teammates. Watching him play it's clear he's limiting his time in the dirty areas of the ice, not back checking with any enthusiasm and doesn't have that extra gear that has always defined his game in the past. In short Sid isn't showing the usual tenacity that we've all come to expect from him.

Having said that I expect at some point of the season the Pens will wake up, decide to have a go at a three-peat, and put their collective foot to the pedal. There is a real danger though that the decision may come too late if they continue to play as badly as they have so far and the losing becomes habit.

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 11-15-2017, 12:02 PM

Well Sid finally scored a goal (and an assist) last night against the Sabres. It wasn't a great performance by his usual standards (i.e. he had a lackadaisical giveaway behind his own net that resulted in a goal by Jack Eichel), but I guess it's a start. Hopefully he (and his teammates) gets more fully engaged as the season progresses.

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 11-15-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Well Sid finally scored a goal (and an assist) last night against the Sabres. It wasn't a great performance by his usual standards (i.e. he had a lackadaisical giveaway behind his own net that resulted in a goal by Jack Eichel), but I guess it's a start. Hopefully he (and his teammates) gets more fully engaged as the season progresses.
I think it was 11 games without a goal? Wow. Sid will come around.

How about the Arizona Coyotes? 2 wins? I wonder if this will be the season that forces Bettman's hand. I'm not one to want teams to relocate but I think it's time for this franchise.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
I think it was 11 games without a goal? Wow. Sid will come around.

How about the Arizona Coyotes? 2 wins? I wonder if this will be the season that forces Bettman's hand. I'm not one to want teams to relocate but I think it's time for this franchise.
I know the Coyotes have started poorly, but I haven't seen any home attendance figures for them. Are they not drawing well? Is there a lack of support in Phoenix that would justify a move or even encourage the League to force one? I don't follow the Western Conference so I'm in the dark about this. Any ideas where they might be likely to relocate?

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic