The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-17-2018, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

Default Source for large piece of bone

Does anyone know where I could get a piece of bone approx 1/2” x 7/16 x 2”

Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:23 PM

That is a large size, possibly not available in the luthier world, knife suppliers for hobby and professial knife makers have plenty in this size for making handles.

So long as you buy from a reputable business, you should have no grease leaching issues, They are generally dried in the same manner as bone used in guitars.

I buy from these folks with no problems.

https://www.texasknife.com/vcom/index.php

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

Last edited by mirwa; 02-17-2018 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:06 AM

I guess your femur is out?
Old 02-18-2018, 08:17 AM

Why not a Corian countertop sample from Home Depot.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:54 AM

The last time I needed a large piece the local butcher was happy to oblige. The local kitchen place gave me a box of corian scraps years ago and I'm still not done with it. Having a local luthier as a good friend hasn't hurt me either.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:17 PM

It would be hit or miss finding a piece that big in the pet store dog chew bin, but you might. It's cheap enough to find out.

A butcher can get you a 'beef pin bone', the upper part of the femur. Then you have to get all of the fat out of it.

Get one with some meat on it and make soup. Fish out the bone from the pot, put that in a big pot of clean water, and simmer it. When you see fat floating on the surface shave in some pure soap, such as 'Ivory'. Don't use any soap that has lotion in in, and don't use detergent. Soap has alkali in it that reacts with fat to make it soluble, but won't hurt the protein that holds the bone together. Detergent might soften it. Keep adding soap every time you see fat on the surface. When the water gets thick and soapy looking replace it with some fresh water and keep going until you don't see any fat on the surface of the water. Then boil it once in clean water, and dry it out. Obviously, this is easier to do if you heat your shop with a wood stove. You'll end up with material that is more 'bone' colored than the usual dog chew, and a bit harder. A final test is to put a piece in some white gas/Coleman fuel. If the liquid turns yellow there's still fat in the bone and you need to cook it some more.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Sorry gang, I meant processed, ready to machine bone. I'm looking for a project, but not that much of a project
Old 02-18-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Band Guitar View Post
Why not a Corian countertop sample from Home Depot.
From recollection, Corian samples are less than 2" ... IIRC they are nearer 1 15/16" square ... plus the corners are rounded off.

They do however make great key fobs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair