The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-10-2018, 05:42 AM

12 gauge with 00 Buck will give it that "Trigger " look.

"In The Wind"
Old 02-12-2018, 03:56 PM

I have built 2 guitars and have 3 more in the works. I have struggled to protect them during construction but all are covered with minor dings. I am finishing with shellac, so French polish. A friend pointed out that Martin has a new line emulating 50-75 year guitars that are selling well.

He says I have taped into the latest fad.

I have been making furniture and stuff for 30-40 years and lately helping friends refinish furniture, as it is so cheap to recycle old items. With furniture, it must look accidental, say damage that was repaired with TLC. Damage that was rubbed out with 0000 steelwool and wax. The clue will be looking at those old guitars from the 30-40s that are selling for several thousand $ . I have not done this but I did spend a lot of time looking over old imported French and British country stuff in 80-90s that was selling great around town at the time.

My first two guitars went to teenagers in my family, grand nephews. They love them but I'm sure they will be much more distressed in 10 years. But wax and steel wool will get them through like all wooden objects.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I find deliberately "distressing" a finish to be as equally silly as "relic-ing" a guitar to give it "mojo"
Distressing and relicing is (I suppose) much the same thing and though you and I may not choose to do it, surely it is the OP's choice and surely we should respect that?

There is the "Pre-War" brand of guitars, and Eastman are making a version of distressing on some of their models which I saw in a dealers and liked it.

Dave, the guy who now looks after my guitars makes copies of Fender and Gibson solids which he offers as new or reliced and make safar more "Waged" or distressed than "new" ones.

To the OP, might I suggest that you have a look at these websites :

https://www.pre-warguitars.com/distress-levels

http://atkinguitars.com/guitars/

https://www.eternal-guitars.com/

I hope that helps.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:22 PM

Get drunk, play with your buddies, order pizza, play some more, more beer, soon enough reliced the old fashion way.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:33 PM

I looked at the first web site listed above. What I saw did not appeal to me; over done and past attractive.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:41 PM

Do you have pics of the distressed guitar?
Old 09-22-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRtin View Post
Do you have pics of the distressed guitar?
2-3 year old thread and you are asking a question to no one in particular?

Welcome to AG. A stylized attempt rather than truly distressed.

Old 09-22-2020, 10:02 PM

I've restored expensive antiques for decades and was trained at the Boston Museum. Gaining the skill to make something new look old without making it look absurd is not something you'll learn on FaceBook.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:23 AM
Custom Guitars

I'm not a huge fan of the look but Pre War guitars in NC do a pretty good job of distressing their finishes/guitars and they look somewhat like authentic wear. I'd look at their website to see a few pics.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair