The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I was thinking along the lines of Rufus, the Emerald Hound. But naming a cat after a dog is just............... wrong.
Alice was telling me more about him from your blog, and I saw the additional photos.
OMG, Earl, I had forgotten the name of the Emerald logo - you are SO RIGHT! This was meant to be.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Nice addition to the family Jim , I think my Molly would approve.

Jon, we had a Molly - she was more like a person in a cat suit than a feline. I wrote a book about our travels with that girl: Cat On A Leash.

Cats with the "M" on the forehead are special and having an "M" name is great. Rufus has the "M," but came with the name Patches from the shelter. I know they give each animal a name to make them more adoptable, but this boy is no Patches.

Everyone who sees him comments about how good-looking he is. I know what a burden that can be.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:29 PM

Molly came to me with the name “Cuddles” , well obviously that had to go.

She ignores most name calling anyway, but answers to the slightest movement of a cat food container or the rattle of her particular bowl, may have perfect pitch ?
Old 02-10-2018, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax238 View Post
Congratulations on your new furry family member, Jim, and welcome to a loving family, Rufus.

We rescued Zephyr (male, below) and Willow (female, camera shy), who were originally named Anthony and Cleopatra at the shelter around 9 years ago. Zephyr adopted me. Willow adopted my wife. Our son, the cat whisperer, was adopted by both.

I've had the flu for the past week, and Zephyr and I have been having a napping competition - I never stood a chance.

He used to run away and hide when I brought a guitar out. Now he hangs with me and... umm... naps.

What a great looking cat, Barry! "Anthony and Cleopatra"... the shelter folks are clever about getting cats adopted together.

I know my conversion to "mushy cat Dad" happened when Molly came into our family. Then sweet Isabella completely captivated me. Not having had a boy before, some of this is new to me... but, this boy is a cuddler.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
What a great looking cat, Barry! "Anthony and Cleopatra"... the shelter folks are clever about getting cats adopted together.

I know my conversion to "mushy cat Dad" happened when Molly came into our family. Then sweet Isabella completely captivated me. Not having had a boy before, some of this is new to me... but, this boy is a cuddler.
We actually found them on a rescue web site and wanted a brother and sister. Made the drive into NYC twice to adopt them out of an apartment that had around 20 cats that were rescued from a shelter that did not have a no-kill policy (and one poor, very jumpy dog).

Now you've got me reminiscing about my own conversion.

I was ALWAYS a dog person before I met my wife, who told me that the cats were part of the package deal. Then I met Moondog (yup, you read that right), her gorgeous smoky grey (mostly) Maine Coon. I brought him an empty box, and it was love at first sight.

He favorite napping place was on my chest, with his nose tucked under my chin. If I stopped scratching his head, he'd wake up and head butt me under the chin.

He was voted into the Cat Hall of Fame on the first vote. It was unanimous. I have no doubt that Izzy will be as well.

Excuse the quality of the photo (I had to scan an old print). His eyes were piercing green.

Old 02-10-2018, 03:17 PM

My buddy Impy about 30 years ago... she was assistant motel Manager when I ran a motel my dad owned in Northern NJ for 15 years... she made it to 18...

Checking out one of the guests (Daisy) at my motel ... was an interesting experience for both... the lil cougar would imitate Impy's reactions ... right after this photo Daisy's tail fluffed up as well.

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-10-2018, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

I am enjoying the cat stories (tales? tails?).

Joan and our daughter are off doing some shopping - they left Rufus in charge of me. What could possibly go wrong? He has already proven himself to be a good boy... that makes one of us. I have never had another male in the family - pretty sure I'll be able to blame stuff on him.

Look at that great face...

Old 02-10-2018, 03:37 PM

Posted this to bring us back to composite guitars...sort of... some one said "you sing like a bird"... pretty sure they didn't mean me...

Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-10-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I am enjoying the cat stories (tales? tails?).

Joan and our daughter are off doing some shopping - they left Rufus in charge of me. What could possibly go wrong? He has already proven himself to be a good boy... that makes one of us. I have never had another male in the family - pretty sure I'll be able to blame stuff on him.

Look at that great face...

What a handsome face, and I like the white socks. I hope Rufus is up to the challenge. BTW, don't count on being able to blame things on him. I've never been able to get away with it.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Really keeping this on topic... I forgot to mention: Rufus did fine with the guitar playing and singing this morning! He was eating when I first got the guitar out - he looked my way... "This is a nice place - they have entertainment with their meal service."

He sat and watched for a while, then went back in the bedroom to have a little rest after his mid-morning snack. He kept his eyes on me the whole time, though. If I had to guess, I would say he likes James Taylor more than The Beatles.

He seems to like his new walking harness...

Old 02-11-2018, 10:24 AM

And...I'll be playing a lil gig at the Willo Historic Home tour today 2/11 from 10 till about 2 or 3 or 2:30...mostly piano stuff but will have the X 20 close. outside in front of the old firehouse on 7th Ave and Encanto in Phoenix... in case Unc Evy or anyone happens to be driving by... wave or something
Old 02-12-2018, 09:50 AM

I look forward to test playing your X20 when we get together in Phoenix a few days from now, Kramster.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

I posted this on the "Phoenix Carbon Fest" thread, but we enjoyed meeting Earl and Alice with this "preview" get together before Friday's gathering...

Besides making new friends and getting to put a face with the name, it was fun to make some music and swap guitars for bit. Earl's X20 12-string is a delightful guitar. Alice's flute playing adds another dimension to the acoustic playing.

They made a nice fuss over Rufus, even though he wasn't at his most social behavior... he did spend some time on Alice's lap.

Twelve days since the last Rufus update - he is coming along nicely with his leash training...

And, is stylin' in his new hoodie...

I had heard about male cats being "sweet and cuddly" - you can't believe everything you read...

Old 02-23-2018, 11:02 PM
Charter Member

The carbon fiber get-together at Kramster's was a lot of fun. Kramster started a new thread about it, so rather than just repeat what all went on, I'll post some personal impressions here...

Of all the CF guitars there (and there were a bunch), Kramster's X20 was my favorite of the "larger guitars." It was nice to play one again, since mine is back home in Texas. Earl's X20 12-string, with a custom neck and 24.6" scale would put that right at the top if I were in the market for a 12-string.

For the more "intimate size" guitars, there was also a nice variety: Emerald X7, CA Cargo, and three that I haven't had the opportunity to play before: Blackbird Savoy, Blackbird Lucky 13, and the JourneyOF660. Of those three, the one that surprised me the most was the OF660... more bass and better tone than I expected, but not as light weight as I expected (I assume that detachable neck hardware adds some weight). All three are very nice guitars. If I were ranking them for my preference it would be: Savoy (Gold Medal), Lucky 13 (Silver Medal), and OF660 (Bronze Medal)... just keeping it in the Olympics theme. Each one is a winner it its own right. My preference in that size range is still the Emerald X7, though. The Savoy and OF665 both have a scale of 24.5", the Lucky 13 is 24.75. The X7 has a 24" scale; the Cargo is 22.75" and just feels a bit too cramped to me. Nice tone, though. Another guitar Kramster had in this size is a prototype of the McPherson Touring (the smaller model CF that they make). I had the opportunity to play a production model this past summer, and found it to be a very nice guitar, good tone, excellent workmanship; again, the 22.75" scale puts this in the same category as the Cargo for me, though.

RainSong has made a range of sizes and finishes, but my preference from that manufacturer is still the Shorty/OM body size - a good balance of size, sound, and comfort. I think Emerald and Blackbird are offering updated designs, tone and materials that puts them ahead of RainSong with their current offerings. Again, a personal opinion, and not a putdown of RainSong.

There wasn't a single CF guitar I played today that was "meh."

Using the tongue-in-cheek term "vintage CF," I enjoyed playing Kramster's Emerald X10...

Yes, someone should tell my face - no idea why I wasn't smiling... maybe I just realized there was a camera pointing at me? I like the size. Sounds good. The ergonomics of the current X7 and X20 show how much thought has gone into those designs compared to this non-current model.

I have done a couple Taylor Road Shows in the past; always enjoyed them, and learned something. This was even more fun today, since it wasn't all about one manufacturer and there were so many cool CF guitars to play.

Thanks again to Earl for making this happen in a timely fashion, and to Kramster for sharing his home and "collection." It was a very good time.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:34 PM

I had heard about male cats being "sweet and cuddly" - you can't believe everything you read...

[/QUOTE]

Looks like the new guy is settling in quite nicely!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber